User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Wicked Farkling my Varadero...

Thought I'd start a progress thread for the farkling of my Varadero.

I have lots in store for this bike, as I plan on keeping it a while and *hopefully* clocking up some k's as well

It will be a steady process to get it ready, but I can be patient.

The day I picked it up - stock as, with 12,000km on the clock and on original rubber

Now waiting on crashbars, GPS mount, Conti tyres and some other goodies to materialise from various places.

Have since fitted heated grips

MRA Vario screen

Will add more pics as things progress, but for now it's time for a riiiide

Cheers
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 990
Like the new screen. Are those cut-outs at the bottom?

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
did you get the screen in ozor get it sent over also if you dont mind me asking what sort of coin did it set you back?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Looking good Holmsie
Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Thanks Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tiny
did you get the screen in ozor get it sent over also if you dont mind me asking what sort of coin did it set you back?
I got it thru my local Honda dealer. Wasn't cheap at $250, and he reckons it was the last one in Au? Going for a ride with Mr. Not-for-highway-use tomorrow so I'll let you know what I think of it.

I've see them on fleabay for around $150au, but the sellers are quoting almost as much again in freight

AFAIK those cutouts are supposed to reduce negative air pressure behind the screen and so also reduce turbulence/buffeting
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,014
I`ve got an MRA vario screen on my 1100GS, makes life so much easier on those 1,000Km days. Got it from England; little over a week from order to fitted on bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Did a few hundred km on Sunday - the MRA screen is much much better than the stocker, but still doesn't 100% reduce the wind noise in my helmet. It needs to be a little taller, by about an inch I reckon.

Although when notforhigwayuse and I swapped bikes for a short stint, I had no whistling noise while I was on the XR, so it must all come down to the pattern of the airflow around the two types of windscreen on my 'Dero in relation to my helmet
Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie
Did a few hundred km on Sunday - the MRA screen is much much better than the stocker, but still doesn't 100% reduce the wind noise in my helmet. It needs to be a little taller, by about an inch I reckon.

Although when notforhigwayuse and I swapped bikes for a short stint, I had no whistling noise while I was on the XR, so it must all come down to the pattern of the airflow around the two types of windscreen on my 'Dero in relation to my helmet
The V-strom forums have hundreds of posts on windscreens and the multiple combinations of; height, width, helmet type, peak, body height, width, mirror shape etc etc etc.
Buffering (turbulence between the screen and the riders body) seems to be the major noise and discomfort generator.

The only thing that works with most riders is a really short screen

BurnieM screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 06:54 PM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Tangles had the same problem with the whistling in the helmet none of us got it i had the same model helmet that i didnt use anymore dusted it off and went for a run and got the whistle tip my head up down or sideways and there it was again problem was where the air ran over the helmet from the screen
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
wot?! screen and heated grips? that's it?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

haha, this is going to happen in chapters Shmerel, there's more on the way - the stuff coming from overseas (crashbars etc.) is taking longer than I thought, and I have to get to the Big Smoke to pick up some Conti TKC's that I bought off a fellow inmate. Can't mount my GPS 'cos Johnny Appleseed is a slow-poke...

and apparently I still have to work at least 5 days a week, even though I have a new toy - stoopid rules
Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Quote:
Tangles had the same problem with the whistling in the helmet none of us got it i had the same model helmet that i didnt use anymore dusted it off and went for a run and got the whistle tip my head up down or sideways and there it was again problem was where the air ran over the helmet from the screen
time for a new helmet then?! hmmmmm HJC IS-Multi.....
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

its worth trying a different helmet to see it it makes a difference

screen is on the way my missus is going to hate you for giving me ideas lol
tEAM nONG
Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Quote:
my missus is going to hate you for giving me ideas lol
I know nuffink
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie
haha, this is going to happen in chapters Shmerel, there's more on the way - the stuff coming from overseas (crashbars etc.) is taking longer than I thought, and I have to get to the Big Smoke to pick up some Conti TKC's that I bought off a fellow inmate. Can't mount my GPS 'cos Johnny Appleseed is a slow-poke...

and apparently I still have to work at least 5 days a week, even though I have a new toy - stoopid rules
ja are and expensive.

bts, best gps mount is the touratech one, with the built in spring suspesion. you get what you pay for.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote