ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
holmesie OP
I like stuff...
 
holmesie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In the sticks - CANOWINDRA NSW Australia
Oddometer: 588
Wicked Farkling my Varadero...

Thought I'd start a progress thread for the farkling of my Varadero.

I have lots in store for this bike, as I plan on keeping it a while and *hopefully* clocking up some k's as well

It will be a steady process to get it ready, but I can be patient.

The day I picked it up - stock as, with 12,000km on the clock and on original rubber


Now waiting on crashbars, GPS mount, Conti tyres and some other goodies to materialise from various places.

Have since fitted heated grips


MRA Vario screen


Will add more pics as things progress, but for now it's time for a riiiide

Cheers
__________________
1987 XLV750 long gone, 1994 YZF600 gone, 1999 XTZ660 Tenere gone, >> 2008 Honda Varadero - click here to see <<, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400E. Simpson Desert by DRZ, July 2012
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen
 
Not for Highway Use's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Canowindra, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 990
Like the new screen. Are those cut-outs at the bottom?
__________________
DL650, DRZ400,CRF250X, PW80

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer
 
Rev Tiny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: here there and abit everywhere
Oddometer: 2,602
did you get the screen in ozor get it sent over also if you dont mind me asking what sort of coin did it set you back?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer
 
Desert2202's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Alice Springs Central Australia
Oddometer: 681
Looking good Holmsie
__________________
Geoff in the Desert
2013 KLR650
Desert2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
holmesie OP
I like stuff...
 
holmesie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In the sticks - CANOWINDRA NSW Australia
Oddometer: 588
Thanks Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tiny
did you get the screen in ozor get it sent over also if you dont mind me asking what sort of coin did it set you back?
I got it thru my local Honda dealer. Wasn't cheap at $250, and he reckons it was the last one in Au? Going for a ride with Mr. Not-for-highway-use tomorrow so I'll let you know what I think of it.

I've see them on fleabay for around $150au, but the sellers are quoting almost as much again in freight

AFAIK those cutouts are supposed to reduce negative air pressure behind the screen and so also reduce turbulence/buffeting
__________________
1987 XLV750 long gone, 1994 YZF600 gone, 1999 XTZ660 Tenere gone, >> 2008 Honda Varadero - click here to see <<, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400E. Simpson Desert by DRZ, July 2012
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
gsd4me
90% bluff
 
gsd4me's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,014
I`ve got an MRA vario screen on my 1100GS, makes life so much easier on those 1,000Km days. Got it from England; little over a week from order to fitted on bike.
__________________
David Hunn:
R100GS Ray Peake special.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
holmesie OP
I like stuff...
 
holmesie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In the sticks - CANOWINDRA NSW Australia
Oddometer: 588
Did a few hundred km on Sunday - the MRA screen is much much better than the stocker, but still doesn't 100% reduce the wind noise in my helmet. It needs to be a little taller, by about an inch I reckon.

Although when notforhigwayuse and I swapped bikes for a short stint, I had no whistling noise while I was on the XR, so it must all come down to the pattern of the airflow around the two types of windscreen on my 'Dero in relation to my helmet
__________________
1987 XLV750 long gone, 1994 YZF600 gone, 1999 XTZ660 Tenere gone, >> 2008 Honda Varadero - click here to see <<, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400E. Simpson Desert by DRZ, July 2012
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
BurnieM
Nipple boy
 
BurnieM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie
Did a few hundred km on Sunday - the MRA screen is much much better than the stocker, but still doesn't 100% reduce the wind noise in my helmet. It needs to be a little taller, by about an inch I reckon.

Although when notforhigwayuse and I swapped bikes for a short stint, I had no whistling noise while I was on the XR, so it must all come down to the pattern of the airflow around the two types of windscreen on my 'Dero in relation to my helmet
The V-strom forums have hundreds of posts on windscreens and the multiple combinations of; height, width, helmet type, peak, body height, width, mirror shape etc etc etc.
Buffering (turbulence between the screen and the riders body) seems to be the major noise and discomfort generator.

The only thing that works with most riders is a really short screen
.

BurnieM screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 06:54 PM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer
 
Rev Tiny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: here there and abit everywhere
Oddometer: 2,602
Tangles had the same problem with the whistling in the helmet none of us got it i had the same model helmet that i didnt use anymore dusted it off and went for a run and got the whistle tip my head up down or sideways and there it was again problem was where the air ran over the helmet from the screen
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Shmerel
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Where my soul takes me
Oddometer: 11,152
wot?! screen and heated grips? that's it?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
holmesie OP
I like stuff...
 
holmesie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In the sticks - CANOWINDRA NSW Australia
Oddometer: 588
haha, this is going to happen in chapters Shmerel, there's more on the way - the stuff coming from overseas (crashbars etc.) is taking longer than I thought, and I have to get to the Big Smoke to pick up some Conti TKC's that I bought off a fellow inmate. Can't mount my GPS 'cos Johnny Appleseed is a slow-poke...

and apparently I still have to work at least 5 days a week, even though I have a new toy - stoopid rules
__________________
1987 XLV750 long gone, 1994 YZF600 gone, 1999 XTZ660 Tenere gone, >> 2008 Honda Varadero - click here to see <<, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400E. Simpson Desert by DRZ, July 2012
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
holmesie OP
I like stuff...
 
holmesie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In the sticks - CANOWINDRA NSW Australia
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tiny
Tangles had the same problem with the whistling in the helmet none of us got it i had the same model helmet that i didnt use anymore dusted it off and went for a run and got the whistle tip my head up down or sideways and there it was again problem was where the air ran over the helmet from the screen
time for a new helmet then?! hmmmmm HJC IS-Multi.....
__________________
1987 XLV750 long gone, 1994 YZF600 gone, 1999 XTZ660 Tenere gone, >> 2008 Honda Varadero - click here to see <<, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400E. Simpson Desert by DRZ, July 2012
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer
 
Rev Tiny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: here there and abit everywhere
Oddometer: 2,602
its worth trying a different helmet to see it it makes a difference

screen is on the way my missus is going to hate you for giving me ideas lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
holmesie OP
I like stuff...
 
holmesie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In the sticks - CANOWINDRA NSW Australia
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tiny
my missus is going to hate you for giving me ideas lol
I know nuffink
__________________
1987 XLV750 long gone, 1994 YZF600 gone, 1999 XTZ660 Tenere gone, >> 2008 Honda Varadero - click here to see <<, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400E. Simpson Desert by DRZ, July 2012
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Shmerel
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Where my soul takes me
Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie
haha, this is going to happen in chapters Shmerel, there's more on the way - the stuff coming from overseas (crashbars etc.) is taking longer than I thought, and I have to get to the Big Smoke to pick up some Conti TKC's that I bought off a fellow inmate. Can't mount my GPS 'cos Johnny Appleseed is a slow-poke...

and apparently I still have to work at least 5 days a week, even though I have a new toy - stoopid rules
ja are and expensive.

bts, best gps mount is the touratech one, with the built in spring suspesion. you get what you pay for.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014