Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Eek SQUIDVENTURE Trans Labrador

Hello again

I write this after completing an incredible journey with five friends all riding different brands of bikes across four Provinces on the East Coast of Canada. This ride took us two weeks to complete and amounted to a little over 5000kms. Like the bikes, the characters riding them were of all ages, personalities, and professions. The one thing we all have in common is a great friendship, better sense of humour, and the ability to have more fun than the law will allow.

We collected over 1222 pictures and videos and enough stories to last a lifetime. I will begin this thread and add onto it each night until done. I'm just hoping some of the lads will sober up enough to chime in here now and then to put a different perspective to this story. In my previous ride report "SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica" I kept a daily liquor log, that just was not possible with this troop

I quick history of this trip takes us back two years ago where a co-worker and best friend of mine (Trailslapper) started taking about seeing Labrador. His dislike of the high seas resulted in our waiting for the phase III section of the Trans Lab to be completed. Over this time we had the Mongoose sign on with us on his GS650, Amish on my old KLR650, Abe on his new Honda Veradero, before mentioned Greg on his Kawi Versys and me on my new to me KTM 990 Adventure.

Over those two years we collected a ton of info from here (advrider). We also wanted to take this trip up a notch so we solicited a friend who created our Squidventure Trans - Lab logo as well as stickers (Thanks BIG time Shawn !!!!). We had t-shirts made up with names as well as our logos. We made a point to leave behind a path of these stickers at the places we have visited. Maybe you will see some of them if you visit this amazing land of the north.

Up next, Day 1 - departure from Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia to Campbellton New Brunswick.

Hope you enjoy the ride

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
I'm in.....

I have future plans to see Eastern Canada again including the Trans Lab, Cape Breton etc, so I'm all ears.....
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia - Campbellton New Brunswick

Lets have a look at that logo first off
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Now a look at the bikes

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Some odometer shots

Mongooses Beemer
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Abe's new Varadero
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

The greatest motorcycle of all time "the KTM 990 Adventure"
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

My old ride and now new Amishmobile
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Now the before Tire pics

The Varadero's Continental TKC
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

The KLR's Mefo Explorer
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

The BMW GS650's Kenda 761 (? I believe)
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

The KTM's Pirelli MT90's

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
I wish you looked like this now !!!

Up next - On the road

Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Ya got me..I'm in..

Ken

Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Enroute to Campbellton

Meeting up with Greg about an hour in
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Stopping in Moncton New Brunswick to see our buddy Shawn who drafted up our logos for the trip. Those logo's really made the trip for us and you will see them re-appear through out this report. Big thanks Shawn !!!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Our first and only real rain shower over our two week trip in Bathurst New Brunswick. It only came down long enough for us to stop and put on the Frog Togs.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

From what we could only guess, we think this was a shot of Amish trying to mate with an overpass ?!!!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG] Get use to Amish getting cut up. At 26, he was the youngest on the trip and gave us daily ammo to use against him. Funny doesn't come close to explaining the Amish factor on this trip !!!

Once in Campbellton, on a tip from a hotel staff we found the perfect place. We were able to rent out for the night a 5 bedroom duplex with two kitchens and two baths, fully furnished and semi stocked kitchen for breakfast. We didn't need it yet, but it also came with a washer and dryer. During the school year it is for students but over the summer the lady rents out rooms in it. We got the whole thing for $175.00.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Out first "stamp"
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Living room
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

First Group Shot (done up like the wild west )

Photobucket

Now for an evening of eating and drinks (get used to the latter )

Amish was on corn detail
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Our five star meal
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Then to wash it down with a little
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
and
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Resulted on the first Amish passed out photoshoot.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Hope he didn't catch that off of that overpass ???

Signing off with our first video of the GPS readout of our days run. Get used to the big numbers .
[IMG][/IMG]

Next entry, Campbellton New Brunswick into Quebec to ride around the outside of the Gaspe Bay Peninsula.

High Side screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 06:54 PM
Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Oh...

I am in for this one! Sub-scribed. Local boy does good....(I hope)

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I'm in. I hope you have some after pictures of the tires as well. BTW, that Varadero is the best bike of the bunch

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,301
My GF told me there was some Rhum in this ridereport?

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Tinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325

Subscribed!!!
: )

Ride em if you got em!

Tinner screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 06:01 PM
Tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Looks good, in

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Campbellton to Gaspe Bay Quebec

First off, todays entry is brought to you by the letters H.U.N.G. O.V.E.R.
We had our video/picture/my birthday party, here last night. It marked the first time we were all together since the trip. At the end of the night, the hiccups were our only means to communicate with one another.

Off we go then.

Our second morning into the journey started bright and sunny, but about 2kms on the road we started to get rain. We ducked into a Walmart parking lot and made the best of their cart return bins.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Of course, once we were all Frog Togged up, the rain stopped and the days riding was perfect.

From Campbellton, you cross via a bridge over to the Gaspe Bay in Quebec. The quickest route would be to directly north to Matane. We allowed for the time so we chose to ride around the outside of the peninsula adding roughly 650kms to our adventure.

After crossing the border we stopped at a tourist centre to absorb the culture in this historic rich area.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Surprisingly the south side of this peninsula is very touristy. You basically ride from one community to the next with the ocean (going counter clockwise) on your right and the mountains to the left. Its ok, but was not what we expected.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Traffic is heavy and making time difficult. To add to this dilemma, a group of approx. 100 Harley strong club members were also touring this area. It was like trying to pass Pirates of the Caribbean. The larger bikes of our group broke trail. Trailslapper and I had Cardo headsets so we were able to communicate back and fourth. I was able to give him the traffic situation on the blind crests and corners. The Blackbeard clan must of though he was crazy, but I was his eyes up the road from them. Poor Amish though. Lacking the HP, his getting through this group took much longer and after us four coming through they were less than hospitable in allowing his progress. The good news was that he at least had Bananaramma to listen to on his girlfriends iPod. Listening to that music while being stuck mid-pack in a 10 km below the speed limit cruiser tour while riding a KLR, ladies and gentlemen . . . Hell has just been redefined.

The south coast was otherwise uneventful until reaching Perce.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

It was funny, we rode down to this area that was off limits to vehicles. I guess I need to catch up on my French reading skills. A tourist employee approached us to ask us to leave. Before leaving I asked him if he would take our picture. The guy ended up doing a photo shoot with all of our cameras. Too nice. Here are a few:
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Photobucket[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

After Perce, the roads became fun again. Back to corners and mountains with little traffic. We were able to get back on the road before the Tall Ship Clan caught up with us so Amish was spared the wrath.

We pulled over in Point St. Pierre for some more photos that had Perce as a back drop:
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Up next, our first camping experience . . .

High Side screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 07:02 PM
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,298
The Trans Lab is becoming more and more popular... 2 of my local riding buds did it this summer too.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Overnight at Fort Ramsay

We camped in an area just outside of the town of Gaspe. This was roughly the 1/2 way point of our peninsula tour. The campsite was called Fort Ramsay. The people who ran this campground/motel were fantastic. The site came with wi/fi and very clean bathroom/shower/laundry facilities. Our cost for two lots, five people was $70.00. Very fair I thought. Had to pay for firewood, but that is the norm.

Our great pricing may have been in part due to Amish's tent size. I had stated earlier that Amish won the laugh fest award. Here is another example. Up to this point Amish had been very vocal, bragging no less, about how little his new tent occupied space in his pannier. Amish purchased this tent almost a year prior to our departure, but never got around to putting it up. To everyones hysterics, once put up the tent was about the size of a bag that bread comes in.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
This tent gave us daily joy. It would have been confining to a grade five vegetarian girl with stunted growth.

Its hard to spot here because its hidden behind that helmet
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

My executive office
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Abe by his Varadero and beside Amish's toaster cozy.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

We through in the shoe to give a scale of size.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

We used the picnic table to support our tarp to keep us dry while enjoying some "refreshments". A little rain over the evening, but at least we weren't riding.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Our campsite.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

One thing that was becoming reoccurring at our stops weather it was at campgrounds, gas stations, coffee shops, everywhere was the people who approached us to talk. Everyone wanted to know where we were from, where we were going, how we could carry so much beer ( ) all offering advice, wishing us a safe journey, even inviting us out to parties. The people that we met throughout this adventure were top notch.

I didn't have a GPS pic of this days run. I recorded that our distance traveled was 347kms with a top speed of 166km, must have caught a tail wind .

High Side screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 07:08 PM
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO1MX
I'm in. I hope you have some after pictures of the tires as well. BTW, that Varadero is the best bike of the bunch

Yes we do have the after pics of the tires, or lack there of in some cases. I will conclude this thread with those.
From what I could make out of the Varadero in my mirrors its seemed like a very nice retirement motorcycle . . .

Can't wait for this one, Abe, you out there ?