ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
tgeliot OP
Topher

Oddometer: 1,337
Route suggestions wanted Denver to Glenwood Springs

I will be working at the Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado trail restoration project at Hanging Lake (near Glenwood Springs) this weekend. I plan on leaving Denver Friday afternoon, camping somewhere, riding all day Saturday, and getting to Hanging Lake Saturday evening. I will be traveling alone on a fairly heavily loaded dual-sport, so I need to stay on roads that aren't too rough where there will be some other traffic in case I get in trouble. I am self-sufficient camping, so all I need is a level spot where I won't get run over :-) I can run 170 miles before hitting reserve.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a route and spot to camp for me?

Would anyone care to join me on this venture? Sunday will be a full day of heavy labor, but they feed you . . . I'll also add that VOC is the single most well-organized outfit I have ever seen, so your time will not be wasted.

Thanks
Topher
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,560
The long way would be to head up out of Morrison to Fairplay on 285 then you could go over Weston pass (only one rough section going down hill on the west side... a bit loose but nothing major) or is not weston head over Trout Creek pass in to BV then up to Hwy 82 over Indy Pass in to Aspen and then down into Glenwood. There is a pay camping spot 6 miles south of Carobondale at the base of Mt Sopris called the BRB campgrounds... or you could go find a place to pitch a ten up on W. Cottonwood Pass that runs between Gypsum and Carbondale... Lot of Cows grazing up there though.

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote