User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
jtb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Oberon - Farm and Forestry

I've been a reader of ride reports on this site for years. Never bothered with a ride report previously. Didn't ride enough or didn't have a camera, and the one thing I learnt from reading all those reports was that some half decent photo's really make for a good report.

Well here goes my first ride report effort...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
jtb OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been going to Oberon for the past 24 years. I first went to the property as a 16 year old on work experience. The farmers son and I hit it off and have been really good mates since. Only recently the Farmer 'Nev' and his wife have decided to downsize and sold off the majority of the place.

A farmer tends to gather stuff mostly 'behind the shed' (centre of above photo) in case he might need it one day... the new bloke doesn't want to buy this, so Nev needs a bit of a hand in sorting it out before he has to move out. I have some annual leave up my sleeve and head up for a few days.

An old mate who used to ride enduro's and trail ride with wanted to catch up for a snappy ride and some bench racing. Only problem was I didn't have a bike.

I called my mate who happened to be ovesea's... 'no problems just take one of my bikes'. No more problem.

So I combined the two.

My ride for the first two days...

Some of the old stuff we had to move included headers with flat tyres, no brakes and no steering...

Now I've read a lot of questions on this site that should be put into an FAQ section I'll ask and answer a few of them along the way...
FAQ:What tent should I use?
I went for the six bedroom shearers quarters myself. Four showers and two toilet model. Also thrown in were an open fire and full sized kitchen and appliances.

jtb screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 07:17 AM
Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
jtb OP
Beastly Adventurer

I gave Nev a hand for the first two days, he was very glad of the help especially as his other son was there and we achieved far more with the extra set of hands.

My mate was due to arrive about 9.30pm on day 2 after knocking off from work and having a 4.5 hour drive. He was running a little late due to limited visibility caused by a shocking fog. But he arrived and we talked crap until just after midnight.

Day three was for riding!
FAQ: Which bike should I buy?
I didn't buy any! I just rocked up to the shed and took a look at the inventory...

Choice 1

Ummmmm... maybe some other time thanks.

Choice 2

Getting warmer... what's that over the other side of the lathe?

Choice 3

Now there'd be a Honda Ag bike, a DT175, a WR400, an '06 WR450 and an '08 WR450 in that group (and they're the ones not covered up).

Look I don't want to be a pain I'll just borrow that blue one on the left it's much easier to get out... "the '08 WR you say?"

Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
jtb OP
Beastly Adventurer

FAQ: What helmet should I buy/wear/matches my bike?
Spend as much as you think your head is worth!

"Need a helmet?"

No thanks, she'll be right. I've got all the gear except the bike...

Funny thing is we bought our helmets at the same time, I've got the same helmet at home in blue!