User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
Dirty3 OP
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 112
OZ - Victorian High Country Ramble

I've had my KTM since July 2013 and have really only taken day rides for a few hours or so. Being relatively new to this type of riding/touring.
So with holidays available and a house in country Victoria rented for a week, i decided to ride to the destination and meet the family the following day.

And so my mini adventure began…..
I have driven this route before in a 4x4 but never on a bike. Given I was not entirely confident as to how i would fare a long ride and not having entirley researched the distance, but had a fair idea, i set off early in the morning to allow plenty of time to stop and rest, have some food, fuel and a bit of sight seeing along the way. With no time limit, I allowed around 6-8 hours to arrive at my destination of Jamieson. In a car i can do it in 3 hours via main roads, via the route i was taking i'd allow 4 hours by car.

Leaving the burbs of Melbourne around 7:45am. I arrived at around 9:00am in Warburton a nice little town nestled in the hills and the last fuel stop for 150-200km's. But i didnt get fuel, just a bit of breaky at the well known bakery. After a coffee & Pie i was on my way.
The next part of the journey is the Reefton Spur. A really nice bit of tar, lots o twisties climbing up to higher parts of the region. This road now has a limit of 80km's, but many a sprtks bile can do it fstaer, but or me and my ability i was more than happy. I reckon i could only average 50-60km's any way due to bike loaded with a bag of kit, unfamiliar road & rider.

Fehrings Clearing - Warburton-Woods Point Rd photo IMG_1195_zpsbe6c882d.jpg

Anyway, turned off the Reefton Spur onto the Woods Point road. This is a dirt road for around 80km's till the next town of Matlock. Not much in Matlock it's an old mining settlement that was never really the same after the 1939 bush fires. The road to matlock and Woods Point is a wide gravel road with pasture on sometimes either side. At this particular time of year it would be nromally dry but the grass was beautiful green with wild flowers in bloom still. Gotta be global warming??
Thsi road is well maintained and even the pot holes were being filled by a road crew along this stretch. Not to be after Woods Point however.

After about 30kms all of a sudden a stretch o 9km's of tar appears. This is a most beutiful section of road, fast, winding, wide open, stunning vistas, solid line all the way. Just magnificent. See first part of Video later in this report.

Arrived at Woods Point around 11:30am. I was totally surprised by the time it had actually taken me to ride to get here. So i treated myself to a counter meal & beer at the pub.
Outside Woods Point Hotel photo IMG_1197_zps061471f4.jpg

For those not from around here, Woods Point is straight out of the gold rush era, still today they mine gold up the road at the A1 mine. It has an old history and was built, perched upon rocky steep valley. One road in and out.

Hunger satiated, i hop on the orange steed and proceed to my next destination and stop over or the next week to the township of Jamieson. Its another gold rush town and one I have visited many times since I was a wee lad. Anyway, the road changed from gravel to dirt/clay road. Much drier than the previous leg and a little more difficult to ride as the bike tended to not go where i wanted it to, so had to use a more dirt style of riding technique to get around the corners. The road was hard packed, but the bike wanted to slide and become less stable, kicking out occasionally. I thought I was getting tired but it was definitely not the same.
Plus i had the added bonus of many more vehicles oncoming on this stretch. I had a few rest stops along the way to cool down as it was heating up plus I didn't want to get too fatigued and figured I had still plenty of time with no real time restrictions to worry about.
Gaffneys Creek photo IMG_1199_zps2a7f42f9.jpg

Eventually I arrived in Jamieson around 2:30pm.

The following week I was able to do a few shorter day trips. Out the Licola Road, again leaving early morning to avoid any vehicles and to catch the views of the surrounding hills.

Jamieson River from Foots Bridge photo IMG_1211_zpsb5032f65.jpg

Jamieson Township - early morning fog photo IMG_1215_zpsfad06d9d.jpg

Ater a weeks rest, another early start I took the Eildon Road from Jamieson an hour of twisty tar, dodging wildlife such as rabbits, Rosella's & one Wallaby, winding its way from up high down to the lower farmland.

On the road again photo P1110891_zps5c5823b4.jpg
Lookout above Eildon Weir - Jamieson-Eildon Rd photo IMG_1205_zps7017f2e6.jpg

On the way stopping at Eildon Weir to see the dam wall and watch the huge carp feeding of the wall edge. form there a beautiful ride into Marysville for breaky at the bakery.

Main Street Marysville photo IMG_0913_zps37561c61.jpg

I was home by noon. Again surprising myself how little time was actually taken and all the while i thought i was going slow, taking to time to absorb the views and the time to myself, just me and my bike.
Gotta love it.

Check out my video on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/WcyZyg18wQk

Neil.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Best bike ever!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
+1

I think it was a mistake for KTM to stop production of the LC4 type bikes. IMO if they brought in a 400-500 cc version they would sell like hot cakes.

I liked your RR and will only make one suggestion for a solo rider. Get a spot tracker. There are many areas where your mobile /cell phone reception is poor and if that wallaby had put you down, you are in trouble. Ask me how I know!

Your family will also have to comfort of tracking your progress on the PC. This allowed my wife to direct the emergency services to my exact location.

Another item that will improve your riding experience is a GPS on a ram mount. You can use Basecamp to preplan your rides and transfer that info to your GPS. When done then you can upload your track to www.transaustraliatrail.com.au so we can all see where you went on the map and download it if we wanted to go there too.

Before you ask, I am using a Garmin 62s and a Garmin Rino 650.
I sort of like the buttons on the 62S rather than the touch screen, when it is dusty.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to your next report. PM me when you do one please in case I miss it.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Dirty3 OP
Just add sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I liked your RR and will only make one suggestion for a solo rider. Get a spot tracker. There are many areas where your mobile /cell phone reception is poor and if that wallaby had put you down, you are in trouble. Ask me how I know!

Your family will also have to comfort of tracking your progress on the PC. This allowed my wife to direct the emergency services to my exact location.

Another item that will improve your riding experience is a GPS on a ram mount. You can use Basecamp to preplan your rides and transfer that info to your GPS. When done then you can upload your track to www.transaustraliatrail.com.au so we can all see where you went on the map and download it if we wanted to go there too.
Thanks XRMAN.

It's on the list of items yet to purchase. I have been looking recently at the Rhino & Spot tracker. Both a worthwhile investment without a doubt.
Eventually I will do some group rides also. I'm not an accomplished rider by any means but the more I ride the better I get, the more enjoyment I am having. My midlife crisis had been begging me to do this a couple of years ago and now that I'm in the moment, it's all consuming.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,729
Excellent first RR Neil. I love that area of Victoria and I have been waiting for the time and a suitable riding partner to get down there for a week and just potter about.
What were the temps while you were away and how did your Klim cope?

Matt

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??

Matt screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 02:24 AM
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty3 View Post
Thanks XRMAN.

It's on the list of items yet to purchase. I have been looking recently at the Rhino & Spot tracker. Both a worthwhile investment without a doubt.
Eventually I will do some group rides also. I'm not an accomplished rider by any means but the more I ride the better I get, the more enjoyment I am having. My midlife crisis had been begging me to do this a couple of years ago and now that I'm in the moment, it's all consuming.
I have a rino GPS and it is pretty good and versatile. It is even better when your riding buddy has one . Then you can each locate the other on the GPS! Actually I lent it to my riding buddy and he won't give it back now that he has used it. I have a Garmin 62S which is good as well, though the experts think the bike battery 4 pin -power lead to the rino is more robust. When you do go the GPS way, make sure that you add a topographic map to your GPS and Garmin Basecamp on your PC. The one I have used is oztopo V5 which I bought from GPSoz, but I also downloaded Tracks4Australia ( free) from the GPSoz website. It is a good start.

If you are ever in SW Victoria or we have a ride you might want to come along on (watch the Green Triangle riders thread) please feel free to join in. We " blast" through the tracks at a gentleman's pace.

XRman screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 04:33 PM
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
Dirty3 OP
Just add sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Excellent first RR Neil. I love that area of Victoria and I have been waiting for the time and a suitable riding partner to get down there for a week and just potter about.
What were the temps while you were away and how did your Klim cope?

Matt
Hey Matt,
Temp on first day was around 12 in morning through to about 27-29 in afternoon, so just took a few layers off. OIts pretty good if hot the vents on both arms and back allow plenty of air through. Now just have to get the pants.
Otherwise temps over the week only got to 32 last couple o days, so still bearable.
Neil.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #8
Dirty3 OP
Just add sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post

If you are ever in SW Victoria or we have a ride you might want to come along on (watch the Green Triangle riders thread) please feel free to join in. We " blast" through the tracks at a gentleman's pace.
Cheers for that.
Sounds like my kind of riding style….Leisurely!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
Ockrocket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Nice report and vid. Neil.

I came back up to Sydney from Melbourne via Orbost and Delegate River on my Wee-Strom after Christmas, lovely country all through the Gippsland and High Country areas [damn, I miss living in Victoria spent most of my life down there]

When I'm travelling solo [and even when in a group on trail/dirt/remote rides] I carry a PLB, like an EPIRB but smaller- designed more for land use.

Another thing I've recently found is MyTracks, an app. for Android phones [and probably iPhones] that tracks where I've ridden, along with all the statistics- such as speeds/elevation/moving and stationary time etc..
Then you can upload a link to see the route and details on Google Maps.

You need a phone with a built in GPS though, but most of them have that feature these days I think.

Now that I've looked at your RR and vid. I want to head back down that way again.

Cheers
Ock.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 AM   #10
Dirty3 OP
Just add sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Nice report and vid. Neil.

Cheers
Ock.
Thanks Ock.

I'll be sure to check out the GPS apps available.