ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #286
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
The coast between Bertioga to Ilhabela and north to Rio is beautiful. Don't forget that Fernando Costa is in Ilhabela and a nice guy to boot! Macae is cool too - Anderson Colla lives there. Raf's a nice guy but I'm waiting on him to teach you some real useful phrases.

MrsK7 is in Sao Paulo this week - she's complaining how expensive "stuff" is there!

If you make it to Manaus, I can recommend a great guide if you want to wander around the jungle a bit, safely, and if you're into climbing trees, there's someone who runs a guide service doing that also. Both of these guys are great.

Have fun and be safe!
Thanks Gerry!

I'm not really sure what I'll be doing yet but I most likely won't be going to Manaus. After Rio I will be heading south for Iguacu to cue up for Paraguay.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #287
mirantesMT
Adventurer
 
mirantesMT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Oddometer: 261
So how big is the chance that you would join us on our 10 day exploration of the Estrada Real? I know yo like to ride solo, but I you can ride your own speed and meet up at each overnight stop... Here's a page where you can find some info about the route

On your way north, try to do the serra do rio do rastro in Santa catarina, between the cities of Lauro Muller and Bom Jardim da serra... Spectacular views when the weather is good.

Take care & Ride safe
Raf


Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Thanks Gerry!

I'm not really sure what I'll be doing yet but I most likely won't be going to Manaus. After Rio I will be heading south for Iguacu to cue up for Paraguay.
__________________
Raf Kiss
Motorcycle Tour Guide, exploring and loving Brazil a little more every day...
Brazil Road Trips (& other adventures) (Blog)
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #288
mirantesMT
Adventurer
 
mirantesMT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Oddometer: 261
Interesting places in brazil: Morretes - Colonial Charm and Lush Rainforest

During my last trip to the south of Brazil, we spent one night in Morretes. It was the second time for me to visit this cute town and I really like the place, so thought I would share some info about it with you guys on the "Brazil" thread...

Being one of the oldest cities in the southern Brazilian state of Paranã, Morretes is a most charming colonial town, tucked away in one of the largest and best preserved areas of Atlantic rainforest of south Brazil.


Oldest building in Morretes. Today it is a restaurant where you can enjoy the local cuisine...

Just like the rest of Brazil, the region where Morretes was founded in 1721, was initially inhabited by indigenous tribes, like the Guarani and the Carijó, who eventually had to give way to the Portuguese colonizers.
In the 1640′s, gold deposits were found in the area and this attracted a growing population of adventurers and miners, most of them coming from São Paulo, but later also followed by immigrants from all over Europe and even Japan.

Today, Morretes is a quiet, laid back town, that enchants its visitors with its beautifully preserved 18th century architecture and the stunning beauty of the Atlantic rainforest that surrounds it in every direction.


Why Visit Morretes?


One of the green squares in the historical center of Morretes

The city itself, but especially the forest, with its many trails, waterfalls and rivers, presents numerous options for anyone looking for total tranquility or an active vacation, practicing various outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, rafting, mountain-biking or mountaineering…

A very popular “radical sport” is what is locally known as “Bóia cross“. Floating down the river for 6 km in an inflated truck tube. Fun guaranteed!

During a stroll through the historical center, with its colonial houses, historical churches and green squares, you can get a good feel for the 18th and 19th century way of life of the people of Morretes.
The many big mansions suggest that the city must have known a period of great wealth, but when the gold deposits ran out, the population had to fall back on agriculture, cattle farming, trading and handicraft activities.


View of the historical center and the Nhundiaquara river from the Ponte Velha (old bridge)

The tourist industry today provides an extra way for people to make a decent living, but statistics show that about 30 per cent of the city’s population is still poor.

One more attraction of Morretes is the Nhundiaquara River, flowing through the city center. This river, that connects the coastal area to the highlands, once was the only way people had to penetrate inland.


View of some houses near the Nhundiaquara river

The river is navigable for about 12km and offers possibilities for water-sports (like bóia cross). The old bridge (ponte velha – inaugurated in 1912) crossing the river in the city center is also considered a work of art.
At one point, the river spreads out and creates an area with a few natural beaches where people can go to swim or relax.
More pictures of Morretes on Flickr


How to get there?

1. By car, motorcycle, Bus

Whether you choose to take your own car or Motorcycle (like me), travel by bus or taking the tourist train, one way or another, you simply have to get through the Serra da Graciosa, which in itself already is a gorgeous trip.
By car (or motorcycle), the “Estrada da Graciosa” (PR410) is the best option. It covers the last 40km from Curitiba to Morretes and makes the 1000m drop from the highlands to practically sea level in just 10km. The steepest section – with obviously the best views – has various places where you can stop and enjoy the scenery, and even do a BBQ.


The gate at the entrance of the "Estrada da Graciosa"

During the steep descent, the views and smells of the rainforest are sometimes breathtaking, and needless to say that the difference in altitude almost immediately also affects the temperature and humidity. A warning though: beware of the cobblestones, these can get very slippery when wet.

2. By train:

Another great option is the tourist train from Curitiba to Paranaguá.

This railroad connection, some call it one of the most important tourist attractions of the state of Parana, is a remarkable piece of engineering. Its construction started in 1880 and in five years, the builders were able to complete the 110 km of railroad track, including 14 tunnels and 30 bridges.


View from the train from Morretes to Curitiba

The man responsible for this great work, was a black Brazilian engineer called Antonio Pereira Rebouças Filho, who probably wouldn’t have had an easy life, considering the fact that slavery in Brazil was only abolished in 1888, three years after the completion of the railroad.

Tragic detail: the death toll amongst the +/- 9000 workers, hired for the job was enormous. 50% of them died during the five year construction period.


the serra da graciosa as seen from the train Morretes - Curitiba.

That said, the train ride itself is Fantastic! The windows of the train are super wide and you are allowed to open them for maximum enjoyment of the great scenery, the sounds and smells of the forest.(Although during the descent, the brakes of the train make a lot of noise ) Almost the whole time you’re so close to the forest that you could almost touch it. Here are some more pictures on Flickr.

So, when you find yourself traveling through the south of Brazil, Morretes is definitely a place to put on your “places to see” list.

Hope you enjoyed this.
Any comments welcome

Raf
__________________
Raf Kiss
Motorcycle Tour Guide, exploring and loving Brazil a little more every day...
Brazil Road Trips (& other adventures) (Blog)

mirantesMT screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 10:55 AM
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #289
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,554
great write up and pictures, thanks for sharing
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #290
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
So how big is the chance that you would join us on our 10 day exploration of the Estrada Real? I know yo like to ride solo, but I you can ride your own speed and meet up at each overnight stop... Here's a page where you can find some info about the route

On your way north, try to do the serra do rio do rastro in Santa catarina, between the cities of Lauro Muller and Bom Jardim da serra... Spectacular views when the weather is good.

Take care & Ride safe
Raf
Hey Raf! Thanks for the invite. I will be in Montevideo through the rest of this week at the least waiting for a parts delivery from the states but will head north as soon as I get it.

Thanks for the invite, yeah, group rides are tough for me. Perhaps I can meet up at one of your destinations if our timing works out. Your accommodations are a bit swanky for my budget tastes though.

Thanks for the route advice.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 AM   #291
mirantesMT
Adventurer
 
mirantesMT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Oddometer: 261
No problem MG...

Should you pass through here in the weeks before sept 12, you're welcome to crash at my place for a few days... would be happy to take you on a spin around the coffee valley and the Serra da mantiqueira area and even do a jeep ride to Rio... see some sights. I'm not going to burn down the Escola do Samba like when Vince was here though... It's tricky to do the same thing twice

Ride safe
Raf


Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Hey Raf! Thanks for the invite. I will be in Montevideo through the rest of this week at the least waiting for a parts delivery from the states but will head north as soon as I get it.

Thanks for the invite, yeah, group rides are tough for me. Perhaps I can meet up at one of your destinations if our timing works out. Your accommodations are a bit swanky for my budget tastes though.

Thanks for the route advice.
__________________
Raf Kiss
Motorcycle Tour Guide, exploring and loving Brazil a little more every day...
Brazil Road Trips (& other adventures) (Blog)
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #292
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
No problem MG...

Should you pass through here in the weeks before sept 12, you're welcome to crash at my place for a few days... would be happy to take you on a spin around the coffee valley and the Serra da mantiqueira area and even do a jeep ride to Rio... see some sights. I'm not going to burn down the Escola do Samba like when Vince was here though... It's tricky to do the same thing twice

Ride safe
Raf
Sounds good, Raf. I will be in Montevideo through the weekend at least waiting on parts from the states. No worries, I'm sure we can find alternative bike mischief to get into.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #293
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,594
so are any of these coastal towns in the south worth a stop??


I'm in La Paloma now and will cross at Chui manana on the way to Florianopolis. I'd like to stop somewhere in between here and there.

I'll be over here reading my Lonely Planet guide to Portuguese.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #294
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Girdweed, AK
Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I'll be over here reading my Lonely Planet guide to Portuguese.
Are you at the Beach Hostal in La Paloma? Lots of nice girls stay there so you can practice your Portuñol.
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #295
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Are you at the Beach Hostal in La Paloma? Lots of nice girls stay there so you can practice your Portuñol.
It's winter, the place is deserted.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #296
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
so are any of these coastal towns in the south worth a stop??


I'm in La Paloma now and will cross at Chui manana on the way to Florianopolis. I'd like to stop somewhere in between here and there.

I'll be over here reading my Lonely Planet guide to Portuguese.
capao da canoa, torres ,ferrugen,garopaba all nice beach towns before florianopolis .
Pretty sure you have the hostal by yourself this time o the year
Go to laguna de rocha and cabo polonio before left uruguay
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #297
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
capao da canoa, torres ,ferrugen,garopaba all nice beach towns before florianopolis .
Pretty sure you have the hostal by yourself this time o the year
Go to laguna de rocha and cabo polonio before left uruguay
Thanks Javier! I will stop at Cabo Polonio and Laguna Rocha on the way for sure.

You know where I can find some good palta in this town?
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #298
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,306
YES GO TO "TOMATE ALEGRE" BEHING THE HOSTEL ,ACROSS STREET FROM PANADERIA " DON DANTE" OR ,IN MY MOM HOUSE ,BUT PROBABLY NOT READY FOR ANOTHER 3 WEEKS
FOR FISH GO SEE CARLOS IN THE HARBOR ,TELL JAVIER (CABEZA CHICO ) SEND YOU
FOR GIRLS GO TO "EL GATO AZUL" IN THE RUTA 9 BEFORE THE ANCAP GAS STATION IN ROCHA , SEE VIRGINIA THERE ,CHEAP GOOD LOVE
FOR SUPER ENDURO PARTS MY DAD SHED IS A GOOD SOURCE
HAVE FUN THERE AND DRINK SOME GRAPAMILE BEFORE LEFT THE COUNTRY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Thanks Javier! I will stop at Cabo Polonio and Laguna Rocha on the way for sure.

You know where I can find some good palta in this town?
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #299
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by misery goat View Post
thanks javier! I will stop at cabo polonio and laguna rocha on the way for sure.

You know where i can find some good palta in this town?
you hjave some nice stuff around la paloma

laguna de rocha biosfere mundial
cabo polonio
quebrada de los cuervos en treinta y tres
LAGOA DE LOS PATOS RIO GRANDE DO SUL
TORRES RIO GRANDE DO SUL
SERRA DO RASTRO SANTA CATARINA
GAROPABA SANTA CATARINA
FERRUGEM SANTA CATRINA
FLORIANOPOLIS SANTA CATARINA
GRAMADO SANTA CATARINA
CANELA SANTA CATARINA

IMBITUBA SAO PABLO
SANTOS SAO PABLO

RIO
BUZIOS A MUST DO BEFORE HEAD SOUTH AGAIN
FERNANDO DO NORONIA ISLAND
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #300
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Girdweed, AK
Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
YES GO TO "TOMATE ALEGRE" BEHING THE HOSTEL ,ACROSS STREET FROM PANADERIA " DON DANTE" OR ,IN MY MOM HOUSE ,BUT PROBABLY NOT READY FOR ANOTHER 3 WEEKS
FOR FISH GO SEE CARLOS IN THE HARBOR ,TELL JAVIER (CABEZA CHICO ) SEND YOU
FOR GIRLS GO TO "EL GATO AZUL" IN THE RUTA 9 BEFORE THE ANCAP GAS STATION IN ROCHA , SEE VIRGINIA THERE ,CHEAP GOOD LOVE
FOR SUPER ENDURO PARTS MY DAD SHED IS A GOOD SOURCE
HAVE FUN THERE AND DRINK SOME GRAPAMILE BEFORE LEFT THE COUNTRY

Hey Javier, why didnt you hook me up with any of that stuff while I was there? Especialamente El Gato Azul y Virginia.
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014