Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #61
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,259
Great report Tim and Mike. I enjoyed it.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #62
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
Yeah mike the grasshoppers were thick across oklahoma! Our leading edges of our bags were pretty disgusting to say the least.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #63
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,285
TAT Day 1

Those are some great pictures Mike and looks like a lot of fun. Well, maybe not the loose rocks and steep sections. What a different environment than Moab was. Really envious of the experience and regretting that I didn't tag along. Couldn't do it though, lots to do at work. Maybe next year. Looking forward for more. Take care and we will touch base when you return.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #64
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Great ride report guys. Makes me want to go back out there. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I like the way you have your WR's set up. How did they do out there?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #65
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

WR's in Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo
Great ride report guys. Makes me want to go back out there. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I like the way you have your WR's set up. How did they do out there?
Worked great. But you should know, I see that you were riding in Colorado about the same time we were in Moab. My partner in Moab probably rode some of the same trails and passes that you did as he rode the TAT back to Arkasas from there. I noticed that you said that you were riding a WR as well. I checked out your ride report "Two Okies in Colorado".It appeared that you had yours painted. Looked pretty neat. Bikes handled well in all terrain, except I did have trouble in the deep sand. I eventually just had to slow way down and paddle my way thru it. I am kind of a noob tho so maybe I just don't have the right technique.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #66
JaiDee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY
Man, that would have been too much fun. When are you getting back this way? I look forward to riding with you as well. Thought of you when I wrote about the sand woes and slowing down and paddling thru it. Sage advice I once heard from a wise biker dude.
Get-offs are all just part of the fun...long as there are no broken bones.

I'll be back for a couple of weeks at Christmas so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a nice warm spell that'll allow for some riding. Unfortunately though I won't be back for an extended time till mid-June. Then it's ride time! Hate to miss SLAP again, but you know how it goes with bills to pay.

Take care and keep those RRs coming in.

-JD
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #67
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiDee
Get-offs are all just part of the fun...long as there are no broken bones.

I'll be back for a couple of weeks at Christmas so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a nice warm spell that'll allow for some riding. Unfortunately though I won't be back for an extended time till mid-June. Then it's ride time! Hate to miss SLAP again, but you know how it goes with bills to pay.

Take care and keep those RRs coming in.

-JD
Give me a holler when you are back in area. We'll hook up and do some riding. I thought Mike told me you were looking foe a ride down there in the Southern Hemisphere. Have you had any luck there? Take care and see you when you are back.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 09-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #68
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Western TAT Day 2....

Got up in Silverton the next morning and had frost on my seat! What fun, and we were worried about the heat..

I head out before sun up toward Animas Forks and Cinnamon pass. Came across this old ruins, not sure just what it was.

Very pretty out as the Sun starts to come over the mountains.

Right about now I could use some heat, come on Sunshine. Have to say we were so very lucky with weather on this trip, could not have been any better, cool mornings and low 80's in the afternoons. Sun shown every day.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Still climbing.

Finally come up on Animas Forks old mining buildings, very cool. Since I am ridding the TAT from West to East you will probably see some new angles on some old pictures of this place.

OK, were outta here......

Looking back as I climb up to Cinnamon pass.

A few more twisties and rocks and we arrive at the summit.

Now we gotta get down from here..

Not to worry if you slide over the side it'll only hurt for a little while

Another old mine shaft that has been closed.

Really very scenic coming down.

Rode by some old buildings too.

Stopped buy this one to take a brake and down some Gatorade Oleary was kind enough to give me and a power bar.

There was another couple of old buildings up in the trees a little further.

As I got down off the pass I started to run across a lot of TAT'rs ridding the East to West route, bet I counted two dozen guys. I finally met up with three guys in Lake City, Co.

Left to right, BigRod1, ImGoin and tx246 great guys, they had Started out on the Continental Divide ride in Grants, NM then took the TAT from Salida, Co west and hoped to make it to Mcdermitt, NV before time ran out. Hope you guys made it safe and sound. Great meeting you all.

So we head our separate ways and later in the afternoon I am closing in on Gunnison National Forest when I see this sign.....I wanted to take this route bad but it went back the wrong direction. IF I was going the normal East to West route I would have added this loop to the TAT.

I press on, wanting to make Tincup pass in time to descend down to lower levels and possibly find a hotel or just camp. Little did I know what was in store for me.....as I am pushing hard I ride past this very very nice ranch and had to stop for a picture.

OK, move it or you won't make the pass in time.

When up comes the little town of....you guessed it Tincup!
Already closed up for the winter here too!

I head on through town and see a sign that says the actual pass is seven miles up the mountain.......no sweat, right...........WRONG. Read on......

I'm riding through bolder fields and water crossings like this

When I see a Jeep inching down the next steep.....no STEEEEP hill and the rocks are not rocks any more...more like boulders...this guy was going over one at a time......this should have been a clue.. but did I stop........nope.......should have though.

I ride through these rocks for another two miles when I see a ATV coming down.......notice NOONE is going UP.

I am now at about 11,000 feet and completely exhausted, my arms and legs are quivering and I can't get enough air to maintain my strength. The little R is just willing as it can be however. Anyway the guy on the ATV says where you from and I tell him Arkansas, says you got rocks like this...etc etc. Anyway he say most guys ride the pass from the SOUTH side which if you were going the East to West TAT would be the normal way to do it. He says you only got about two more miles to go....I darn near passed out right there.

Anyway determined to do it I forge ahead and get about another mile, I'm now at 12,000 feet and have to stop. I look up where I still have to climb as I try to catch my breath while laying on the ground, the R patiently waiting on the old guy who can't breath.....

I NOW realize I can't make it....dissapointment sets in.....failure...don't like it at all. But living is probably better?

I turn around and ride back down the six miles to the town of Tincup, now I'm really gasping for air and just plain soaking wet from sweat and it's very cool out......I have never had to work so hard at any ridding ever. (and don't ever plan on it again!) ..........it gets worse........
My huffing and puffing bring on an allergy attack like I haven't had in years. My eyes start watering, nose running, sneezing......I was totally miserable. It's now about 5:30 in the afternoon and I had no idea where I was going to stay for the night.......

I get back on and take off, looking at the GPS I see I have another pass to negotiate if I'm going to get a hotel room. Not going to happen...... I pull into some trees among a bunch of cows and pitch my tent.....I'm spent big time.

Careful where you step...

Get everything set up and try to relax and get my allergies under control. Funny the cows spent the night munching around my tent like no big deal. I had them for company the whole night. Did I mention I was still at 9600 feet......it got very cold, my Camelback froze.....my power bars were now crackers.....but my zero degree sleeping bag kept me cozy and warm, just had to pull it up over my head. Got down into the 20's I found out later.

In the morning I still feel funny from all the medicine but break camp and head out.........more on day 3...if I live that long.

10Cup screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 12:51 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #69
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,259
Wow Mike..sounds like you did the right thing though.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #70
JaiDee
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY
Give me a holler when you are back in area. We'll hook up and do some riding. I thought Mike told me you were looking foe a ride down there in the Southern Hemisphere. Have you had any luck there? Take care and see you when you are back.
I'll definitely give you a call when I get back Tim.

I was looking for a bike here, but at the Kawasaki dealer the owner told me I'd be nuts to go out in a group of fewer than 6-8 guys and would be a target for thieves. Since Chavez has been in power the economy has really hit the skids and there are a lot of desperately poor folks here getting what they need to survive by whatever means they can. Violent crime has risen dramatically and so in the big cities and many parts of the countryside personal security is a real issue. Very disappointing news for me! No bike in the future for me here I guess.

Arkansas will be really sweet to get back to!

-JD
- Robert Frost
Old 09-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #71
JaiDee
Petrolhead

Yikes!

Wow Mike! What a ride. Looks like you earned yourself a good nights sleep riding up the pass...and down. Smart of you to turn around when you did though. Being up on top of the Divide at night can be really risky. Bad weather comes in fast and is pretty unpredictable. Don't beat yourself up too bad for riding up as high as you did though because the altitude really can affect your judgement. It's a slow process but slowly builds and before you know it, at least if you're like I am, you're asking yourself what in the world you were thinking when...

Thanks for writing up all your adventures and for all the pictures too. Great stuff!!!

-JD
- Robert Frost
Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #72
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,606

HF

P.s. I rode thru several of these areas around Silverton on my KLR, 2nd week of August. Beeeeeeeeutiful area. Loved every bit of it.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #73
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiDee
I'll definitely give you a call when I get back Tim.

I was looking for a bike here, but at the Kawasaki dealer the owner told me I'd be nuts to go out in a group of fewer than 6-8 guys and would be a target for thieves. Since Chavez has been in power the economy has really hit the skids and there are a lot of desperately poor folks here getting what they need to survive by whatever means they can. Violent crime has risen dramatically and so in the big cities and many parts of the countryside personal security is a real issue. Very disappointing news for me! No bike in the future for me here I guess.

Arkansas will be really sweet to get back to!

-JD
I wouldn't take a chance on riding in that environment either. Like I said, you are a wise biker dude! Take care and live to ride again, in America!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #74
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Western TAT

What great scenery! Got me all excited about planning our next adventure. This time I want to get in on all the action. I say that now but I forget how exhausting that can be. I better start working out and get in better shape.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #75
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Western TAT Day 3......
Broke camp and headed out, very cool this morning and I still felt like I had very little energy, mostly from the allergy medicine I was taking probably. I had another pass to climb but it turned out to be pretty easy.

Not too many pictures today, just wanted to get some miles behind me. Next stop was at Cotopaxi for fuel.

Ended the day by making it to Laveta, Co. and got a room with a view.

Skip this town if you can is all I can say....

Day 4 ........

I woke the next morning and felt a little better, had the continental breakfast and then saddled up. This guy must be the town pet he or she wanders around town like a dog. Not afraid of anything and looking for food I would suspect.

Not far out of Laveta I find construction taking more of our TAT roads to pavement.

Saw a lot of TAT riders on the road today, didn't get to talk to any of them but counted a dozen or more. All heading West.

Passed through Trinidad and declined on getting fuel.
Some time later I pull into Branson and visit the local jail

I like it better from outside....

Not real acomadating...

I see I have over 100 miles to the next gas stop and can "probably" make it, but think better of it. Ask a local about fuel and he says none here....but the guy at the School might have some...so I go visit the local bus driver/mechanic (not sure what he did) but very nice guy. Says, well yes I have some at home follow me. (two blocks)

Topped me off from his personal tank. Thanked him and paid him well, then off on some more high speed gravel.

Wasn't long before I hit New Mexico and the roads changed a bit.

Everyone has probably seen the "Long Canyon Road" sign, well I went through this from the West to East direction, rocky and a little steep but after what I experienced on the Tincup pass was a piece of cake.

Where I'm heading when I get down Long Canyon.

Ah, there's the sign.

Wasn't long after that and I bid New Mexico "Hasta La Vista.

Stop for fuel at a Love's truck stop and hit the local Subway. I love the meatball sandwiches. Had a tuna fish made up to go. Hoping to make liberal, KS by end of day. I was starting to feel better but this was a long day with mileage over 300.

had a few roads that were nothing more than the end of a farmers field, Grasshoppers galore, had them all over my boots and shins.

Then I ran into the "keep it between the lines" roads too.

Welcome to Kansas friends. Found a new motel (Green Tree) and checked in. 326 miles for the day but hey I had my supper from Subway so all I wanted was a hot shower my sandwich and to sleep.

End of Day 4.....

10Cup screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 04:42 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote