User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 892
Gloucester and beyond - OZ

After all stressing over the weather for this excursion I awoke Friday morning to light cloud cover and but predominately blue sky’s, the rain from the night before was no where to be seen.
Don’t know why but started singing U2’s “It’s a beautiful Day” while taking this pic ( Walkers Ridge Forest Rd, Onley SF – Looking NW)

As planned I meet AstroBob and Vchops (Stromtroopers) @ Jerry’s with time for a chat and a latte before our 0900 departure.
So into the forest we went three little Stroms full of bad intent[size=6pt](whos a Tull fan)[/size]

Unfortunately it was all a bit much for one strom that needed a little lie down in a nice little patch (40 mtr) of deep loamy sand along Wollombi Forest Rd. I’d forgotten that my partners in crime hadn’t done a lot of off-road riding and started to wonder at the day ahead, but no harm was done to rider or Wee (tuff little buggers the pair of them) so we continued on to out first stop @ Boarding House Dam Picnic Area, which is located on the site of the first and largest logging camp setup in the early 1800’s

From here it was onto McLean’s Lookout

Some guys just love there stroms a bit

Our destination away in the distance

No time for chatting for the hour is getting late

and the worms where starting to bite so we made for our lunch stop at Dungog, via Cessnock, Branxton and Gresford. The Branxton-Gresford- Dungog section is one of those often forgot bike roads, but with many scenic vistas and lovely sweeping corners it’s a pleasant run for sure.
Our Original plan was to head into Chichester SF from Dungog enroute to Gloucester, but the days events had us arrive in Dungog a little later than expected, So after a bite to eat its was decided to just slab it to Gloucester via Stroud Hill Rd, which is a good run just the same.
On Arrival, bikes we refuelled and lodging sorted at the Gloucester Holiday Park

It was about now that Bob and Chops where showing signs of serious dehydration so being ride leader I felt it was my duty to ensure they were well and truly hydrated for the day ahead tomorrow, but you know what they say what happens on tour stays on tour.
Saturday we awoke to another perfect day and after a coffee and Beaky at a local café we where on the road by 0900.
First stop of the day

Given the amount of dirt that lay ahead the boys decided a little tweaking of tyre pressures was in order

While I just contemplated the road ahead

One of the drawbacks of group riding is not being able to stop ever time a great photo presents itself, but the company as usual was a fair exchange, and once up in the high country there where plenty of great panoramas that could have been photographed.
My attempt at an arty picture

Our next stop was at the Dingo Gate and lookout

The air had cooled considerably from the balmy 18deg. we’d left Gloucester in, with a rather fresh 6deg showing on Dons thermometer. So some sun was found to warm the bones while taking in the view

Wild Hogs

Another attempted arty pic

Being checked out by a local

Three little stroms all in a row, no time to dilly dally its time to go

And into the valley we go, the road down to Moonan Flat

Moonan Flat seen us stop at the renowned Victoria Hotel for a coffee and Anzac biscuit, thanx Bob for the Bickies and Don for the coffee.
As much as we where enjoying the sunshine and coffee, we could hear the cold ale within calling, so we thought it best to move on to Broke and our journeys end.
Somewhere between Rouchel Brook and Bowmans Creek.

On clear day you really see forever

Don on the Charge

Between Bowmans Creek and Goorangoola

Broke saw a refuel for both bikes and blokes, some reflection, some planning for the next “big trip”.and some general bullshitting, but it was time to say our goodbyes as
the boys had a ways to go to get home, one to the central coast, the other the gong.

So home I went, past Pokolbin SF, wondering adventures could be found within, but that’s for another day.

I rolled up the drive with 670ks on the speedo, after a great couple of days.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
oz_mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Good to see you all out having fun on your Stroms.

Some nice roads to check out if I ever get out down that way.

Ride With My Kids 24OCT09
Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
oz_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
BigFella44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Great RR guys, some fantastic shots of the district!
Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

The Black Dog, "he comes and goes - I like it when he's gone but I know when he's coming"[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]
BigFella44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Great pics & report
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
great report looks like a fun ride
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote