ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,736
I'm buying a neck brace

I probably wouldn't be on Vicodine Vacation(tm) right now if I had been wearing one on Monday.

We went up to Snyder creek to test out the new toy hauler and ride with my son this weekend.

On Monday, the kids headed home & Paula and I went out to look for a tool bag she lost the day before. On Sunday night we had quite the windstorm. The trails were periodically blocked with fresh blow down.

We were coming down Motorcycle Hell in one of the tree tunnels when I spotted a downed tree ahead. The down tree distracted me from a pair of trees that was less than handlebar width apart. I clocked the trees, slamming my bars full left and augering me into the ground. I launched head first into a tree and immediately saw stars and felt my upper back get wrenched from my head getting pushed forward.

I was a bit dizzy & had to sit there for 5 minutes. A couple riders behind us came along & helped pick up my bike, and rode it around the fallen tree. I gimped back to camp where I immediately started icing my back while PR did all of the packing and bike loading.

Diagnosis from the Dr. was the same as my assessment: pulled muscles & ligaments. Rx for vicodine and flexerol. I see the chiropractor today. Looks like I won't be riding for a bit.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 684
I wear the leatt and really like it. Very comfortable and has saved my neck more then once. I wear it all the time , even when riding on slab.
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,689
Bummer Jeff!

Heal well and fast.

Last year it was the ladies getting all jacked up and this year it is the men.

Be careful folks.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
gee
Safety First

Oddometer: 808
I feel your pain, my neck is just starting to feel better. When checking out neck braces be sure to consider your chest protector and hydration system, getting them to all play nice was a little bit of a challenge.

Since I jacked up my neck last March I've ridden 4 times, last Friday on Double Top I tore the MCL in my knee and am out yet again. This getting old sucks.

Hope you heal up quick.
gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,849
Bummer Jeff. on the neckbrace idea. I haven't gotten a HANS device yet, but probably should.

I wrenched my neck last year on July 16th when I did a Superman off my bike on Moody. Went head first into a tree, ruining $450 worth of Arai's finest. 14 months later, I still have numbness in my right arm, and a few "dead spots" of feeling in my face, neck and shoulder. Doctor says that feeling will eventually come back. The nerves just get "shocked" from the sudden jolt. A neck brace probably would have prevented a great deal of that damage. (So would better riding skills on my part, but we won't get into that here )

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Zak Smith

Oddometer: 506
I wear my Leatt pretty much all the time on the bike. Doesn't take long to get used to, but make sure the front/rear adjustments are set right or else it can be hard to look "up" big hills.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee
I feel your pain, my neck is just starting to feel better. When checking out neck braces be sure to consider your chest protector and hydration system, getting them to all play nice was a little bit of a challenge.

Since I jacked up my neck last March I've ridden 4 times, last Friday on Double Top I tore the MCL in my knee and am out yet again. This getting old sucks.

Hope you heal up quick.
Yikes! Sorry to hear about the MCL.

I just got in from the chiro. The x-rays showed it all. I pushed the lowest vertebrae in my neck out of position. The impinged nerves there are causing all of the back pain symptoms. It's good to know exactly what I need to treat and where to ice now. I had been icing the sore spots, when I should have been focusing higher on the spine. Doc wants me to keep icing heavily for the next few days and I'll see him again on Friday. Hopefully, getting the inflammation under control will alleviate most of the sypmtoms.

It looks like at least 2 weeks off the bikes.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,966
After my recent get off (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hp?t=615803) I had to get a new helmet so while I was at it I got a neck brace too.

I went w/ the Alpinestars bionic neck brace because I found it less obtrusive than the Leatt.

Good suggestion on testing how it all fits w/ armor and camelback. I wear a Fox Titan Pressure suit nad have had to do some trimming to get the neck brace to sit properly.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,366
I have a Leatt and really should wear it more often. I find the brace reasonably comfortable, it's integrating it with the rest of my riding gear that is a hassle.

I really wish a few more companies would start making enduro jackets that are Leatt compatible... There are three that I know of: Klim Adventure (absurdly expensive), Acerbis whatever (ugly, expensive), and the Troy Lee (any color you want as long as it's black, moderately expensive).

What's so freaking hard about adapting their product line to current trends in protective gear?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,966
Fox just came out w/ a Leatt jacket. Performance has them in stock and they are reasonably priced. Great selection of color: black, black and black!

My issue is that if it's hot enough I dont need a jacket, but when it's cold or raining I need my neck sealed off and none of the jackets seem to address the issue.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Mtncrzr
Just Kidding, not really

Oddometer: 1,213
Hope you get well soon...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
simple
noob this

Oddometer: 249
AXO just came out with a Leatt compatible enduro jacket as well.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
I have seen a lot of folks out there with just a brace and roost guard. What I haven't seen is a brace and something like a 661 pressure suit. I am trying to imagine any problems between the two. Anyone have that setup?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
I have seen a lot of folks out there with just a brace and roost guard. What I haven't seen is a brace and something like a 661 pressure suit. I am trying to imagine any problems between the two. Anyone have that setup?
I've worn my Leatt with a Fox full sleeve pressure suit, naked with a long sleeve microfiber shirt underneath or with a riding jersey on top of it all.

Works out pretty well one it is all "installed", but it takes a bit of practice to get it all on without any help! Putting an enduro jacket on top of both the pressure suit and brace is wear things start to get really clumsy.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
I've worn my Leatt with a Fox full sleeve pressure suit, naked with a long sleeve microfiber shirt underneath or with a riding jersey on top of it all.

Works out pretty well one it is all "installed", but it takes a bit of practice to get it all on without any help! Putting an enduro jacket on top of both the pressure suit and brace is wear things start to get really clumsy.

Thanks. The only jacket I ride with is a rain jacket. Don't usually wear a jersey...so it sounds like it should work for me.