ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #346
Linhares OP
OSM addicted
 
Linhares's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Brasilia, Brazil
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyWV View Post
Sorry if this is a deadhorse (sometimes things change), but I was getting ready to purchase a plane ticket from Sao Paulo back to the US. Before I do that, I want to confirm that it is still possible to get a visa to enter Brazil at the border near Iguaza Falls or at La Paz.
HBWV,

I can't confirm it for you, but I believe that at La Paz you can get your visa at the brazilian embassy.

Abraos,
Linhares
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #347
MotoBonita
Ride more
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 30
Thinking of moving back to Sampa

I am Brasilian that has lived most of my life in the states. I lived in Sao Paulo from 1994-2002. I used to only ride street before moving there and the idea of riding the concrete jungle never appealed to me with all the traffic.

Recently, I started riding dirt and ride Baja as often as I can. I am thinking of moving back to Sampa. Of course I have finally have the bikes I want and would really like to bring them. After brief research I found that I can't import anything used. Does anyone know any work around (keep in mind I am a Brasilian citzen)?

Thanks in advance,

Sondra
MotoBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #348
tato97
Adventurer
 
tato97's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Oddometer: 62
Need help in Sao Paulo

Hey guys this is a plea for help and not related to motorcycle. I left my GSA at home :-(

My company has sent me to Sao Paulo for a month to learn Portuguese and Brazilian culture. Unfortunately the trip is not well planned. I was supposed to be here with someone else and the other person cancelled last minute. So I'm in Brazil until Dec 30 by myself. I don't know anyone here and this is my first time in Brazil.

I'm supposed to start school on Monday but I would love to meet and hang out with some Adv Riders with same interests. Plus it would be great to meet local folks and learn about your great country. That's what this trip is all about.

I would also love to take a few days to visit Rio if there is anyone there that can meet me.

So if there is anyone here that have time and is willing to hang around for a few hours, anytime, please drop me a line. I will love to meet.

Thanks

Leo
tato97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #349
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers
 
rodrigo1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Guarapuava - PR - Brazil
Oddometer: 138
Hey , you can pick a bike in US and ship to Argentina , then ride to Brazil, ill wont get problems with docs..importing directly to brazil is other story ,cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBonita View Post
I am Brasilian that has lived most of my life in the states. I lived in Sao Paulo from 1994-2002. I used to only ride street before moving there and the idea of riding the concrete jungle never appealed to me with all the traffic.

Recently, I started riding dirt and ride Baja as often as I can. I am thinking of moving back to Sampa. Of course I have finally have the bikes I want and would really like to bring them. After brief research I found that I can't import anything used. Does anyone know any work around (keep in mind I am a Brasilian citzen)?

Thanks in advance,

Sondra
rodrigo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #350
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers
 
rodrigo1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Guarapuava - PR - Brazil
Oddometer: 138
Any plans to rent a bike ? to ride to somewhere? i live in south of parana on the way to the falls in Guarapuava....well any plan just send a pm. good luck cheers Rodrigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato97 View Post
Hey guys this is a plea for help and not related to motorcycle. I left my GSA at home :-(

My company has sent me to Sao Paulo for a month to learn Portuguese and Brazilian culture. Unfortunately the trip is not well planned. I was supposed to be here with someone else and the other person cancelled last minute. So I'm in Brazil until Dec 30 by myself. I don't know anyone here and this is my first time in Brazil.

I'm supposed to start school on Monday but I would love to meet and hang out with some Adv Riders with same interests. Plus it would be great to meet local folks and learn about your great country. That's what this trip is all about.

I would also love to take a few days to visit Rio if there is anyone there that can meet me.

So if there is anyone here that have time and is willing to hang around for a few hours, anytime, please drop me a line. I will love to meet.

Thanks

Leo
rodrigo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #351
Peregrine40
Tiercel
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 67
Ship moto (back) to US by plane from Sao Paolo

My 6 month permit is going to expire in several months and I have to GitOut of Brazil. Long trip from Bahia to a port or airport that will ship motos.

Does anyone have current info, or links with info on shipping a bike out of Brazil by air from Sao Paolo?
I've been warned that shipping a bike out of Brazil is MUCH more difficult and costly than from Argentina. But I wouldn't mind avoiding the extra time and money of getting to Buenos Aires from North Brazil.

Thanks in advance,

P
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #352
blazeafar
Adventurer
 
blazeafar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Veranopolis, Brazil
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1985 View Post
Hey , you can pick a bike in US and ship to Argentina , then ride to Brazil, ill wont get problems with docs..importing directly to brazil is other story ,cheers!
Hi Rodrigo, please explain how that would work. I have been looking for an import loophole to import a used bike for a few years and have not uncovers a legal way yet.

Inquiring mind want to know!
blazeafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #353
Peregrine40
Tiercel
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeafar View Post
Hi Rodrigo, please explain how that would work. I have been looking for an import loophole to import a used bike for a few years and have not uncovers a legal way yet.

Inquiring mind want to know!
There is simply NO legal way to import a foreign motorcycle into Brazil, unless it is brand new (Zero KM) and you pay the HEFTY government tax. I've been looking closely into it.

They don't call it a 'bubble' for nothing

P
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #354
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers
 
rodrigo1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Guarapuava - PR - Brazil
Oddometer: 138
My ideia is do the following , assuming i know the risks and is impossible legaly to archieve some success. If i can have an passport i ride with my foreign bike and if anyone stops me i just say im travelling, speaking english...do some type of excuse ( maybe works???) and stay with my fingers crossed! Or just blast thru any type of blockings...hmm maybe is not a good ideia. But the fact of a bike costs a fraction of the price outside brazil , makes you dream with any type of possibilities. I ride a KTM SE from a adv friend in SP and i reached a conclusion: worth the risk. But here where i live one bike like that draws too much attention , sooner or later someone will catch me...

Other option is spend some money on detran...if you know someone can do the dirt job with paperwork.....
Or if you know a foreign friend here , you register the bike on his name and if anyone stops you, just say you just take it for a ride and call and confirm the story.....

Is just my opinion , in fact i do not have yet a solid idea.........yet....

But would be nice get ALL advriders from Brazil, who have interest in a bike from US , and go to Buenos aires and come back with assorted kinds of bikes all in same type crossing the border......
rodrigo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #355
Peregrine40
Tiercel
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1985 View Post
My ideia is do the following , assuming i know the risks and is impossible legaly to archieve some success. If i can have an passport i ride with my foreign bike and if anyone stops me i just say im travelling, speaking english...do some type of excuse ( maybe works???) and stay with my fingers crossed! Or just blast thru any type of blockings...hmm maybe is not a good ideia. But the fact of a bike costs a fraction of the price outside brazil , makes you dream with any type of possibilities. I ride a KTM SE from a adv friend in SP and i reached a conclusion: worth the risk. But here where i live one bike like that draws too much attention , sooner or later someone will catch me...

Other option is spend some money on detran...if you know someone can do the dirt job with paperwork.....
Or if you know a foreign friend here , you register the bike on his name and if anyone stops you, just say you just take it for a ride and call and confirm the story.....

Is just my opinion , in fact i do not have yet a solid idea.........yet....

But would be nice get ALL advriders from Brazil, who have interest in a bike from US , and go to Buenos aires and come back with assorted kinds of bikes all in same type crossing the border......
I appreciate the spirit of what you're trying to do. But its no longer Latin America in the 50's. Blasting through police blocks is not feasible option. Radio travels fast. Brazilian police - especially in the South - will have absolutely no problem impounding your bike and leaving you on your ass to deal with the consequences. Brazil is a wonderful place for many reasons, but they have seen it all; its not a place to expect favors from the government - especially the Police. Now that's IF someone stops you. Probability is that someone will ask at some point what a big bike with foreign plates is doing in the country. its a risk with a nice bike. I've been looking at under the table options as well. There is so much bureaucracy to conduct official transactions in Brazil. Unless your cousin has a brother who's father is the president of . . . .it's just too much hassle, too much paperwork and too much potential for problems (for me).

Problem will come at the airport if and when you travel out of the country. At the border your bike will be imported and registered at the Ministry of Fazenda. The database is linked to the Immigrations database. The Immigration will ask you "where is this bike that you came in with?"

Brazilians with the buy electronics, clothing, perfume (hell, razor blades) outside of Brazil because they are just waaay over priced in the country. Same for bikes.
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #356
blazeafar
Adventurer
 
blazeafar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Veranopolis, Brazil
Oddometer: 47
Exactly my point, there is not clear cut LEGAL way to import a used vehicle in Brazil unless it is an antique.
The not so legal will leave you in risk of not being able to register the vehicle due to not being properly imported and heading down the road of paying off someone leaves you at the mercy of the who know what will happen slippery slope.

I guess you could just ship it to BA, ride it in on a temp import and head for the border every 90 days.
blazeafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #357
marcior132
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Campo Grande, MS, Brasil
Oddometer: 2
Is not so easy...

Hello, everybody! I'm from mid-west Brazil (Bonito, Pantanal...), and an motorcycle enthusiastic.
If somebody needs something here, please make contact!
I have been traveled for some places, like Atacama Desert, Ushuaia and some parts of my country too.
About this issue (importing bikes), some friends had already made what you are saying (come with the bike riding from Argentina/Peru/Bolivia/Paraguay borders, staying 3 months, and coming back, and all again...). It's not so easy, they (the government, the federal police), will see, and will cath you. They are not silly... Infortunately, we have to pay 3 or 4 times the price of USA, Europe and 2 times the price of Argentina and Chile... That's the BRAZIL COST, but I think it will change, one day... And I want to see...
marcior132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #358
sloj0
uber n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 30
I will be traveling through Porto Alegre soon, anyone know of any decent bike shops there where I might be able to purchase/fit new tyres 130/80-17 rear and 90/90-21 front?
sloj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #359
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vegas babay
Oddometer: 193
Okay, so I have set my dates for my 5th trip to brazil..... I will be going to Cuiaba-MT to visit family May 29-June10 and will be going to Rio June 10-14.

I will be traveling with my wife, brazilian, and maybe some of her family to Rio... Anyone in Rio wanna grab some food or drinks? I am not sure where we are staying at, but I am sure its going to be by copa cabana or ipanema. We also want to spend one night in Buzios at a posada. any recommendations for Buzios... thanks!
xxxshiftxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #360
Peregrine40
Tiercel
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 67
Routing Bahia on South. Suggestions?

Ola friends in Brazil, I will head south soon. Away from the coast of Bahia on down into Argentina, where I'll ship my ass and my bike back up north to the cold states. Will be sad to go, but there are many miles left before I cross the border. I think upwards of 2,000!

I'm contemplating two potential routes to get down; the red one and the blue one. One inland and down, and the other, well, just down. The pink is a variation on the blue route. Anything good there?
Appreciate any input/advice or thoughts. Unfortunately I don't have too much time to meander, but looking for acceptable roads, without too much washout threats, reasonable prices for food and accommodation (as much as possible), safe security transit and nice vistas. South of Bahia is totally new to me. What do you all say?

Thanks in advance,

P
Attached Images
 
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014