Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
South Florida to Alaska, and back - another year, another long ride!

In the summer of '13, I left my home in South Florida and rode all the way to Alaska, in a 10-week, 19,000 miles journey across the US and Canada. Trip of a lifetime for sure, but as my good friend Alcan Rider was wise enough to tell me in advance, it just turned to be a first taste of what the Northwest has to offer. I came back home realizing it has a LOT to offer, and kept dreaming about returning earlier than my '15 planned return to Alaska.

By a lucky combination of events, fate ended up having me going back on yet another long road trip this very summer. This time around, my trusty '12 GSA is being replaced by a new '14 GSA LC, and I almost feel sorry for her, seeing how shiny and brand-new looking the poor thing is right now. In a few weeks more, it will look nothing like that...

Last year, I didn't write a trip report until the whole journey was completed. No time left to do much more than riding and photographing, and keeping my personal blog updated around once a week. I'm predicting even less time to be spent online this year, for the whole idea is to enjoy the road, pay close attention to the things and places I missed the first time around and be out there photographing even more. In any case, I decided it should be worth posting a link to my blog here, so whenever I update the site, I will be able to share it with this great community of kindred spirits.

In any case, I'm leaving in a few hours more, and here's to many memorable miles ahead. Hope to be meeting some of you out there!

The link to my blog is here, and the still unnamed poor thing I will be riding can be seen below:

[IMG]doserpa.com/alaska14/Alaska-14-Pre-Ride-04.jpg[/IMG]

PhotoMotoAdv screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 04:47 AM
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Rick_Blaine
transit papers

Oddometer: 2
Well, you got the jump on me.... did florida/alaska in 2013 as well... think we might have chatted at the BMW dealer a month or so ago when you had just picked up your new ride.... Catch ya "way up north" , not heading out of Ft Lauderdale till the end of the month... a little tired of this background:

and ready for this:

Rick_Blaine screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 07:52 AM
Rick_Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ricardo be safe out there Bro, just read all of the last trip blog this AM.

Cant wait for your daily blogs, I kinda got hooked on reading travel blogs as my niece is a hiking triple crown holder of thru hikes (PCT,APT,CDT) trails she finished last summer. Youngest person to have ever done all them, 13 years old.

lonrides1
2008 Versys With The Sons Permission
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

[QUOTE=Rick_Blaine;24398841]Well, you got the jump on me.... did florida/alaska in 2013 as well... think we might have chatted at the BMW dealer a month or so ago when you had just picked up your new ride.... Catch ya "way up north" , not heading out of Ft Lauderdale till the end of the month... a little tired of this background:

Hi Rick, I remember our quick chat the dealer when I was picking up the new GSA - which is by the way as amazing on the road as all the others reports were indicating. I rode 500 miles today, all of them very uneventful as I'm trying to get to the Alcan as fast as possible, but it was a lot of fun anyway discovering how the new bike handles.

I hear you when you say you're getting of that typical Florida background. Hope to be meeting you up North when you get there! Safe travels, and stay in touch.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrides1 View Post
Ricardo be safe out there Bro, just read all of the last trip blog this AM.

Cant wait for your daily blogs, I kinda got hooked on reading travel blogs as my niece is a hiking triple crown holder of thru hikes (PCT,APT,CDT) trails she finished last summer. Youngest person to have ever done all them, 13 years old.

lonrides1
That's incredible, congrats on your niece accomplishments! Thanks for checking last year's posts on the blog as well, this year it won't really start until I'm around Wyoming and Montana. From last year's experience, that's when the riding up North starts to feel like something really different.