Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #46
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
Let's see, the old Merkel single was good for what? [ insert google search ] 3.5 hp.

The XT500 made a claimed 27hp (?).

Should be interesting.

Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with doing that. EX: That BMW in the background is getting a turbo Ford small block. That project is way out of control. Had to step away.

Rebuilder screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 09:07 PM
Rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #47
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,087
Great project!
I think you'll be more than pleased with the power you can get from the 500 Yamaha. It will likely cause the rider to back off far before it's done.

Here's a shot of the Flying Merkel that's in the Cannonball run, from the Maggie Valley stopover.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #48
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On to something I've always wanted to make.... a reverse clutch lever. I know the original Merkel didn't have one but mine is going to. I figure the throttle cable runs through the bars so the clutch cable should too.

I started with CNC routing the rough shape out of 1/2" aluminum.

And then went to work shaping it.

After doing a little testing I'm not sure I got the pivot point correct because it's pretty hard to pull. I'll change it later if I have to.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #49
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On to the tank. This is one of those parts that can make or break a good build. It's the most iconic part of the whole bike. Everyone will be looking at this thing....no pressure. The painter can fix it. Wait that's me.

Anyway, I picked up some pretty heavy gauge sheet metal (maybe 20 or gauge? can't recall). I was thinking it was too thick when I got it, but it turned out just right. Easy to weld, didn't warp, strong. Unfortunately, it was factory primed, not galvanized, but close. I didn't know it until the guy had it on the scale. I said I didn't want it because it cost more, he said he'd sell it for the lower price, turned out I ended up paying the higher price (realized on the way home). I wasn't happy. End of rant.

Once the frame was welded I simply traced the opening to some paper and transferred it to the steel. The marker width from edge to point gave me just the right gap around the outside (around 3/16"). Plasma cutter on and Voila... sides.

I had sheared some strips for the top, ends and bottom at work. I have a little break at home so I started bending it up.

The tank was actually pretty difficult to figure out. Not to make but to make sure I had everything welded in it before welding it shut. I wanted to weld the filler necks in from the inside so I got to work on them. One for Gas and one for Oil.

The bungs and caps came from... were else but Bung King... Really, look it up. Great site for the do it yourself-er.

Again, Voila they're done.

That's the oil tank section

Painter can fix it.

The bottom

Fits.

See that weld just above the highest point at the bottom of the tank? I put in a short divider that I hope will work as a little reserve. It'll fill when the tank is filled and the intent is there will still be some gas back there if I ever run out. I'll be running two petcocks.

Upper brackets. Notice how I like to punish myself by using flat head screws.

The bottom of the tank is held with pipe clamps from Mcmaster Carr. They have everything. These are nice stainless ones with rubber insulator bushings. Again flat head screws into welded in threaded blind bungs

Welds are ugly but they'll soon be ground down and made pretty. Once I get the motor in I'll put in the oil and fuel bungs and then I can pressure test it and epoxy seal it to make sure oil and gas don't mix.

40 more pics until I'm caught up. Bars and home-made leather seat still to come.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #50
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I was going to post that I have just replaced the fork seals on my IT 175, but I think I'll hold off now.....
Much props and admiration on this project.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #51
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
Your workmanship is awesome.

As for the motor, I was considering recasting the bottom end to get that lovely round shape, but after researching.... it was going to be a boatload of work. Getting any period motor is going to cost an absolute fortune... I remember looking at an old compressor I had kicking around and thinking.... it almost looks the part, maybe with a bunch of work..... Good luck.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 AM   #52
JLeather
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 291
I have a question about the gas tank welding. Your tacks looked to be MIG welded. Did you MIG weld the entire tank? A friend/welder who does a lot of custom bike work told me once that MIG welds are too porous for gastanks and that they well weep fuel if you don't use a sealant inside. He TIG's gastanks with silicon-bronze rod (basically TIG-Brazing). Just curious if you've run into similar issues, or if you plan on sealing it when you're finished?

Awesome looking build BTW.
JLeather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #53
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Your workmanship is awesome.

As for the motor, I was considering recasting the bottom end to get that lovely round shape, but after researching.... it was going to be a boatload of work. Getting any period motor is going to cost an absolute fortune... I remember looking at an old compressor I had kicking around and thinking.... it almost looks the part, maybe with a bunch of work..... Good luck.
Thank you.

A friend of mine is building a more bicycle scale motorbike and using what I think is a compressor motor or some sort of PTO motor. Really cool little single cylinder with the round case. Another guy built a Cyclone replica and used a Briggs V-Twin. That actually looks really cool. On the XT motor I know I'm going make my own stator cover and I may do something to the other side as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #54
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeather
I have a question about the gas tank welding. Your tacks looked to be MIG welded. Did you MIG weld the entire tank? A friend/welder who does a lot of custom bike work told me once that MIG welds are too porous for gastanks and that they well weep fuel if you don't use a sealant inside. He TIG's gastanks with silicon-bronze rod (basically TIG-Brazing). Just curious if you've run into similar issues, or if you plan on sealing it when you're finished?

Awesome looking build BTW.
I've done it this way before. It's not ideal but it works. I am going to epoxy the inside just to be safe though.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #55
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Sounds like a bunch of crusty old farts yelling at kids to get of trhe lawn !

This is the exact reason I'll never do another build thread !
We're praising him, and if he doesn't like it, he's free to tell us to bugger off.

But, you should keep doing build threads. I like your work.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #56
Juntura
Obsessive Lurker

Oddometer: 87
Don't know if this has been said, but SWEET Stroppe Bronco!

Fab work is inspiring.
Juntura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #57
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlseye
I was going to post that I have just replaced the fork seals on my IT 175, but I think I'll hold off now.....
Much props and admiration on this project.
I was thinking I acomplished something on my R100RS but don't dare post it here for the same reason!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #58
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntura
Don't know if this has been said, but SWEET Stroppe Bronco!

Fab work is inspiring.
Well, not too many people know that. Well done and thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #59
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,402
That's some skill there

What i'd give to have a decent shop, working out of a 8 x 10 shed has it's limitations
Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #60
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
That's some skill there

What i'd give to have a decent shop, working out of a 8 x 10 shed has it's limitations
"Ohhh, we used to dream of workin' out of a 8 x 10 shed! Woulda been a palace to us"

With apologies to the lads what wrote it

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote