Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
10Cup & Oleary at Moab, Western TAT

Day 1 & 2....

After many months of planning the time arrived to head to Moab. We arrived some 16 hours later after what seemed like a lifetime. I have some time before I literally fall asleep from a long day of riding. This will be a work in progress as once our time here in Moab is over Oleary will head back in his truck and I plan on riding the TAT back from Moab to Arkansas after doing some passes in Colorado. That's the plan, we'll see how it goes.

Here are a few pictures from the 1st day and getting to Moab.

We pull into the hotel and unload, start putting on our "gear" so we could hit the trail. Arriving around 11:30 AM we wanted to get a short ride in right away.

A short time later we're climbing up higher and have this shot of the highway below. We are heading for Gemini Bridges this afternoon.

Oleary leading the way, we get up over 6,100 feet on this leg.
The WR's don't even know they're out of Arkansas, they just purr along.

Ridding was pretty technical for most of the route, either rock or sand had you on your toes at all times.

Stopping to take some pictures, we took over 150 pictures in the next three hours. You can't take enough pictures of this place!

More rocks/sand.....

We arrive at the intended Gemini Bridges.

Where we meet Brook and Jake, Brother & Sister from Logan, UT. Great kids. Brook was on a big red ATV while Jake had a nice little Honda 200 (I think)

They were nice enough to snap a picture of two crusty old Arkies too.

Jake tells us that a month or two earlier someone fell off the Gemini Bridges by trying to jump between the two...............how can anyone be that, well, you can be sure we will keep our feet well planted.

Oleary heading down to the "Bridges"

To be continued...........

10Cup screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 04:59 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Fremont
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi Dad! Pictures make me sooooo jealous

http://www.archviewresort.com/

Dad stop by this place, this is where Josh and I stayed, there are more trails right a the campground. We stayed in the first little cabin you see. It was sooooooo fun!

I love you been watching you please be careful! :)
Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Fremont
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Heres the directions -

Go take a pic for me at this resort! Here are the directions - you should try the trail behind the campground too thats where Josh and I went you'll see the dinosaur tracks!

From Moab go north on Highway 191 approximately 9 miles. You will see us on your right, just past the junction with Highway 313 which takes you to Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park.
Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
DNTOUCH
Need more time to ride.

Oddometer: 785
Subscribed..

I'll be there in a week, along with Neveda72 (Bob) who i think you met in AR this spring.

What hotel are you at? And how long are you going to be in that area..

Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,530
Fremont may be descrbing the Klondike Bluffs trail, that's where I saw the dino tracks. It's been ten years, but I recall it being easy.
I may have met Oleary at Oark, he was with Doc and Charlie at last year's FCT.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2 Continued.....

First off, thanks to all for the comments and Fremont I'll check out your campsite and trail on Sunday. Have been past your campsite several times already. Glad you found the ride report thread and thanks for following along! Love you guys.

We are staying at the "Apache" hotel and like the sign says "best deal in Moab" Not fancy but clean and comfortable. They fill up each night so call ahead.

OK, just got back from ridding and will put a little more time into the ride report before I fall asleep. I have been sleeping VERY well believe me. Found the ridding to be a full time all the time stay focused and be at the top of your game here. SAND is a big work out too! Pretty much got my
sand legs after the first day but it is always a lot of work.

OK, we left off on Gemini Bridges so we'll pick back up there. Oleary makes it down to the Bridges.

Sure, go ahead Oleary jump, your spry........

Serious height here, I would guess over a 1,000 feet to the bottom.....

Your's truly checking out the "edge"

After Gemini we head for Dead Horse Point.

Our Horses on Dead Horse Point.

Had to take a short break here while Oleary relieved himself........oh brother another dead horse..... not sure where he had it "pointed"..... Oh, yeah there were two dead horses come to think about it.......

After we got "those" Dead Horses put away, we headed on down Long Canyon Road which proved to be quite technical in places. Stunning scenery and a very cool and huge rock that had fallen across the road with just enough room to ride through.

From then on it was just more fantastic scenery and pretty tough riding with lots of big rocks to negotiate.

From the cockpit.......

OK, let's play "find Oleary".....

There he is.......as you can see lots of elevation changes.

Did I mention Sand............

Sand and rocks, lOTS of both........ALL the time. Need a rest best get OFF the bike.

About the time you start gawking at the amazing scenery....you hit a rock or sand pit.....we were wringing wet and the temps were quite cool. High of only 78 the first day.

We bot back to the slab and headed back to the hotel. Not bad for our first afternoon. No casualties and the bikes were perfect.
We found out real fast however that this riding was going to be slow going.....note the "moving average"...

Nite folks...time to eat/sleep/repeat!

10Cup screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 05:48 PM
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,343
You two know I am subscribed. I've been following you on your Spot page and have been plugging the coordinates into Google Earth to get an idea of what it looks like.

GE showed 1100' in elevation change from the overlook at Gemini Bridges to the canyon floor. So, you were right serious drop! Stay safe you guys! and can't wait for the next installment.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTOUCH
Subscribed..

I'll be there in a week, along with Neveda72 (Bob) who i think you met in AR this spring.

What hotel are you at? And how long are you going to be in that area..

I would expect to be leaving Moab on Monday morning (9/13/10) and start my TAT ride back to Ark. Yes, I have ridden with Nevada 72, great rider, hope you both have as good a time as we are having. Not a bad route out here either, just some that you probably don't want to ride like Poison Spider
Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
nevada72
Klaatu barada nikto

Oddometer: 530
Subscribed! I'm really looking forward to following this thread! I'm sure you'll point us in the right direction for next week.

The riding and scenery look great, but is there buttermilk pie??

Have fun!
1964 Honda Dream
1967 Honda CA Touring
nevada72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,430
Moab Day 1 by Oleary

I guess I will get off my tired duff and add a few pictures of 10Cup's and my first day in Moab. He has already given you all the pertinent data so I will just add photos and comments

The start of our ascent to Gemini Bridges off Hiway 191.

10Cup in the eye of one of the Gemini Bridges & more.....

This the jump from one bridge to the other that 10Cup mentioned. Doesn't look like much but is about 12-15 ft and just
puts a shiver up yur back and makes your knees weak to think someone would try it.

Here are a couple of shots looking down on the canyon below.

10Cup reconoitering the area..

Then on the trail to Dead Horse canyon.

We have arrived at Dead Horse Point overlooking Dead Horse Canyon which is the end of the line in Long Canyon. I am on point looking for some dead horses but no luck. Can't see that far. But man, what a view looking down Long Ganyon, Here is what the landscape looks like from the point.

I did find a half dead horse taking a blow!

Then itis time to make the descent to thr canyon base. That was one doozy of a road and steep too. Lots of rocks and hairpin turns. Didn't get any pics of the trail down.Too busy dodgin big rocks and hangin on. This what it looks like near the bottom.

Then into the Jug Handle area before we head back to Moab. Saw so many sites today it is unreal, and only rode for half a day. Bone tired tho after 16 hours of slab and five hours of dirt and breathtaking scenery.

Thats all for Day 1. More to follow.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 10:35 PM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,543
Thanks for sharing
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Very Nice!

More please...

What camera are you using? Wonderful shots

Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDave
More please...

What camera are you using? Wonderful shots

Dave
Oleary has a Nikon S4000 and I am using a Pentax W90. Not DSR's but good none the less.