User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,208
Bolivia: Uyuni - Laguna Verde, exit question

I am wondering if any of you know if I have to check myself and bike out of Bolivia in Uyuni, or am I able to do all of this closer to the border with Chile, like around Laguna Colorado or Laguna Verde?

I have heard various things from, "you must check out in Uyuni" to "there is a Bolivia migracion and aduana near Laguna Verde," or "there is only migracion near Laguna Verde, no aduana."

Anyone do this route recently that knows the drill? If not I'm inclined just to say fck it, and deal with the problems as they come.

Gracias.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 06:35 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
They told me I had to check out in Uyuni. I did so and it was ridiculously simple, so why not?

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,051
All I know is, everything in Chile is BY THE BOOK, as opposed to the rest of the countries I was in, where it was BUY THE BOOK.

You are going to fucking LOVE Chile and Argentina. Remember to look up Giselle, in Rio Cuarto.

bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf
They told me I had to check out in Uyuni. I did so and it was ridiculously simple, so why not?

Mark
Thanks. I didnt know for sure if it was possible, as I'm not in Uyuni yet. How many days do they give you to exit the country once they process your paperwork?

I figured I would need at least three, maybe four days to do the area justice before crossing to
San Pedro de Atacama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
All I know is, everything in Chile is BY THE BOOK, as opposed to the rest of the countries I was in, where it was BUY THE BOOK.

You are going to fucking LOVE Chile and Argentina. Remember to look up Giselle, in Rio Cuarto.

So I hear. So I guess that I shouldnt perform any of my usual shenanigans? I'm afraid that I will get arrested for my riding style. Its going to be tough after a year of combat motorcycling, but I will try to adjust. As for Giselle, thats sounds mighty fine to me right now.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 06:48 AM
Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Thanks. I didnt know for sure if it was possible, as I'm not in Uyuni yet. How many days do they give you to exit the country once they process your paperwork?

I figured I would need at least three, maybe four days to do the area justice before crossing to
San Pedro de Atacama.

So I hear. So I guess that I shouldnt perform any of my usual shenanigans? I'm afraid that I will get arrested for my riding style. Its going to be tough after a year of combat motorcycling, but I will try to adjust. As for Giselle, thats sounds mighty fine to me right now.
Even Gato Gato got pulled over by Chilean Gestapo. I think he has a helmet cam video of it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,939
Do they have radar in Chile?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Well, if you are planning to take "that road" from Uyuni to SP de Atacama through the lagunas you might need a couple of days before crossing the border.
Riders say that the views of Laguna Verde and Laguna Colorada are worth the effort.
Take pics, please !

Quote:

San Pedro de Atacama.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Yeap !!!! They sure do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Do they have radar in Chile?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciosiq
Yeap !!!! They sure do.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
The great distances between towns in the Atacama weren't heavily patrolled. It's tempting to go 100 mph (and I did, from San Pedro de Atacama to Jama). With by pig, fuel consumption goes way up if I'm going way fast. I didn't want to risk running out of fuel, way out in the Atacama.

(says I, while sitting in the dining room while my dad takes a nap, with the steady hum of the oxygen machine trying to get me to take a nap)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciosiq
Well, if you are planning to take "that road" from Uyuni to SP de Atacama through the lagunas you might need a couple of days before crossing the border.
Riders say that the views of Laguna Verde and Laguna Colorada are worth the effort.
Take pics, please !
I just spooned on some fresh knobbies today in Sucre. Going to be hard to leave this place for sure.

I just rigged up 3 gallons of water, and 2 extra gallons of gas on the bike. I also grabbed a -20 sleeping bag in La Paz, and made a couple of beer can stoves so I can cook as well. So, I am planning on spending some time along that route.

Anwyay, a local showed me a dirt two track most of the way to Potosi, so I will take that. Then another small road/two track instead of the main dirt road to Uyuni.

I will spend a night on a small island on the salar, then head south across the salar to pick up the Laguna Colorado and Verde route.

So I figure after leaving Uyuni, given the areas I want to explore, it will take me 4 days to get to SP de A, or maybe 5. I'll just have to see what the migracion and customs does to me in Uyuni. If they will only give me three days I might try my luck with a supposed migracion/aduana at a mining site near Laguna Colorado.

I'm not trying to set any iron butt records here, so I am just simply moving slowly, exploring and I want to see a lot of stuff.

Lucio, did you not do this route last month? I thought you were planning a Bolivia trip ont he XT's?

crashmaster screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 09:17 AM
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
I just spooned on some fresh knobbies today in Sucre. Going to be hard to leave this place for sure.

I just rigged up 3 gallons of water, and 2 extra gallons of gas on the bike. I also grabbed a -20 sleeping bag in La Paz, and made a couple of beer can stoves so I can cook as well. So, I am planning on spending some time along that route.

Anwyay, a local showed me a dirt two track most of the way to Potosi, so I will take that. Then another small road/two track instead of the main dirt road to Uyuni.

I will spend a night on a small island on the salar, then head south across the salar to pick up the Colordo, Verde route. Then after Verde I will head back north to the Valle de Dali.

So I figure leaving Uyuni, give the areas I want to explore, it will take me 4 days to get to SP de A, or maybe 5.

I'm not trying to set any records here, I am just simply exploring and want to see a lot of stuff.
There are good internet cafes in San Pedro de Atacama. Are you saying we can expect some good photos on... (counting wednesday thursday friday saturday night or sunday? Ugh! I can't wait that long. Figure out a way to get us daily updates or I'll go fucking crazy.) (posted from home, after spending the day with my dad and helping two nurses help him)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Well Max, I'm not sure when I will leave Sucre. I'm still waiting on a package that has been held up in customs in Santa Cruz. Should be here in a couple of days. If not, I will fly to Santa Cruz and get it.

Its a new HD helmet cam.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
dunkee
life is elsewhere

Oddometer: 19
i crossed at Apacheta Hito Cajónes less than 2 years ago. gps coordinates (and probably tracks) are available on horizonsunlimited. chilean immigration and customs are just outside san pedro de atacama. there are a couple outposts and landmarks, but mostly you'll find wide fields of pea-sized gravel and incredible landscapes.

i'm living in buenos aires at the moment, and planning to continue down to patagonia in october or november. i'll send you my contact info

shiny side up!

more photos...
dunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Heh heh. I was in La Paz with a group that was waiting for a package which was supposed to be in customs. They ended up traipsing all over the country chasing after its rumored whereabouts....for at least a week, maybe weeks. I took off for Chile.

Good luck!

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote