Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #46
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I thought I was going to spend all day working on the Minsk, but after spending just a few minutes on it I realized that my garage was a wreck. I spent a couple of hours cleaning and organizing, then took a good look around and realized it looked exactly the damn same. So I gave up. Who needs a functional workspace anyway?

My mom is a muralist (http://wolfmurals.com), so I thought it would be fun to squander her talent by having her help me spray paint block letters onto a motorcycle. I need to repaint this rear cowl, but I don't want to lose the lettering.

She traced it all, then she will transfer it to oil board and make a stencil for it.

I don't have a blasting cabinet, so I used my die grinder with abrasive wheels to strip the paint off. The dust I inhaled from this will no doubt end my life within the week.

Does anybody have any idea where I can find one of these that is less broken in half?

I do have the other piece, and I could take better pictures if anybody thinks they can source one.

I broke it while smashing my exhaust slip-joint back together with a rock in Thailand.

Next up: repainting the engine. I'm hoping to do this tomorrow.

'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #47
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 560
TO REGISTER THEM

I am not familiar with the registration process in the US or your state in particular, but a friend of mine who would like to remain nameless managed to import and register a rotary Norton into California.
The most important thing seemed to be having the engine number from a legally imported bike, he bought some commando cases from an autojumble, made up a plate with the number on and glued it over the original.
He took it for registration, it was inspected for safety, the number was checked against their register and came up as ok, job done.
If you live in a state which has the exhaust gas analysed on bikes you might have a problem.
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #48
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
Well, more power to ya!!! Hey, I've taken on some projects that others had THEIR doubts about...the prime point in my mind was that it was MY project...not theirs!

So, hey, all is well! Good luck!

Well said....my first instinct was utter horror....I'm getting over the initial shock now.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #49
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5
Does anybody have any idea where I can find one of these that is less broken in half?

I do have the other piece, and I could take better pictures if anybody thinks they can source one.

I broke it while smashing my exhaust slip-joint back together with a rock in Thailand.
There is a guy on ebay who selld ural parts who sometimes has Minsk stuff. Try asking him. http://myworld.ebay.com/mastersss/
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #50
airhead78
Murciano

Oddometer: 68
Inimitable!

Ok Mullet 5. Really, really cool. You have left me speechless.

But now I am curious as to what motivates this irrational foray into motorcycling masochism

Any ideas? Anyone...
airhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #51
aplaceinspace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead78
Ok Mullet 5. Really, really cool. You have left me speechless.

But now I am curious as to what motivates this irrational foray into motorcycling masochism

Any ideas? Anyone...
Are you looking for a serious answer to that? Here? In a forum where a large chunk of the population is dedicated to working on archaic german machinery?

Its a sickness, I tell ya.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #52
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Tejava!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #53
JLeather
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 293
Dude, that episode of Top Gear just made my day.
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #54
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau
Tejava!!!!!!!!!!!
I was wondering if anybody was going to pick up on that...

Tejava is not only an excellent positioning tool that no professional paint booth (or garage floor) should be without, but the most frickin' delicious beverage ever put into a 40oz bottle.
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #55
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5
I don't have a blasting cabinet, so I used my die grinder with abrasive wheels to strip the paint off. The dust I inhaled from this will no doubt end my life within the week.
That's why I love old school threads.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #56
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Did you check the bikes over with a docimeter before riding around VN on them, or sanding that paint off? I swear they rode those at Cheyrnoble to clean up the uh, er....mess.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #57
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeather
Dude, that episode of Top Gear just made my day.
its also reminiscent of the Botswana episode in which hammond names his car (a 1963 Opel Kadett) Oliver, refuses to damage it in anyway while the other two utterly destroy theirs- and after the trip, has it shipped back with him to england.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #58
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau
its also reminiscent of the Botswana episode in which hammond names his car (a 1963 Opel Kadett) Oliver, refuses to damage it in anyway while the other two utterly destroy theirs- and after the trip, has it shipped back with him to england.
Which is why my favorite show on tele is Top Gear.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #59
airhead78
Murciano

Oddometer: 68
It must be the challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplaceinspace
Are you looking for a serious answer to that? Here? In a forum where a large chunk of the population is dedicated to working on archaic german machinery?

Its a sickness, I tell ya.
Mmm... I am into archaich german machinery myself and even more esoteric italian "tractors" (if they are red). My sickness is well developed and seems unabated and uncurable . Nevertheless, this project requires limitless ambition and perseverance against all reasonable odds, that I would not even dream of possesing.

Nothing seems to stop Mullet 5, not the source or the $$ or the intractable condition or intrinsic quality of the- gasp-machine(s) (for lack of a better word)...

Yes, madness... not just a sickness, must be the answer. That or the challenge of the chase...
airhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #60
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,905
If I were you I'd just buy any old street legal enduro, does'nt mater if its demolished, all you want is the title. Register it and stamp the numbers on the frame and if you insist on getting it inspected go to some old mom and pop garage where they would'nt know OR CARE what the hell it is as long as the numbers match. And the good part is if you get caught they'll probably just impound the bike and then you'll be rid of it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote