Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
This thread made me think, maybe since I have a R60 and a R100RS, I should take off the right cover off both and swap them.....a peanut cover on the right side of the R100RS, standard on left, oppisite of same on R60!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
This thread made me think, maybe since I have a R60 and a R100RS, I should take off the right cover off both and swap them.....a peanut cover on the right side of the R100RS, standard on left, oppisite of same on R60!
Do it! Show your creative side!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr

TRY a BMW dealer.
They are still available although not cheap. BUT they are much better quality than the repro units being sold all over the world.
The repros are manufactured in China and are a little less robust than the factory "peanut" covers.
An easy way to tell if they are factory or not, the repros do not have the small roundel cast into the inside like the factory ones do.
As far as the interchangeability is concerned, think of it this way, they all share the same gasket. That is a give away right there. I've even put a pair of the 70-76 covers on a /2 (used a longer center stud) and it looked like a R50S!
Actually that is where they took the design from. The R50S had one of a kind valve covers. They were a little shallower with one less cooling fin, but looked liked the later /5 /6 covers.
Late 1976 (77 model year) introduced the squarish valve covers in plain and then Black. They are actually different from left to right which is why they are marked links und rechts accordingly.
The angle of the fins are off kilter to match the offset of the fins on the heads. They will work on either side but look a little odd when put on wrong.
Yes they are thicker and stronger and also quieter.

Robert

I've had good luck with the repros (peanut)I've gotten from Siebenrock. They are actually very nicely made. I'll have to ask Siebenrock if they are made in China. Considering they are very nearly 1/2 the price of the BMW ones I think they are a outstanding value, ($60 versus $112 @ price). I also hate to contradict Robert , but you so seldom get a chance. Where are they less robust? I haven't found that to be true and I weighed Original BMW covers and the Siebenrock repro and the repros were just short of 3 oz. heavier. Definitely more metal in them.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,160
i just received a pair of the seibenrock peanut valve covers for my rs.timing is everything,as i just ground down one of the originals !!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,561
Here ya go: monoshock with peanuts!

Not only peanuts, but using an "old style" air cleaner cover with the round air cleaner inside. I DO like the retro look....
Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm

Not only peanuts, but using an "old style" air cleaner cover with the round air cleaner inside. I DO like the retro look....
Trade ya my cool retro smooth 1974 R90 trans for that ugly ribbed one you have!
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom
The other clue regarding interchangeability is that the later R100R/Mystic came from the factory with peanut covers.
Bingo. I believe that the 1995 GS Classic also came with the peanut covers. And possibly the early 90s R100R?

Yes, they are interchangeable.

As for durability, I can't say anything about the Chinese covers but I've seen both the peanut and /7 covers wear through in a slide on pavement. If gthe Chinese covers are less durable then it's just a matter of sliding distance before they wear through relative to the others. Either way, you've got to turn them upside down.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
I would love to have a hat that looked like a peanut cover! That would be brilliant! HMMM< maybe hit on a marketing jewel here!
That would make you a real airhead.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #24
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
I've had good luck with the repros (peanut)I've gotten from Siebenrock. They are actually very nicely made. I'll have to ask Siebenrock if they are made in China. Considering they are very nearly 1/2 the price of the BMW ones I think they are a outstanding value, ($60 versus $112 @ price). I also hate to contradict Robert , but you so seldom get a chance. Where are they less robust? I haven't found that to be true and I weighed Original BMW covers and the Siebenrock repro and the repros were just short of 3 oz. heavier. Definitely more metal in them.
JT, I love ya man, but let me explain a few things to the listenning audience.
Way back in my days with Bobs BMW, I was the guy that did all the importing from Siebenrock, Jeckel, Ulis, to name JUST the German compamies.
Once upon a shipment of the valve covers, They all arrived in boxes with Chinese writing under the flaps.
I asked the Siebenrock contact about this and If I remember correctly, was given the the typical haughty German silent treatment then complete denial. As if i had insulted him! ( I'm German and Dutch, I can say this shit) ( Plus I'm retired now and don't give a rats ass anymore) OY such a book i could write!
ANYWAY,
Back in those days, 1998ish, we were the only game in town for alot of this shit, and Bob Henig led the way for most of the current importers.
As far as the cheap valve covers were concerned, in those days they were lighter and they were supplied with "6" mm studs that were no way near 6mm.
we had to exchange all the supplied studs with BMW factory studs when I discovered this after a customer complained when he stripped out the threads in the covers. Typical Chinese fasteners, undersized.
Just sayin' things morph and change because of companies like Bobs BMW and his staffers (like me) who beat these guys up to offer a better product.
Why do you think I started WireWerkes?
Because the harnesses we were importing through Ulis and Theofried Jaeckel etc were absolute CRAP.
I found this out after attempting to install one on my 64 R60/2

tata for now

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,090

BONEHEAD?

Maybe we could start a new club...

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:

Some say that they flow more better than the flat aircleaner.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker
BONEHEAD?

Maybe we could start a new club...
Excuse me?

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #28
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
I have a set of repros on my GS and they broke falling off the sidestand.

There is more to strength than just thickeness, but they are thin where it counts.

Alloy type and temper counts for a lot too. The repros dont polish up like OEM and discolour easily, so they are likley a different alloy.

Mine are the type with through bolts in place of studs, cant remember where I bought them, might have been Boxxerparts.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #29
LotaBikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Like you, I like the older style covers also and put them on my '78 R100/7. As you now know, the fit fine and IMHO do look better than the square ones. I have seen them recently on craigslist also.
LotaBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #30
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:

Immeasurably prettier. Nice work.