ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #61
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,001
I was going to get one of these, but just couldn't seem to pull the trigger. I think I'm going to get a roll of 3/8 inch copper and make one. There is a thread about someone who made one on KLR650.net. You just form it and then spray foam oner it. Walla custom neck brace. The only bitch is not being able to take it off ever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Leatt brace.. penny tech KLR edition

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #62
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,322
Hey cross-country...that bugged-eyed closeup view of your twin-headlight setup in your post pic looks about like what I saw that day last May up on the Beef Basin road...except it was moving...and more blurred.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #63
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I'm just going to velcro one of these around me. Will also come in handy during one of my many frequent naps.

Here is a better option to give you a real tiime neck massage while riding:
Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #64
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,577
And if you think Geek's neck muscle guy was photoshopped, then check out the freaks on this page:
http://www.ibeatyou.com/competition/...est-muscle-man
Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #65
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Ordered the Leatt adventure yesterday.

I was pointed toward the Kali Aatma as a reasonably priced light weight helmet. Have one on the way.

While I may venture out on the street this weekend, I'm going to wait another couple weeks before hitting the trail.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #66
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 939
Thread resurrection.....

Since my boy is getting more and more into the MX thing, I went ahead and ordered Leatt braces for both of us. It makes Momma happier by far. The boy actually asked me to get him one after seeing all the fast guys, including his buddies, wearing them. There could be worse trends to follow I guess.

Are any of you guys having trouble with clavicle breaks? That seems to be the one problem reported with the Leatt braces. I'm all for not snapping my neck, but I don't want to break my clavicle either.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #67
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Thread resurrection.....

Since my boy is getting more and more into the MX thing, I went ahead and ordered Leatt braces for both of us. It makes Momma happier by far. The boy actually asked me to get him one after seeing all the fast guys, including his buddies, wearing them. There could be worse trends to follow I guess.

Are any of you guys having trouble with clavicle breaks? That seems to be the one problem reported with the Leatt braces. I'm all for not snapping my neck, but I don't want to break my clavicle either.
I've augered straight onto my head and not broken a clavicle. But then, my family are kinda stout like that.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #68
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Thread resurrection.....

Any impact on your brace hard enough to break a clavicle would probably snap your neck.

It's kind of like the arguments the anti-helmet crowd uses. Helmets may contribute to neck injuries, but without the helmet, the same accident would have resulted in traumatic brain brain injury.

Choose the lesser injury.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #69
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Are any of you guys having trouble with clavicle breaks?
May want to check out these. No personal experience, but they're getting more popular lately: http://www.omegabrace.com/

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #70
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Any impact on your brace hard enough to break a clavicle would probably snap your neck.

It's kind of like the arguments the anti-helmet crowd uses. Helmets may contribute to neck injuries, but without the helmet, the same accident would have resulted in traumatic brain brain injury.

Are you still using the Adventure model you referenced above? That is the unit I got for my boy. It was for sale in the main flea market. Seller claimed that he wore it twice and didn't like it so it has no use at all. After buying that one for the boy, I ordered a GPX Club 3 for myself. I looked into the Omega and did all the research and due dilligence I could for about a week after Christmas to get all the info I could find before I ordered them. The Leatts had the best reviews and I really like the fact that they are made with the cooperation of medical professionals and enthusiasts working together.

Homer, me and my family are stout like that as well. We've also been accused of being midwestern sturdy! No pencil necks here! In fact, growing up strengthening our necks as wrestlers, we have been accused of not having any necks to protect in the first place.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #71
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

Neck or clavicle, hum? I'll take the broken clavicle over a broken neck any day.

I've only tested the Leatte once and no broken neck or clavicle.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #72
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Are you still using the Adventure model you referenced above? That is the unit I got for my boy. It was for sale in the main flea market. Seller claimed that he wore it twice and didn't like it so it has no use at all. After buying that one for the boy, I ordered a GPX Club 3 for myself. I looked into the Omega and did all the research and due dilligence I could for about a week after Christmas to get all the info I could find before I ordered them. The Leatts had the best reviews and I really like the fact that they are made with the cooperation of medical professionals and enthusiasts working together.
Yes, 2 years with the Adventure model now. Works great. I modified my chest protector slightly for it to fit better. I need to get a gaiter to fit over the brace for colder weather/rain.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #73
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,653
Clavicle = fuse panel of the body
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #74
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,911
Quote:

Homer, me and my family are stout like that as well. We've also been accused of being midwestern sturdy! No pencil necks here! In fact, growing up strengthening our necks as wrestlers, we have been accused of not having any necks to protect in the first place.
Similar stock. And HellSickle's point is valid. I'd rather break my collar bone than my neck even if protecting drastically increases the odds of a busted collar bone.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #75
dougrender
Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer: 1,098
No one has done less research on this than me, but what I've "heard" is that much as modern ski boots protect your ankle and blow your ACL, that knee braces save your MCL and break your femur, and that neck braces save your neck and break your spine.

You're restricting movement of the most flexible joint, and transmitting force to the less flexible joint. I don't like the sound of either a broken neck or a broken back, but it seems to my basic understanding of physiology that the neck has evolved with more flexibility than the spine.

Is there any merit to this thinking? That said, I'm looking at the Omega...

-Doug

Two weeks in Thailand and Vietnam and all you get are these blurry pictures and rambling text.
dougrender is offline   Reply With Quote