Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
rydnseek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Az, Usa. Easy loop Sedona, Williams, Jerome.

Easy day loop, Sedona, Williams, Jerome. 9/10/10

Kim had a neighbor drop by while he was out working on his bike.. 'Do you ever ride that thing?' He asked. So Kim invited Mark to join us on an easy loop to Williams then back through Jerome.

We met at the gas station in Sedona at ~ 9:30, then headed up Oak Creek Canyon to the dirt road to Williams. We just rode.. i didn't get any pics of the switchbacks, or the rougher dirt roads into Garland Prairie.. I finally stopped & took a picture on the easy gravel of Garland Prairie.

Mark & Kim were both riding KLX 250's. I was on the lonesome wr250x. No videos today, either.. just a few stills since it is along areas we had ridden before.

After we got out of Garland Prairie, we took a side road toward a small lake we had seen before.. thought we'd explore it a bit. We ran into a narrow path, but continued on until we came to a fence. We had to walk the rest of the way to the lake. It is a pretty lake.. & pretty remote.

We continued our way toward Williams, & Twisters.. one of the older 50's style eateries. Right before we crossed the railroad tracks, we saw them. White Buffalo. A sign. Times would change. A new era would begin.

We made it to lunch, our main purpose in riding. It was fairly pricey, but decent enough. Don't look for food pics on my reports! We eat like starved coyotes.. stop & take a picture & your food will disappear.

No gas stop.. we all have big tanks, now! We headed past the Williams reservoir & got on the old perkinsville road.. very rough, windy, & steep in spots. I had a few gps issues.. the contaption wanted to steer us back on the pavement.. got tired of the bumps, i guess. But i kept forcing it to go on the obscure roads, & eventually it agreed to take the old perkinsville road toward Jerome.

The bridge over the Verde River on Perkinsville road.

As we neared Jerome, we got along the side of the mountain.. a plume of smoke was visible in the distance.. a proscribed burn, Kim speculated.. he's a retired Fire Captain, so he should know these things.

Except for the haze from the smoke, it was a clear day. It was even a bit chilly in the pines, early. I don't think it got to 80* until we hit cottonwood.. very good riding weather.

Cottonwood to the left in the valley, Jerome & the copper mines to the right, on the mountainside.

We stopped & jawed a lot.. new rider to get to know.. swap lies, etc. Mark's turn signal vibrated off.. then his license plate. We found the turn signal early on before garland prairie, but the plate was lost in perkinsville. No other bike or health issues, so it was a good ride. I was home by 5 or 6. We did a little over 150 miles. I still have gas in my tank! ..like the new range of the ims. Now I have 3g on my phone & my gas tank.
scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
sled_rider
DESERT ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 113
Looked like fun
sled_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
rydnseek OP
Beastly Adventurer

You probably remember crossing that old bridge when we went up to the GC, Terry. We were going the other way, & we headed over to Drake, rather than up the old perkinsville road.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
[quote=rydnseek]Easy day loop, Sedona, Williams, Jerome. 9/10/10

Kim had a neighbor drop by while he was out working on his bike.. 'Do you ever ride that thing?' He asked. So Kim invited Mark to join us on an easy loop to Williams then back through Jerome.

We met at the gas station in Sedona at ~ 9:30, then headed up Oak Creek Canyon to the dirt road to Williams. We just rode.. i didn't get any pics of the switchbacks, or the rougher dirt roads into Garland Prairie.. I finally stopped & took a picture on the easy gravel of Garland Prairie.

Mark & Kim were both riding KLX 250's. I was on the lonesome wr250x. No videos today, either.. just a few stills since it is along areas we had ridden before.

After we got out of Garland Prairie, we took a side road toward a small lake we had seen before.. thought we'd explore it a bit. We ran into a narrow path, but continued on until we came to a fence. We had to walk the rest of the way to the lake. It is a pretty lake.. & pretty remote.

We continued our way toward Williams, & Twisters.. one of the older 50's style eateries. Right before we crossed the railroad tracks, we saw them. White Buffalo. A sign. Times would change. A new era would begin.

We made it to lunch, our main purpose in riding. It was fairly pricey, but decent enough. Don't look for food pics on my reports! We eat like starved coyotes.. stop & take a picture & your food will disappear.

No gas stop.. we all have big tanks, now! We headed past the Williams reservoir & got on the old perkinsville road.. very rough, windy, & steep in spots. I had a few gps issues.. the contaption wanted to steer us back on the pavement.. got tired of the bumps, i guess. But i kept forcing it to go on the obscure roads, & eventually it agreed to take the old perkinsville road toward Jerome.

The bridge over the Verde River on Perkinsville road.

As we neared Jerome, we got along the side of the mountain.. a plume of smoke was visible in the distance.. a proscribed burn, Kim speculated.. he's a retired Fire Captain, so he should know these things.

Except for the haze from the smoke, it was a clear day. It was even a bit chilly in the pines, early. I don't think it got to 80* until we hit cottonwood.. very good riding weather.

Cottonwood to the left in the valley, Jerome & the copper mines to the right, on the mountainside.

We stopped & jawed a lot.. new rider to get to know.

I hope Mark is at least 65 I'm tired of trying to keep up with these kids
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Prescott AZ

Im heading out to Prescott area this week, should arive Sunday. The wife and sister in law will be visiting my niece. I will be looking for roads to ride on the KLR 650. I cant wait.
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 811
Nice pics - One of my favorite places to ride during this time of the year.

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
There are a few prescribed burns going on in the Rim country and Cocanino right now. They been burning of alot of last years cuttings. Great seeing the F.S. taking care of the forest the way it should. Especially when you live in it.

Great ride report and pics. I need to get back over there soon now that it's cooling down.

by the way, where are those white buffalo at? what road were you on there? I need to go check that out. They are really cool looking.

Mil T
Old 09-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
rydnseek OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was on the main forest road to williams, pass garland prairie, but before you cross the tracks. I had seen 1 years ago, but to see a whole bunch was really cool. The white buffalo has a special significance to the plains indians.. i'm not sure with the Navajos.

Sorry Tom, Mark is just a kid at 58, but is a good rider and a nice guy. He's from bullhead city and still has a home there. Maybe this winter we'll head out that way and go riding with him and Tim.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,271
Sheepaloes

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
It was on the main forest road to williams, pass garland prairie, but before you cross the tracks. I had seen 1 years ago, but to see a whole bunch was really cool. The white buffalo has a special significance to the plains indians.. i'm not sure with the Navajos.

Sorry Tom, Mark is just a kid at 58, but is a good rider and a nice guy. He's from bullhead city and still has a home there. Maybe this winter we'll head out that way and go riding with him and Tim.
I think when I get back I will start checking some of the rest homes in Prescott, some of these guys need to get out & ride with us
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote