Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
S2W OP
I said wax ON you idiot!

Oddometer: 3,351
S2W's Last Ride Report

Part 1: Preamble

This Ride Report is a strange one to write. Without a doubt it will be my last. At least the last one I’ll write concerning a trip I take on a motorcycle. More and more evidence and information is coming to light that makes it obvious that my injury is not just a simple fracture that will heal as strong as before. (more about that later)

The trip began like they all do. What seems like a good idea begins to grow and take on a life of it’s own. This one started life in Melbourne back in mid-winter. In Shmerel’s lounge room to be exact. Clancy was there. Together with my wife Rosalie, and Gad’s other half Michale. I’d been on a serious downer for some months prior to this little get-together. Somehow it was decided that it would be “good for me” to join the Border run to Top Hut and Pooncarrie. I sort of shuffled my feet, and mumbled a few grunts then took a look at Rosalie. She nodded and said “I think you should go” With that it was decided. Before too long it was settled that I would ride to Melbourne from my home in Nambucca Heads in Northern NSW. There I would meet the crew, and we’d all ride out to the end of year meeting together.

Little did I know at the time but that simple, seemingly innocuous discussion set in motion an amazing number of events and variables that would irrevocably change my life. The direct consequences of which have not yet ceased, even as I sit here writing this report nearly six months later. It was ironic that the plan was hatched in a Melbourne living room. Ironic because as it turned out, my trip would virtually end in a hospital bed less than 10 kilometers away from that original location. Although not for several months, and after having travelled over 2000 kilometers on all sorts of roads. Funnily enough that 2000 kilometers was only a small fraction of the total I originally planned to cover during this one particular journey.

As I've often said before, road trips always take on a life of their own. Well, mine always have. This one was no exception. Before too long a theme had developed. I’m a big believer that a trip has to have a theme. Wandering around aimlessly has it’s attraction. But a good theme gives the whole thing a purpose, gives it a goal. I soon decided I would use this trip to circumnavigate NSW. The idea was to touch the border at, or as close to each corner as possible. I didn’t know it at the time but later on the trip would take on another purpose. That being a part of the AdvRider Relay. I’d been nominated by MedicMick to carry Pooey the stuffed Ostrich around NSW. As it later worked out, I was doing so with the aim of contacting as many regional media outlets as possible. This in an effort to fund raise for the RFDS (another irony as it turned out). At the end of all this frantic activity I was then expected to get the bird back to the NSW Mid-North Coast. From where it could continue it’s travels with additional AdvRiders. I set aside three weeks to accomplish all these tasks.

So what had started as a simple ride to meet a few mates. Then became another ride to meet even more mates. Then ride home, the long way. Somehow it evolved into this multi-tasked epic. It didn’t end there though. With three weeks away it soon became apparent the only way i could afford to do this trip would be to stay out of Pubs, Motels, Fast-Food joints and other places that thrive on emptying the pockets of the long distance motorcyclist. That meant a tent every night, self prepared camp-food for each and every breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also decided to utilise free, or at least cheap campsites as much as possible.

My previous record of total self-sufficiency on the road was about 5 days, and even that was done by eating out a fair bit. I soon decided I was going to have to toughen up to get through this trip. Before too long I squared my shoulders manfully and decided it was indeed possible. To celebrate I officially named the journey the 08 S2W HTFU State Tour. Or just plain, The Harden the Fuck Up.

As the months rolled by my preparations proceeded more or less on schedule. I ordered and fitted a set of Aluminum H&B panniers. I’d always wanted a set of good lockable boxes. I’d though long and hard about all the options, and finally settled on the H&B’s. It was a big day when they arrived. It was an even bigger event when I finished fitting them. My 1100 GS never looked more like a hard-core traveling machine. Especially when I fitted the Touratech Centre bag, Tank-Bag, Cargo-rack extender and Continental TKC enduro Tyre to the front wheel. It took me days to cease stopping and staring at the bike when ever I found myself in it’s vicinity. I kept dreaming of the places and the roads I was about to see and explore.

In the final weeks I undertook two “ride to empty test runs” to determine my effective fuel range. I drilled out my fuel filler to increase my carrying capacity. I fabricated and fitted a tool roll out of PVC pipe with brackets I created myself. New brake pads were fitted. Every nut, bolt and fastener was checked, torqued and locktited. The electrics were checked, The Alternator belt was checked for correct tension and serviceability. A new air-cleaner was fitted and all oils, fluids and filters were changed. All the necessary spares were distributed around the bike. As far as I was concerned nothing was left to chance. The last two days prior to departure I spent repeatedly packing and unpacking the bike. Items were discarded. Bits and pieces were loaded in better locations. before long I felt I had everything down to the bare minimum and the bike felt balanced and manageable

Everything was ready. There was nothing left to do. Not a thing was left undone. Before I knew it, I was due to be on the road early the next morning.

S2W’s Last ride was about to roll!

Ready to Roll

S2W screwed with this post 12-07-2008 at 03:22 PM
S2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
I love a sad story.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
gees...is part 2 coming soon...i've gotta go out in a minute and i dont handle suspense well at all
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,599
"This one started life in Melbourne back in mid-winter. In Shmerel’s lounge room to be exact."

See, it's the company you keep. Stay away from lawyers.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,846
Fark, you guy's make me laugh..........

I want youse all at my funeral.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
kano650
more cowbell

Oddometer: 215
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
ADV-Wes
I'm not lost....yet.

Oddometer: 176
Righto Steve, lets hear it...

Project '97 XR250R
ADV-Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
S2W OP
I said wax ON you idiot!

Oddometer: 3,351
I'm going to stretch this one out. It's my big finale after all. You are going to get my best work here guys.

I liked the old afternoon serials too. Jet jackson, Batman all the old style stuff. Sit back and enjoy. This is going to be maximum style and verbosity!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
hey champ, all good rides end with great story, this is looking like a brilliant read

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,981
Thumb

waiting,reads well so far.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Come on stevie bring it on.
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #12
HamoAus
Springfield Lakes

Oddometer: 599
you...you had me at hello.

Gonna be a good read Stevie.

Cheers
HamoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
Siva
Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer: 682
"S2W HTFU State Tour"

.... i sense a new beginning... of some sort...not sure what da fark....but ......soooooomething..........:freak y
Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,835

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #15
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,763
On ya Stevie