Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #91
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
Any feedback on how these stand up to rough treatment ?

They just look a bit dodgey compared to the Pelican cases
You need to keep in mind 3 of these cases cost less than a single Pelican If you have the money to spend, go for Pelicans, I believe they have a lifetime warranty (I didn't want to spend $1000 on cases for a $2000 bike)

As a top case they're fine... As a side case the hinge area takes a beating in the bush, there's a lot of air bubbles in the plastic which seems to make it a bit weak...

Pics from page 3 of this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post

They held up quite well... They had a few impacts on the bottom which broke a couple of the corner hinge gussets, I had the cases mounted a bit low... If I was buying them again I'd probably fill the gap between the gussets with some silicon sealant or sikaflex to re-enforce and support the gussets a bit better...

The bike only went down once on a steep rocky hill, it slid backward a couple of feet down a rock ledge with the full bikes weight on the right case... the case handled it ok...

:)
BTW, because the frames I made don't support the lower rear of the cases I screwed a 9mm MDF back plate into them... (why 9mm? because that's what I had on hand, 6mm would be fine and lower the weight a bit)

First trip I had them mounted too low and it was my first time riding a loaded bike... I smacked the lower front and rear corners on rocks, banks, logs, you name it, and dropped the bike once... After that trip I super-glued the gussets back together and raised the cases a bit higher on the mounts....

Second trip was better, I clipped a log hiding in ferns at the edge of the track and broke a bit off one of the side latches (pic on page 5), it glued back on ok, that was the only new break...

As mentioned/pictured on page-5 I'm looking at adding some D-handles over the hinge gussets to try and protect them a bit, and I'll fill the gaps between the gussets with Sikaflex...

Some other odd pics:

I'm happy with them considering the price... Pelican 1550's occasionally appear on ebay but they still sell for about the same as 3 of these cheapies...

:)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #92
Tfos1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
"3 of these cases cost less than a single Pelican."

That may be so, but the bike sets the standard high. Anything less than the best is selling the bike short.
Tfos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #93
Silverbeard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfos1 View Post
That may be so, but the bike sets the standard high. Anything less than the best is selling the bike short.
Thanks for your feed back and images FLICKIT, but I think I agree with Tfos1 and will go for Pelican's.

I have some Pelican cases I bought in 2004 for my camera gear and they have taken a hiding over the years without a problem.

Funny thing the cases I bought in 04 are cheaper now than back then - Gotta love a strong Aussie dollar to pull the price down on imports
Silverbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #94
Harris1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Genuine pelican or not, if your going to use them as side cases and you go down you'll end up smashing them at some point. In which case they might as well be the cheapies.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Harris1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #95
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Six left

Now only six left for $65.00 each at Bunnings in Bathurst NSW
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #96
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post

For your help Cruz the underwood compton rd store is a 4 min drive from moss st .. so if in that area i would drop in
Heaps there still. Not in the usual toolbox area - an aisle special. Go past paint and turn right.
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #97
STVO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I noticed today that Bunnings Modbury in Adelaide, had a stack of the large cases for $65. They where in the foyer section just before you walk in... next to the stairs that lead down to the underground car park.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #98
LouisBiker
TR650

Oddometer: 128
TradeTools have some too

scroll to the bottom..

http://www.tradetools.com/Category/t...ous-tool-boxes
LouisBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #99
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Bunnings have some Kingchrome cases as well now in different sizes.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #100
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
I've seen this bike a few times now and Ive hung about for a chat but did'nt conect with the owner just not showing up. I would have liked a chat. the boxes are tough and still throw away if they give out. Thats i think not such an issue and still you get good value for your bucks.

In a time when some people piss them selves over the cost of plugs and then but beyond their means ...I think these boxes on this great bike atre money saved for more mile spents.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #101
Chubb1
Going going gone

Oddometer: 77
Super cheap auto

I was in super cheap the other day and saw some grey 33L eskys $59 ea. actually thought they would work quite well as panniers or even top box. They look well made, similar to the tropical brand in blue. If any one is interested.
Chubb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #102
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

A bit of an update on these cases... They're off the Dominator and on a Tenere now... Still going strong despite some decent punishment!

I screwed some cheap Bunnings handles across the hinges on the lower edge of the side cases to act as bumpers, and sikaflexed the hinge gussets to the handles, they've taken quite a few knocks and protected the hinges well:

They can take a decent impact without injury! (1min vid)

(clipped a stump with the left case which pushed me over)

If Bunnings ever have them again I'll grab some spares! GREAT value for money IMO
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #103
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Seems these cases are still available from Bunnings... My brother in law went into a Tassie Bunnings yesterday and got one, they told him they're a standard stock item, he got the last one they had but they said they'd have more in a couple of weeks..

Still $65

(old ad with stock item number)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #104
Tfos1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Jesus, Flickit! My thoughts are with you in this time of sad loss.

I'm choking back a salty little tear as I type this.

And as if the loss wouldn't have been devastating enough, you have the embarrassment of having to resort to a (sob) Tenere.

Ride on, Brother. Remember the Dominator with pride!

TF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
A bit of an update on these cases... They're off the Dominator and on a Tenere now... Still going strong despite some decent punishment!

I screwed some cheap Bunnings handles across the hinges on the lower edge of the side cases to act as bumpers, and sikaflexed the hinge gussets to the handles, they've taken quite a few knocks and protected the hinges well:

They can take a decent impact without injury! (1min vid)

(clipped a stump with the left case which pushed me over)

If Bunnings ever have them again I'll grab some spares! GREAT value for money IMO
Tfos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #105
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfos1 View Post
Jesus, Flickit! My thoughts are with you in this time of sad loss.

Remember the Dominator with pride!
TF
The Dominator hasn't gone anywhere, it's sitting in the shed, not sure I'll ever let it go... it will never be forgotten!

I got sick of constantly replacing bits on the 20yo Dominator... Jumped to the Tenere for the better fuel economy and decent size tank, I get close to double the range out of it...

The Tenere isn't a bad beast, a little tall and top heavy, but not too bad, getting use to it... it handles a decent load better than the Dominator, it actually rides better with 60kg hanging off the back

Things could be worse, I could have gone to a BMW (jk)