User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
katanarama OP
riding > posting

Oddometer: 182
1 day to ride in and around San Francisco

I am in SF for business early next month. I plan to rent a bike for a day. Who has a favorite ride starting downtown SF and returning for 4-5 hours?

thanks all!
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,171
You are making me homesick.

Anyway, it depends on if you want to head north or south. North will take you over the Golden Gate and put you around Point Reyes and Muir Woods and the like. The roads around Mt. Tam are fun and some good stuff there. Personally, I think there is too much traffic and too much traffic enforcement up there to enjoy any spirited or solitary riding.

If you head south, then you would want to go to Alice's and there are literally hundreds of roads in the area from the over populated and squid filled Hwy 9 and 84, to the uninhabited roads like Ice Cream Grade. Pescadero road, Stage Road, and 236 all in that general area are within striking distance and are frankly some of the best riding I've ever done- and that includes wasting my time in the Alps here in Europe (riding here is really lame).

All of those roads can funnel you out to Pescadero Beach where you can enjoy some good coast time and then do a nice leisurely cruise up Hwy 1 back to the City to drop off you bike.

Seriously, just look at a map- even Google Maps- and look for squiggly lines and you will not be disappointed. Avoid what look like main roads and stick to the secondary ones and you will see very little if any traffic despite being so close to such a huge population.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Sally: What's up Bryce, been awhile. Have you tried Slovenia? I was there without my bike, but it looked like an amazing place to ride. Check out Triglav National Park. Here's a cool RR from the area. Bled was cool as well.

Katanarama: Everything Sally said is spot on. Also check this list of roads out. It's tough to go wrong riding in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Just watch for cops.

*edit* I don't know why the link brings the map up small like that. If you go through the main southbayriders.com/forums site and click on "Riding Areas" in the upper right corner it'll get you a bigger map.

T O Double D screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 10:39 PM
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
khan46
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
what motorcycle do you plan to rent?
if your renting a sport bike. then head up north, take highway 1 all the way up when you get tired, make a u turn and come back.

im sure when you get back to the city, ull want to do it all over again the very next day :P
khan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Sally: What's up Bryce, been awhile. Have you tried Slovenia? I was there without my bike, but it looked like an amazing place to ride. Check out Triglav National Park. Here's a cool RR from the area. Bled was cool as well.

Katanarama: Everything Sally said is spot on. Also check this list of roads out. It's tough to go wrong riding in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Just watch for cops.

*edit* I don't know why the link brings the map up small like that. If you go through the main southbayriders.com/forums site and click on "Riding Areas" in the upper right corner it'll get you a bigger map.
Yo! It has been a while. I just want to come home- this hamster cage isn't my style. Thanks for the links too. I may try to get a decent ride in before winter sets in here, and you may have found the winner for me.

Katanarama, get a GS or RT, but not a potato cannon as some of the road surfaces are not the best.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
cafecubano
ride and let ride

Oddometer: 56
I always went south down to Alices then made my way down to Pescadero. Early in the weekend mornings were the best times to go, less traffic. And should you decide to pass a slow moving cager JUST STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINES. Alteast that what the Highway department told me when handing me the citation
Also going south was always much cooler for me than going north. You've got the redwoods provdiing shade most of the way down, which is perfect with all your riding gear. where the sun is beating down on you most of the way up north. Plus I just enjoyed talking it up with all the other rider at Alices come the weekend, there aren't that many other riders out there during the week, but come the weekend The other cool thing about showing up there on the weekend is that you can ask any one there for which direction to go for a good ride, though it is all good riding.
The trip down to Pescadero and back to the city, after stopping at Alices, took me about 3 hours.
oh, I also I have no Idea where you are coming from but just a heads up YOU CAN SPLIT LINES IN CALIFORNIA just so long as you pass under the speed limit and no more than ten mph from the cars your passing. Most of us that do spit lanes only do it in between the far LEFT two lanes, that where the cagers know to be looking for us on two wheels.

enjoy the Bay Area it is one of the best places to ride.
cafecubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,966
Rent a GS or a Multistrada or a Tiger from Dubbelju on Bryant. Ride to Alice's, have breakfast. Head up Mt Hamilton and visit the Lick Observatory. If you have time, head over Del Puerto Canyon Road to Paterson for lunch. Take Mines Road back to Livermore and get back to SF by whichever route takes your fantasy.

Mt Hamilton, as I'm sure many on here will know, has the potential to be very demanding. My son and I did this ride a couple of weekends ago and he described it as "intense". It would be supermoto heaven. Del Puerto Canyon rivals some of the very best roads that I've ridden here in Scotland. Mines is lost in a haze of 5 days, 1200 miles and lots of mountain passes.
Schtum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
The northern route is fantastic, as suggested above.

go down south on Highway 1, take Hwy 92 to Hwy 35 and then ride all the way down, you can hop off on Hwy 84 or Pescadero, there are a few great side roads sprinkled around down there.

The key I found while living down there was to go early or later to avoid crowds.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
katanarama OP
riding > posting

Thanks! After reading all this great info I am thinking I will rent for two days.

What is the weather like early October? Predictable?

If anyone here live in the bay area and wants to ride Saturday October 9, just let me know.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Weather will be hit or miss. Most likely it will be mildly cool, but certainly not cold.

If you have 2 days, I'd do one day to Alice's and then another over to Hamilton and Del Puerto and the like. The north bay has some nice places, but it is just not for me unless you head WAY up. I've got a really cool track that we did on a 2 day ride last year if you want to head up that way.

After reading Todd's RRs, I am REALLY homesick now...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
ddecarlo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tunitus Creek Rd

http://www.chainreaction.com/tunitasloop.htm
watch out for those groups of brightly colored road hogs that take up half a lane and cause cages to go left of center on blind curves.
ddecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,868
What Sally said.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
katanarama OP
riding > posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddecarlo
http://www.chainreaction.com/tunitasloop.htm
watch out for those groups of brightly colored road hogs that take up half a lane and cause cages to go left of center on blind curves.
Yeah I have read some things about cyclists around the area. As a (former) cyclist myself I kinda see both sides. Long and short is that when bicycle meets car, car wins. Cyclists are crazy if they don't ride defensively.

The cyclists in Vancouver are a pretty self empowered bunch and often blow thru' stop signs and flaunt the law. I will be on the lookout for the southern breed in the hills.

Man I excited about this ride out!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
This thread is making me homesick for the Bay Area. So much good riding, year round.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanarama
Yeah I have read some things about cyclists around the area. As a (former) cyclist myself I kinda see both sides. Long and short is that when bicycle meets car, car wins. Cyclists are crazy if they don't ride defensively.

The cyclists in Vancouver are a pretty self empowered bunch and often blow thru' stop signs and flaunt the law. I will be on the lookout for the southern breed in the hills.

Man I excited about this ride out!
On the weekends, Chainreaction isn't who you need to worry about, it's the Webcor dudes--in green. They can be pretty self righteous. The guys in the back will bitch because you don't pass and the guys in the middle won't move out of both lanes of a two lane road.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote