Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,877
Sometimes it's NOT About the Ride.

Sometimes it's about the destination.
Note shamelessly stolen iDave format.

I moved away from home a long time ago. The rest of the family has stayed put. There's a lot to be said for that, but I could never sit still. Even as a kid, I always had to be going somewhere, and it didn't really matter where. As soon as I got out of high school, I hit the road. I tried to settle back home a couple of times, but it never seemed right. A life of naval service and field technical work kept me moving for years.

Once or twice a year, I have to make that trip back home. I have roots, too. But my roots are in the people, my family. The place is beautiful, but thatís not what itís about for me. It wasnít too easy when I lived in Japan, and living in California didnít seem any closer, but now that I live in North Carolina, itís driving distance. No excuses not to go, and a perfect excuse for a ride.

Those of you reading this that have that wanderlust, you know who I am, don't you?
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Day One

I had a hurricane to contend with. It was looking like Earl was taking the same course to New England that I was, and we would be on the same timetable. I could sense he was going to be a flash in the pan and to be perfectly honest, I love riding in the rain. Itís almost like ďback to the wombĒ or something for me. One of the best rides Iíve had happened a couple weeks ago on the way to work. Itís only 12 miles, and I wish it could have gone on forever. Raining, dark, and no traffic; absolutely fantastic and a great way to start the day.

Anyway, I hit the road at 0500 Friday morning with the intention of putting well over 50% of the distance behind me before stopping for the night.

I did a lot of thinking during the day; the interstate is conducive to that. My closest aunt has been diagnosed with cancer. It has started me thinking about my own mortality and that of my family. My folks always sheltered us kids from death; now Iím going to have to figure out how to face it. I donít know if I got anything sorted, but eventually my brain shut off and it was just me, my butt and my stock seat in the wind at 80 +.

Earl was the disappointment I thought he would be; he didnít rain on me at all. A little sprinkle in eastern New York and some very humid weather to compliment the traffic jams in Connecticut was all he could muster. By the time I had 720 miles under my belt I was nearly in Massachusetts. I camped alongside I-84 (in a motel) and slept like a baby.

No pictures this day, it was all about the miles and there wasnít much to see anyway.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 795
Looking forward to the pics!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,365

Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Racing Earl

I got off to another 0500 start on Saturday. When I'm trying to get somewhere, I like to get a couple hours under my belt before breakfast. Traffic is lighter and I like riding into the dawn.

Earl had passed through during the night with minimal fuss. A couple hours later, somewhere along I-495, I caught up to him.

There was a very definite line of the storm's trailing edge working its way northeast ahead of me.

After a few hours, a milestone appeared on the horizon. This bridge is always kind of a "pick me up", no more state lines to cross (but still around 200 miles to go).

The first rest stop in Maine; look what's there in the sky, staying just ahead of me. I victualed here on an uninspiring meal of some kind, and the coffee was nasty, I actually threw it out.

Onward. Earl appears to be gaining ground. I'm going 80 most of the time...

I saw Garrison Keillor headed north. Maybe he was going to pick up some new boats.

Spotted this nice little rig. The guys over in the little camper thread should enjoy this.

I stopped at Toby's Market on Rt. 3 to get a snack and a Red Bull. While I was there I shot these pictures of the front.

Continued on Rt. 3...

and on down Rt. 1 to Bucksport. This was taken while crossing the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge.

When I got to Blue Hill, Earl was just moving offshore. I guess he won the race. That was OK with me, he left some fantastic weather in his wake.

BTW, I have decided to call my new bike Endurance. Any idea what inspired the name?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 703
Looking Good , bring it on

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
gruney1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Chub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Grew up in Bucksport but moved before the new bridge was built. Nice report!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Thanks for looking in everyone.

I'm struggling a little with this between work, work at home and a small case of writers block (or is it procrastination?). I have a few more pictures and more story to tell.

Will get back to it as soon as possible.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob

BTW, I have decided to call my new bike Endurance. Any idea what inspired the name?

Shackleton?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_(1912_ship)

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin
Shackleton?
That's it.

I read a couple different books about the expedition after seeing a documentary on TV. I don't know what men were made of back in those days, but I'm guessing there are very few of us around today that could handle being marooned in the Antarctic for 22 months. Some of the pictures that survived the ordeal are absolutely fantastic.

The story is worth looking into for anyone who has adventure in their soul.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Laconic OP
Hard Core

The Pop-in

I hadn’t told anyone I was going to visit. I get a bit of a kick out of surprising the family every once in a while. They seem to like it, too. I checked in with my brother and then went up to see my parents. Mother came out wondering “who the hell is driving up here now?” She hadn’t seen my bike before and I had my helmet closed. My aunt and uncle from Nashua were there and we all had a good reunion.

Then I went to visit my aunt who has cancer. She had had a chemo treatment the day before and was asleep when I got there. My uncle was out in the yard and we caught up for a while and then went in to visit.

What to say? She was always around when we were kids and always did stuff for us. Always remembered birthdays and took us places during the summer. I remember my cousins, my brother and I riding in the back seat of her Chevy Impala, standing up in the back seat, her always with a cigarette in her mouth. She smoked like a chimney in those days. I’m sure us kids were brats and drove her and my mother nuts… She let me sleep on her sun porch when my father locked me out of the house with nothing but a sleeping bag (in February). I deserved it, BTW. She still sends birthday cards every year, me, a 50 year old man. She quit smoking 20 years ago or so. She’s a great-grandmother now.

We didn’t talk about specifics of her cancer; I just let her tell me what she wanted to. I had no idea how to approach it and I’m sure she had been asked the same questions 2057 times. I gave her a scarf my wife made for her. We decided she wouldn’t need it until this winter. I gave her a kiss.

Laconic screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 01:56 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
good soulful stuff.

Endurance--good choice.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #14
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
The Pop-in

I hadnít told anyone I was going to visit. I get a bit of a kick out of surprising the family every once in a while. They seem to like it, too. I checked in with my brother and then went up to see my parents. Mother came out wondering ďwho the hell is driving up here now?Ē She hadnít seen my bike before and I had my helmet closed. My aunt and uncle from Nashua were there and we all had a good reunion.

Then I went to visit my aunt who has cancer. She had had a chemo treatment the day before and was asleep when I got there. My uncle was out in the yard and we caught up for a while and then went in to visit.

What to say? She was always around when we were kids and always did stuff for us. Always remembered birthdays and took us places during the summer. I remember my cousins, my brother and I riding in the back seat of her Chevy Impala, standing up in the back seat, her always with a cigarette in her mouth. She smoked like a chimney in those days. Iím sure us kids were brats and drove her and my mother nutsÖ She let me sleep on her sun porch when my father locked me out of the house with nothing but a sleeping bag (in February). I deserved it, BTW. She still sends birthday cards every year, me, a 50 year old man. She quit smoking 20 years ago or so. Sheís a great-grandmother now.

We didnít talk about specifics of her cancer; I just let her tell me what she wanted to. I had no idea how to approach it and Iím sure she had been asked the same questions 2057 times. I gave her a scarf my wife made for her. We decided she wouldnít need it until this winter. I gave her a kiss.

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but those words conjured up my mind's video files and photo albums of forty odd years of memories.

Well said.

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Family, Friends, Food and the Fair

Since my aunt and uncle were staying at my folks house, I stayed at my brother's place. He and his wife were camping at the fairgrounds, as they have a pretty time consuming business obligation there. They were happy to have me to keep an eye on things.

Everyone was tied up the next morning, so I went down town for some breakfast. First in line.

The next couple of days were spent having a little fun.

Checking out the fair...

That's the weight written on there.

This is one of my favorite places to eat, he's at the fair every year.

I took a picture of one of his masterpieces, but it was out of focus.

I always go to see some horse pulling with the folks. I like horses.

We went out to "camp" for a visit. My father dragged the camper across the ice one year and up on to shore. Then he built the building around it. To get there requires some rough road and then some walking.

There is one other "must do" when visiting during the summer. A trip to the Bagaduce Lunch for some fried clams. The best clams on the face of the earth and worth the thousand mile trip all by themselves.

There's a nice view to take in while you eat, too. This place is not to be missed if you are in the area.

Laconic screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 04:49 AM