Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,739
Unholy Union after an unholy connection with a truck?

SUBTITLE: DR-Z400 into G/S because I'm an Idiot.
Yeah... this just happened.

Well it didn't just happen. Stop and go traffic and I didn't stop. (And anyone ready to tell me I'm an idiot... yes I'm aware. I've now got the plastic bits and a broken bike as evidence to prove it) Connected pretty good with the bumper of a truck in front of me. The slipstream and headlight shroud were already cracked and headed to failure. The impact just helped that along.
As you can see the top triple is history. I rode it very gingerly home using the rear brake (sort the physics out of what happens with that triple gone and the front brake applied).
Home safe. Side a bit sore, no physical damage to me or the Roadcrafter. Pride and ego are somewhere in the toilet.
Okay. I've been on the fence for a while about the DRZ front end. Looks like I've got a reason to "go there" now and there's a guy with a 2002 E model bits local. He's got Handle bars to rim ready to go to me....
So... Questions abound.
First and foremost: Would this much impact likely affect the frame/head area of the bike?
I've been reading up on the conversion in the "Unholy Unions" and believe that the 2002 E model has the good stuff that I'd want. Anything you'd recommend collecting from the donor? (besides Triples, Forks, Caliper, Brake disc, Brake caliper?)
Anyway to check out these Bits (that aren't obvious) for worthyness to hold onto? I'll mount that triple in my Helmet and Suit locker at work as a reminder.
Feel free to address your answers the "dumbarse".
I took a bunch of pictures hoping to show the damage, but the lens on the X100 has a bit of bend on occasion.
Barley therapy has commenced.

elmontanero screwed with this post 10-22-2014 at 11:07 PM
elmontanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,173
Offff....shit. Glad you're alright! I'm in the car looking at the pics on a tiny screen so I can't specifically comment on anything. I handled a GS frame that met a similar fate and you could see the wrinkle in the paint along the steering neck braces and the bend. I took it to a frame guy and. 700 bucks later all was well.

Any paint weirdness around the neck?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I'm not sure, but you might want to look closely at those 2002 forks, but forks 2003-on will have all the adjustments.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

I'm not seeing paint issues right now. But my frame of mind is not the greatest right now, A cup of coffee in the morning and a trip down to the bike (I park in an underground parking spot a building away) will probably be best to judge.

Thanks Hardwaregrrl for asking/pointing me to that.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoje View Post
I'm not sure, but you might want to look closely at those 2002 forks, but forks 2003-on will have all the adjustments.
I'd read "The fork change took place after 2001 model year, that is, 2002 and beyond have the better and highly adjustable fork." "From 2002 on, all DRZ400's have the fully adjustable forks." but that was on the interwebs... so...... Can you tell me/ (or better still) show me what I ought to be looking for in adjustments?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,107
Good to hear it was bruises & not anything worse.

The thing about the weaker G/S front end is that it tends to bend before the frame does. You may have got away with it. Check the frame braces from the headstock with a straight edge. Also look at the frame backbone. I've photos of a bent frame (in my garage) if you need to check what it looks like...

Don't straighten the fork tubes if they've bent at the triples. They would straighten, but will be a 'concern' (ie weaker & more prone to fracturing) after that. The stantions (tubes) are common across a few models, & wouldn't be too much of an issue to replace. I gather the wheel is still basically true?

Go ahead with the DRZ conversion if you want to, but be aware you really need to swap out the triple clamps to retain geometry & turning circle.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Good to hear it was bruises & not anything worse.

The thing about the weaker G/S front end is that it tends to bend before the frame does. You may have got away with it. Check the frame braces from the headstock with a straight edge. Also look at the frame backbone. I've photos of a bent frame (in my garage) if you need to check what it looks like...

Don't straighten the fork tubes if they've bent at the triples. They would straighten, but will be a 'concern' (ie weaker & more prone to fracturing) after that. The stantions (tubes) are common across a few models, & wouldn't be too much of an issue to replace. I gather the wheel is still basically true?

Go ahead with the DRZ conversion if you want to, but be aware you really need to swap out the triple clamps to retain geometry & turning circle.
This is some of my own thoughts reflected. (a good thing as I'm better about hearing it from someone else) I'm considering doing the DRZ with the DRZ triples - then making the change over when I'm annoyed at the geometry and turning -but at least the bike will be back on the road. I was really considering the DRZ-SM as a conversion... but the front I'm hoping to get is coming at a meager price and in good nick. I don't mind paying for great - but right now Better is enough. Might change all my thoughts in the morning. I'll pull out the bits and get a straight edge on the frame braces in the morning. The wheel turned true but (as mentioned earlier) I'm still rattled and can't see things exactly how they are right now. (head screams "you idiot", "not that bad", "terrible" in alternating fashion. Beer is calming but I'll sleep like crap tonight for sure.)
I'm not for trashing the front with the DRZ conversion - it'll be shelved for a while. In all honesty, I've needed a fresh Brake rotor and at least a timing chain on the bike. So it's been headed to "work on" mode. I have two bikes and that's it. No Car. So I've been doing the maintenance upkeep on the other bike knowing it's time for this one to get some work. (that timing cover is smashed in a bit if you check the pic)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,107
You can run the timing cover like that for a bit (DAMHIK). It's vented anyway, & all it does is keeps the crap off the alternator. Splooge it up with silicon if you're concerned.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmontanero View Post
I'd read "The fork change took place after 2001 model year, that is, 2002 and beyond have the better and highly adjustable fork." "From 2002 on, all DRZ400's have the fully adjustable forks." but that was on the interwebs... so...... Can you tell me/ (or better still) show me what I ought to be looking for in adjustments?
I was just passing on my very limited knowledge of DRZ forks. But now Googling this further, it appears the 2002-on "S" model forks are the ones with a rebound adjustment screws on the top cap, and a compression adjustment screw on the slider. Adding to the confusion, the 2000-2001 "E" models also used these forks, and then they became standard on the "S" in 2002.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 683
Montanero, don't beat yourself up over this. Everyone here has gotten away with doing stupid shit on their bikes at one time or another. And sometimes we have lapses. It's called being human, Bubba.

And most importantly: you walked away from it.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Montanero, don't beat yourself up over this. Everyone here has gotten away with doing stupid shit on their bikes at one time or another. And sometimes we have lapses. It's called being human, Bubba.
And most importantly: you walked away from it.
Thanks for those folks that have relayed this here and in a PM. Ache in the side, left thumb is tender. Yeah, didn't sleep all that well last night, up early this morning and thinking. Had a PM about frame check/alignment and of course that has me worried/wondering about it.

The Bang of it is I've been happy with the bike as a stock/sometimes R100gs tanked/subframed with panniers. Recently went back to the stock configuration and I've been considering the DRZ's. Honestly, I do so little Off Road on this bike that the Forks were fine for buzzing around San Diego and last years tour up through the Sierras to Washington.

Got a text that I missed last night offering me the 2002 DRZ E forks, Front wheel and rotor, Triples, bars and Master cylinder for $200 locally. Seems like I may be in for a penny, in for a pound. (this bike's had the Final Drive and transmission done, Engine work from the big end out redone, heads etc) Airheads are a cheap start, but it's gotten pricey in the years I've had it.

There's half of me wanting to tear it down and throw money at it. Half says get it back on the road whole as it need be and ride it.

elmontanero screwed with this post 08-30-2014 at 08:14 AM
elmontanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
zombie
lost in space

Oddometer: 216
Laugh

Hey Kendall
That sucks lad
Don't beat yourself up about the bike. it's just a bike and you should fix
It up and sell it and buy my multi
Seriously really glad your okay and I'll call ya later
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #13
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,173
Ok, looking at everything it looks like the frame may not have suffered. But the front fender touching the alt cover makes me a bit nervous. But I realize that the forks are garbage and the top clamp in snapped, so that could be enough to give the appearance the head is bent. here's a decent write up on checking things with a straight edge. Take the tank off and snap some more pics of the head. How's your body/mind today???

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/P...s/DSCF0193.JPG

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/P...s/DSCF0190.JPG
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Thanks Zombie and Hardwaregrrl,
I'm fine. Soreness is just an inconvenience bodily. Still cussing myself a bit.
I went from a three bike guy to a two bike guy at the start of the summer with the thought of maybe getting a truck again. Now looking in earnest at that truck. I don't mind being bike only, but always was a two bike. Now with one down the truck is priority - and would come in handy today as I go to get those forks/wheel from a DRZ.

I'm on breakfast duty for the lovely girl in my life… then I'll go down to the bike with the intent of sorting it out too.

Hopefully I'm lucky and between the noodle forks and the weak triple they took the damage. (odd to want damage to these) But if need be I'll strip the thing and send it off to be checked. But at that point I'll be thinking of how I'd want it to be rather than the stock bike that I've enjoyed. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,788
glad you survived without going to the hospital .. the bike can always be fixed and/or replaced.

didn't someone just announce a custom triple tree specifically for G/S or ST with DRZ front end? angles are all spot on with correct attachment points for OEM bolt-ons.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote