Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #331
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,938
Well I finally left Rio. I have to say Santa Teresa is one of the coolest big city barrios I've stayed in on this trip. It's one of those places where I could lose a few months of my life if you know what I mean.

I'm in Ouro Preto now and I have to say the Portuguese bring it big on the colonial mountain town front. Damn.

That said, my money is dwindling and I need to get out of Brasil in the near future. The gas prices are breaking my bank account and I need a new rear tire soon.

I'm heading to Iguacu from here so if anyone can recommend some places worth seeing on the way that would be great. I'm trying to stay in the mountains if I can as I go south.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #332
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Might be best to get that tire before you leave Rio. There is a place there with 140 scorpions about as cheap as you will get them in Brasil. I forget the name of the place, but I called it the Tire Nazi, as buying a tire there is a bit like the soup Nazi. Its of course cash only, but you dont need exact change.

Raf knows the tire Nazi and can direct you to the place.

Edit: shit just saw that you left Rio.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #333
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,938
Rio blew my mind so much I managed to leave without looking for tires or oil which I need as well.

semi syn can be had anywhere but full syn seems to be special. There are some decent size cities b/w here an Iquacu so I'll keep looking. Maybe the tire will last to Acsuncion.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust

Misery Goat screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 04:56 AM
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #334
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I remember the Tire Nazi... I need to go back there one of these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Might be best to get that tire before you leave Rio. There is a place there with 140 scorpions about as cheap as you will get them in Brasil. I forget the name of the place, but I called it the Tire Nazi, as buying a tire there is a bit like the soup Nazi. Its of course cash only, but you dont need exact change.

Raf knows the tire Nazi and can direct you to the place.

Edit: shit just saw that you left Rio.
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #335
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Heading down in June

I am flying down to brasil in June 2012 to visit my wife's family. I have been to brasil 5 times over the past 9 years, but I have only gone to Cuiba-MT (where she is from), Pantanal, and Fortaleza(for carnival in 2009)...

I am looking for someplace we can go for a week while were are down there... She wants to take me to Florinopolis, or Rio. I am not sure yet...

Any Brazil ADVers have any suggestions on a good place to go and get some dual sport riding in? either by renting a bike or maybe a fellow ADVer has a spare bike they would like to show me around on... Let me know!!

were both 28y/o
xxxshiftxxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #336
deanosky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Parking on the street in Rio mmmmmmm, Maybe not!

Well this is it i parked on the street in rio out the front of my friends apartment i was just too lazy to organise a place to park, Learnt my lesson i think!!!
The bike was burnt in the street almost completely fucked maybe internal engine parts and the frame are salvageable, MAYBE!!!!!!!!!

Just for some background i had just completed my trip from San Francisco to Rio De Janeiro approx. 9 months trip.

and after the complete satisfaction and excitement of completing my trip and arriving in rio! 5 days later the horror of seeing this!

I am not looking for sympathy I am completely responsible, just thought people would be interested to see!

Take care be safe, and dont be lazy like me, look for a place to park!!

There is also a small chance it caught fire through electrical fault but seems very unlikely!

I got interrupted i will upload the pics later!!!

deanosky screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 02:54 PM Reason: spelling mistake
deanosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #337
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Eh? Happy you completed your trip. I will live in Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanosky View Post
... parked on the street in rio ... The bike was burnt in the street ...
completed my trip from San Francisco to Rio De Janeiro ... 9 months...
completing my trip and arriving in rio! ... look for a (good) place to park!!
...will upload the pics later!!!
Sorry for your loss but I am glad you completed your trip!

I will ride from California, USA to Rio before Carnival '12 and now will be more careful. You may have saved my bike with your warning.

I hope to find a decent place to SAFELY store the bike while in Rio. Last time I lived on Silveira Martins in Catete at 'Art Hostel Rio' but they don't have parking. I'd love to find a place for 3 or 4 months near Arpordor (between Ipanema and Copacabana) But the bike could be a few kilometers from any Metro station.

If you stay and rebuild your bike I will buy you a pitcher of Devassa or share a dozen caphrinas on the beach.

o*o screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 09:17 PM Reason: Só para dom meu amigo uma cerveja
o*o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #338
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Cool2 ¿Foz do Iguaçu e romance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
I am flying down to brasil in June 2012 to visit my wife's family. I have been to brasil 5 times over the past 9 years, but I have only gone to Cuiba-MT (where she is from), Pantanal, and Fortaleza(for carnival in 2009)...

I am looking for someplace we can go for a week while were are down there... She wants to take me to Florinopolis, or Rio. I am not sure yet...

Any Brazil ADVers have any suggestions on a good place to go and get some dual sport riding in? either by renting a bike or maybe a fellow ADVer has a spare bike they would like to show me around on... Let me know!!

were both 28y/o
I will know more of Dual sport in Brasil before you get there when I am getting ready to leave but...
Minas Gerais' and Ouro Preto might be good only 400 km from Rio.
Pedra Azul 1000 km from Rio but only 700 more from Ouro Preto.
Iguaçu, 1.500 km from Rio
Manaus, 4.500 km Amazon jungle adventure where I enjoyed coconut grubs!
Around 200 square kilometers Google can't decide weather Brasil or Uruguay only 2,000 km from Rio.

Choose wisely (Foz do Iguaçu e romance).
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #339
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 606
Quote:

were both 28y/o

Send mirantesMT a PM or e-mail. He runs a MC ADV tour biz near Rio. Fluent in Portuguese and knows the history of the areas he tours. A lot of interesting history in Brazil. Check out his RR to get an idea. You won´t be disappointed.

Florianopolis has incredible beaches with crystal clear blue/turquoise water. If you like hanging out at the beach you won´t be disappointed. June is a good time to go as it is off season. Just starting to get cold down south.......like Florianopolis. July and Aug have some really cold days way down south. I never believed it got cold in Brazil until I spent a winter in Santa Catarina.

Have a good trip.

Cheers,

Mike
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #340
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Send mirantesMT a PM or e-mail. He runs a MC ADV tour biz near Rio. Fluent in Portuguese and knows the history of the areas he tours. A lot of interesting history in Brazil. Check out his RR to get an idea. You won´t be disappointed.

Florianopolis has incredible beaches with crystal clear blue/turquoise water. If you like hanging out at the beach you won´t be disappointed. June is a good time to go as it is off season. Just starting to get cold down south.......like Florianopolis. July and Aug have some really cold days way down south. I never believed it got cold in Brazil until I spent a winter in Santa Catarina.

Have a good trip.

Cheers,

Mike
Is the water in florianop is really cold in June?
xxxshiftxxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #341
blazeafar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
June is the middle of winter here, so yes the water is cold!
blazeafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #342
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Yeah, it is, but you would have more than enough space on the beach

For warm water all year long, you need to go north... To do some ADV riding though, it's better to come to Rio de Janeiro... A great place to stay is Ilha Grande

Thanks for the reference Mike... Appreciate that.

Quote:
Is the water in florianop is really cold in June?
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #343
deanosky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Cremated KLR

Quote:
Well this is it i parked on the street in rio out the front of my friends apartment i was just too lazy to organise a place to park, Learnt my lesson i think!!!
The bike was burnt in the street almost completely fucked maybe internal engine parts and the frame are salvageable, MAYBE!!!!!!!!!

Just for some background i had just completed my trip from San Francisco to Rio De Janeiro approx. 9 months trip.

and after the complete satisfaction and excitement of completing my trip and arriving in rio! 5 days later the horror of seeing this!

I am not looking for sympathy I am completely responsible, just thought people would be interested to see!

Take care be safe, and dont be lazy like me, look for a place to park!!

There is also a small chance it caught fire through electrical fault but seems very unlikely!

I got interrupted i will upload the pics later!!!
HEAD TO THIS LINK FOR PHOTOS OF MY CRISPY KLR http://olagringo.shutterfly.com/
deanosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #344
Linhares OP
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
HEAD TO THIS LINK FOR PHOTOS OF MY CRISPY KLR http://olagringo.shutterfly.com/
This is a sad story.
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #345
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Visa Confirmation

Sorry if this is a deadhorse (sometimes things change), but I was getting ready to purchase a plane ticket from Sao Paulo back to the US. Before I do that, I want to confirm that it is still possible to get a visa to enter Brazil at the border near Iguaza Falls or at La Paz.

Thanks,
HBWV
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote