Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Today I need to get to Warm Lake and our typical departure is late, around 10:30a

Looking bright this morning

Getting Breakfast started

Yesterday we were talking about freeze dried food. Kelly said what ever you do, don't by the scrambled eggs and ham....yuck. This morning I pull out my "scambled eggs and ham" and everyone wants to see the look on my face when I take a bite.

I'm a little reluctant to post this video, but it's kinda funny...

After packing up we proceed down the road to Shoup passing by a nice little piece of farm land.

At the summit of Horse Creek Pass heading toward the Salmon River and Shoup. The road down the summit was pretty rutty with a lot of switchbacks, but in pretty good condition.

The far mountain range is on the other side of the Salmon.

A quick stop for a pic of the switchbacks further down the road. Unfortunately, the trees were too thick to get a better photo.

We hit pavement at the Salmon River junction to Darby, turned right and just a few miles to Shoup.

I guess I was expecting a small town but this was it....a cafe with gas and a few rental cabins. But what I learned inside was that Shoup was in fact a large town of around 3000 people!

Here is a photo of a photo that was on the wall inside. The road along the river was lined with shanties of miners. The bridge of course is no longer there, but you can still see the concrete abutments.

And here is photo of an old service station with hand pumps.

Inside we talk to the owner and it doesn't take us long to decide to have lunch here and some huckleberry ice cream.

Great burgers and Homemade Chili (with cheese and onions)

Huckleberry Ice Cream....yum, the best.

And Huckleberry shakes too!

You can even turn on the TV from inside the bathroom

Outside we fuel up with gas from the hand pumps. We've all seen pictures of these, but it was cool to actually see them in action. Mike, the owner, pumping fuel. A nice guy, but I had to wonder what he was like years ago. I would find out a bit more about him later.

Pump to the top, gravity flow to the tank. Mike let me hold the gas nozzle...silly I know.

Mike and Kathy were great and we really appreciated their hospitality. They just purchased the cafe last year after moving here from Missoula, Mt. I asked for a business card and their e-mail read shovelhd78@wildblue.net. So I asked Mike if he had a 1978 Harley Davidson in the back garage and he said "Sure do". It gives you an idea of a part of their life.

So we get suited up and ready to leave when we notice this in the back of Kelly's tire.

Kodanja screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 10:31 PM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Kelly did a great job patching the tire. We all helped with the little things like: hold the valve stem, get me the wrench, step on that side of the tire, do you have a file, how about an air compressor? Had one, but Mike the owner had a better one So after two hours having lunch, getting to know the owners, fixing a flat and waiting a bit for a passing thundershower, we get on down the road along the Salmon River.

After a few miles, we take Panther Creek Rd south to Challis.

With all my photo stops, the group was getting way ahead of me.

I come around a corner and the group is stopped in the road looking up the hillside at these...

Gary was in the lead and when he arrived here, the mountain sheep were in the middle of the road! Been seeing some nice wildlife this trip.

Closer to Challis there is some beautiful agricultural land

And nice rocky hillsides

Panther Creek Road turns into Morgan Creek Road as you near Challis and there is a spectacular canyon to run through.

We fueled up at Challis and I had to leave the group to get to Warm Lake. It was about 5:30pm and I wanted to make it there before dark. Gary, Kelly and Becky were headed out on the Custer Motor Way and to find a place to camp. So I'm on HWY93 ripping down the pavement to Stanley with a quick stop at Lower Stanley for a shot of the Sawtooth Mountains (in shadow this time of day)

After Stanley I take the Landmark-Stanley Road through Bear Valley. The evening light was playing nicely against the old burnt forest. This photo is shot looking back to the southwest. I was headed due east and the sun was right in my eyes....not good when you looking out for deer.

Just past Bear Valley the fire base camp was still here. Even though the fires are out, they still keep watch for any re-occuring hot spots.

The light was getting in the golden hour before sunset and made a nice capture of this lone horseman. I keep telling myself, "don't stop for anymore photos...you need to get to WL before dark!

The sun was below the mountains in this valley. I was hoping for a sunset shot of Warm Lake from the Landmark road, but I don't think I'm going to make it. Geez, I just had to waste time getting this photo.

The headlight was starting to shine on the road and my instrument cluster lit up. I still had about 20 miles to go. The road is in great condition and with some long straight stretches, so I pump it up to 55mph.

But as I came over the summit and down the highway I was met with the sun just setting as it cast it's orange glow on the clouds. I had only a minute to quickly pull over, take off helmet, get camera, get ND filter. I snapped off two quick shots and the readout said, "Disk Full." Aaagh! Grab another memory card, take out full card, insert empty card, start shooting.

What a great ending to the day....and the trip! It was dark by the time I got to Warm Lake, about 8:30p after traveling about 260 miles. As I pulled up, the steaks had just been placed on the grille! No freeze-dried scrambled eggs and bacon tonight. I still can't get the trip out of my head. The end.

Kodanja screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 08:07 AM
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #18
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,045
That sunset picture is fantastic. The others are good too, but the sunset really stands out.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher
That sunset picture is fantastic. The others are good too, but the sunset really stands out.
Agreed. Great pictures.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,552
Nice trip.
My daughter and I did almost the reverse in early July. I think you need to do these trips in both direction to see all the sights.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,798
Your shots are top notch

Didn't realize that switchbacky road up to Grangeville was open for traffic - NICE

Came through there from Darby (WestFest) and it was 105 degrees in Grangeville this summer.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Great photos of fantastic views. Looks like a really good time. Thanks for the write-up.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #23
Ranger159
That'll Do DONKEY!

Oddometer: 348
Thumb Nice RR

Well done, now I have another trip to plan.........
Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #24
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
2 1/2 years later and I gotta thank you for this ride report. I know where I am going this fall, as long as the forest fires are more tame this year.

Thanks again, awesome report!
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Trip was a while back, but this was terrific!

Great area, great pics, great write-up! Thanks!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Solarbronco & RedRockRider. Glad you enjoyed the report. Your reply reminded me of that trip and I yearn for more!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 237
Beautiful scenery like that and the only video you took was your buddy eating those eggs?
You should be ashamed of yourself!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote