Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #76
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
man, whatever the story, im pretty sure its jaw dropping.
As DaveBall explains above, I wonder if that sort of thing can happen from dropping the bike in a slide or if it happens when moving at speed and hitting an impovable object like a hydrant or telephone pole.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #77
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens
As DaveBall explains above, I wonder if that sort of thing can happen from dropping the bike in a slide or if it happens when moving at speed and hitting an impovable object like a hydrant or telephone pole.
impovable?....
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #78
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I think that the most dangerous issue is if the crashbars should hook on something, like mine did. Those fire hydrants have those nice big bolts sticking out of them with a square protrusion that just happened to stick into mine at that time. Might have been a fluke, I don't know and do not wish to test it again.

Though, if you do go into a slide on a rough road or slide off te road, I think that the bars may be able to catch or grab on something. Like a root, large pointy rock, rebar, fence post broken off at or near gound level, stump, whatever. If that should happen, I thiink that more seriouos damage will result than if just the cylinder should hit it. I might be wrong, but then again, I really do not want to test it.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #79
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Been following the thread. So if no crashbars are installed, what happens to the cylinder head that goes down? Yes, valve cover will be destroyed, but any higher probability of salvaging the cylinder? Appreciate views and experience.
bikecat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #80
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat
Been following the thread. So if no crashbars are installed, what happens to the cylinder head that goes down? Yes, valve cover will be destroyed, but any higher probability of salvaging the cylinder? Appreciate views and experience.
This:

I had to replace the head because there was a gouge on the cover mating surface, not to mention the bent stud.

I have Krauser crash bars on now.
cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #81
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally posted by bikecat, Been following the thread. So if no crashbars are installed, what happens to the cylinder head that goes down? Yes, valve cover will be destroyed, but any higher probability of salvaging the cylinder? Appreciate views and experience.

That all depends on lots of variables.
1. Initial speed at laydown.
2. Dpeed at impact with solid object.
3. Type of ground at impact.
4. How solid is the object of final impact?

Basically, if you do a lay down in nice soft earth or sand, a lot less damage that concrete or other less movable objects. And the higher the speed, the more impressive the damage. I feel that in most cases, the cyclinder will be much better off without the crash bars. There may be the odd situation that may warrant them, i.e. parking lot tip over. But I really do not see any advantage in an actual crash.

My direct experience was at approx. 60MPH with a very solid fire hydrant. Firehydrant had minor scrapes, right cylinder on bike was smashed back into the tranny. I feel that if the crash bar had not hooked onto the hydrant, the cylinder probably would have been fine. The point of impact would have been the valve cover, which would have been toast and probably the valve gear and maybe the head. But, because the crash bar hooked onto the hydrant, it caused the bike to pivot into the hydrant and drive the cylinder back into the transmission. I had to replace the complete right cylinder, head, exhaust and transmission, along with numerous assorted other parts and the right side of the fairing. Also had to have frame tweaked as the right down tube was pulled out a bit.

The only damage to me was the scrapes from extricating myself from an overgrown boxwood hedge and picket fence that I almost went all the way thru. Luckily missing the fence posts. Lots of bruising and strains, but nothing broken. Oh, and my insurance rates skyrocketed for a few years after that as well.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #82
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall

That all depends on lots of variables.
1. Initial speed at laydown.
2. Dpeed at impact with solid object.
3. Type of ground at impact.
4. How solid is the object of final impact?

Basically, if you do a lay down in nice soft earth or sand, a lot less damage that concrete or other less movable objects. And the higher the speed, the more impressive the damage. I feel that in most cases, the cyclinder will be much better off without the crash bars. There may be the odd situation that may warrant them, i.e. parking lot tip over. But I really do not see any advantage in an actual crash.

My direct experience was at approx. 60MPH with a very solid fire hydrant. Firehydrant had minor scrapes, right cylinder on bike was smashed back into the tranny. I feel that if the crash bar had not hooked onto the hydrant, the cylinder probably would have been fine. The point of impact would have been the valve cover, which would have been toast and probably the valve gear and maybe the head. But, because the crash bar hooked onto the hydrant, it caused the bike to pivot into the hydrant and drive the cylinder back into the transmission. I had to replace the complete right cylinder, head, exhaust and transmission, along with numerous assorted other parts and the right side of the fairing. Also had to have frame tweaked as the right down tube was pulled out a bit.

The only damage to me was the scrapes from extricating myself from an overgrown boxwood hedge and picket fence that I almost went all the way thru. Luckily missing the fence posts. Lots of bruising and strains, but nothing broken. Oh, and my insurance rates skyrocketed for a few years after that as well.

Holy Guacamole!!!!!!
I'll bet you were in for a new set of riding pants after fudgin' those!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #83
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebot
This:

I had to replace the head because there was a gouge on the cover mating surface, not to mention the bent stud.

I have Krauser crash bars on now.
Wow.

Can you briefly describe the crash? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #84
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Quote:
Can you briefly describe the crash? Just curious. Thanks.
Unfortunately it wasn't much. Just a low speed (~20mph) low side caused by someone who cut me off changing lanes. I think most of this damage was caused by the bike sliding into a granite curb at the end of its journey down the road.

In addition to the head and valve cover I had to replace the handlebars and my helmet.

Here it is with the new guards (who needs a GS?)
Old 09-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #85
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Unfortunately it wasn't much. Just a low speed (~20mph) low side caused by someone who cut me off changing lanes. I think most of this damage was caused by the bike sliding into a granite curb at the end of its journey down the road.

In addition to the head and valve cover I had to replace the handlebars and my helmet.

Here it is with the new guards (who needs a GS?)
I like the way you think....

The EdgeWife and I took a (wrong?) turn and ended up taking this /2Up over October Mt. in the Berkshires... almost a road.... our first time on rocks.....the bike didn't dump us or, we it......

Great bike!

danedg screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 01:52 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #86
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg
I like the way you think....

The EdgeWife and I took a (wrong?) turn and ended up taking this /2Up over October Mt. in the Berkshires... almost a road.... our first time on rocks.....the bike didn't dump us or, we it......

Great bike!
Ha ha, love those Buco bags - I have them on my Honda

Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #87
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Unfortunately it wasn't much....
Hmmm, or you could consider it fortunate that it wasn't much (at least for the rider).

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #88
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,529
Quote:
Mill it flat and put in a new stud.. I'll bet a machine shop could fix that for fairly cheap.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #89
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Quote:
Hmmm, or you could consider it fortunate that it wasn't much (at least for the rider).

Thanks for the explanation.
I used "unfortunately" because it didn't seem to require a huge bang to cause so much damage (monetarily speaking, that is) to the bike. I agree - It was very fortunate that I wasn't hurt myself and that I was able to find the parts I needed cheaply and do all the labor myself.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #90
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
I crashed and bent mine (not the frame, Shue!) Trashed my rare white bmw bags, helmet ,jacket , and boots but I came out with bruses. Now I run with no crash bars cuz I have none eheh. bags and crash bars saved bike 35mph crash.
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote