User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #31
gongnomore
Tetley

Oddometer: 16
Thumb

Good pictures, shame we didn't get one of your "marble road". Keep plugging on, looks like a great adventure and watch out for those Canadians ey!
gongnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #32
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,569
Enjoy the Hotel and your beer then come back and tell us the rest of the story.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #33
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
Enjoy the Hotel and your beer then come back and tell us the rest of the story.
Oh I did, both last night and on the trip.

It was a little funny as I'd been camping out for a few days with each night getting colder. On the night before I got to Goose Bay, it was really cold. Like, put on all your clothes, crawl into you sleeping bag and curl up into a ball cold. At Goose Bay, I was in the hotel bar when a couple walked up and asked if I was on the 1150 GS outside Turns out they were riding a 650 GS and a 990 KTM and had decided to spend the night in the hotel to warm up and dry tents/bags too.

Anyway, we spent a few hours talking about the ride to Goose Bay, seeing wolves on the road, avoiding all the mining trucks, etc. In the morning we had breakfast together and then they went off to find gas before heading out on the next long stretch of highway. I didn't see them again so I hope they made the distance without running out of gas.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongnomore
Good pictures, shame we didn't get one of your "marble road". Keep plugging on, looks like a great adventure and watch out for those Canadians ey!
I need to see if I can find a marble road picture But, there's a rider heading down that way now so I'm going to see if he can stop and take a closer look. The problem I had was, if you stopped, you and/or your bike may have been blown over.

Moto-Treks
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
moto-treks OP
Back Home

On to Newfoundland

Sleeping in a warm room has its rewards. You can get up in the middle of the night without freezing as well as wake up in the morning and lay around thinking of the last few days and what you've seen. But, at some point you need to start packing. I wasn't sure how far I would ride today. I knew I had 400 km of new gravel and then I needed to get to Port Hope Simpson for fuel.

The Beast has a 41 liter tank so, if full, I can make over 650 km. The problem is if I fill the tank I've got about 70 lbs of fuel. I'm always trying to decide how much fuel I should carry for a given road. In this case, I put in enough to insure I could get to Port Hope Simpson, but I didn't fill it up.

The 400 km of new gravel hwy wasn't too bad. A little soft in places and in other sections a road grader has been through, so the road would be real soft. But, for the most part it was like this

About 45 minutes into the ride the clouds started dropping and then it started to drizzle.

It wasn't too much longer and I had finished the first 400 km and was at the intersection of hwy 510.

If you don't have the range, then you can ride to Cartwright for gas. But, that's heading north, and you need to head south to Port Hope Simpson.

It wasn't long after the intersection that it start raining. It wasn't a downpour, but it was constant rain and before I knew it, I was riding in about 3 inches of mud. I first realized how deep the mud was when I was about 25 km from Port Fort Simpson an applied a little front brake, which almost dropped the Beast. At Port Fort Simpson I seriously though about stopping for the day (it was around 1 pm) but decided to push on to the next town.

The road, while muddy in places was much better, scenery wise, then the earlier part of the trip

But it continued to rain and I continued to push to the "next town" down the road. About 6 PM I decided I'd stop at Red Bay for the night.

But, at Red Bay the road was paved so I continued to Blanc Sablon and my ferry

In a little over an hour it left for Newfoundland, so I had time to grab a bite to eat and start drying my riding gear before boarding. 650 km of gravel road wasn't too bad for a days ride!

Moto-Treks
Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #37
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
I wanna see more, I'm liking what I see

I'm planning on doing a trip to Labrador next year then east and south just like you into Nova Scotia
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #38
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks
1) Pack bike
2) Point in desired direction
3) Twist right hand

that is a great quote

sailer screwed with this post 11-27-2010 at 06:48 PM
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #39
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05
I wanna see more, I'm liking what I see

I'm planning on doing a trip to Labrador next year then east and south just like you into Nova Scotia
It's a fun trip. I would have liked to spend more time in Newfoundland (Which I'll write about next on on my RR). If you're camping out, be sure to think about what to do in the tent when the black flies arrive

Moto-Treks
Old 12-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Newfoundland

The weather had turned from rain to wind as I waited for the ferry to arrive. Watching the caption dock the ferry in high winds was amazing. He made it look like this was an everyday thing – guess it probably is.

About halfway through the ferry crossing my damp riding gear starting to feel dry. As luck would have it, this is also when it started raining. But, it was not just rain, it was hard rain with strong winds. Oh yeah, I just love this stuff – it reminded me of the hour or two I waited for a ferry in Terra del Fuego, Argentina – same stuff, rain and wind.

Luckily, there was a hotel just a block or two from the terminal in St Barbe. Pulling up to the hotel, my heart sank as I saw the line of people trying to book a room. I had heard that other hotels are in the area, but the last thing I wanted was to spend the night, in the rain and wind, looking for a hotel room or putting up a tent. I got the last room in the place! I felt a little sorry for the five people standing behind me but they had cars so I didn't feel that bad.

The rain and wind stopped in the early morning. I decided to have a nice breakfast before heading out to L'Anse aux Meadows – Leif Ericson's home away from home.

L'Anse aux Meadows

Original Workshop Site

This sight was discovered by Heldg and Anne Ingstad. These two has been exploring the area for years looking for Viking settlements and finally found this one in 1960. The settlement was occupied around 990-1030 AD. Today, the site is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Reconstructed Viking Encampment

Turf Wall

Iron Processing

Viking Artifacts

Turf House

Turf House Bedroom

It was early afternoon when I left L'Anse aux Meadows and started riding south. While riding, I kept seeing road signs that said moose are in the area. The park rangers at L'Anse aux Meadows told me this was day two of moose hunting season and that not only should I keep an eye out for moose, but the hunters would be out in force too. If they are anything like the hunters in the US, I should be more worried about them then the moose!

The last 5 miles or so before I reached Rocky Harbour were the worse. It was getting dark and every mile or so was a sign about how many accidents had occurred this year due to moose or deer. Lucky, I didn't see a single moose or a deer the whole time I was in Newfoundland. It's not that I don't want to see these animals, I just prefer not see them while riding.

Rocky Harbour

Rocky Harbour is a picturesque little town with a nice hotel by the bay. After changing into people clothes, I made my way to the restaurant for a few beers and some great fish and chips. Tomorrow was going to be an early day as I needed to get to the ferry before noon.

The ride from Rocky Harbour to Port aux Basque started of as one of the coldest rides I've taking in a long long time. I had 330km to ride before noon so I got one of those as-the-sun-breaks starts. Again, I was keeping an eye out for moose and deer as these guys would be heading home after a night of food as festivities.

The first hour was the ride was fucking cold. I had my electric vest and heated grips turned all the way up and I still couldn’t keep my fingers from freezing. Even sticking my hands on the Beast's jugs didn't thaw them out! But, it wasn't raining or snowing, and I didn't see any moose or deer, so life is good.

I arrived at the ferry terminal about 30 minutes early and was told the ferry had been delayed by 3 hours! I smiled at the attendant, paid my ferry fees and parked the Beast in the moto line for the ferry. Then, I stood next to the Beast for about 30 minutes soaking up the heat of the sun – man, it felt nice!

After a warm breakfast, I changed out of my riding gear in the terminal bathroom. This place even had a shower but I figured taking a shower would be too much indulgence. After changing I was more than content to wait outside, in the sun, for the ferry to arrive.

This doesn't look like a ferry in the Pacific Northwest

Moto-Treks
Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #41
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Into Nova Scotia

The ferry dropped me off in North Sydney, Nova Scotia and I was able to find a hotel and get a real tasty pizza before darkness. The following morning I took off for the famous Cabot Trail.

The Cabot Trail runs along the north west part of Nova Scotia and through Cape Breton Highlands National Park

Near Aspy Bay you can turn off the main road and take a small detour to Meat Cove, the most northerly settlement on Nova Scotia.

There's not a lot at Meat Cove - I guess they go fishing and handle the tourists that want to see the end-of-the-road.

More Cabot Trail

Riding down the Cabot Trail I ran into Joe and his Scarecrows

This place had 20-30 scarecrows of all different types, so well know figures like Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, members of KISS, etc.
A few years back there was a massacre at the village. Some of the crows still showed signs of the violence or asked for donations to help - strange place.

I had made arrangements to meet fastfreddy so I pushed on down to St John, New Brunswick.

Passing Pitou, Nova Scotia

or just waiting for the rain to stop new Moncton, New Brunswick.

That was the second time I had ever stopped just to let the rain pass. I pulled off just before the downpour and in about 10 minutes, it was done.

FastFreddy put me up for a few nights in St John. We went for a few rides

Stopped off at the local Farmers Market

and then, took off for the US via Dear Island

Thanks for the great time Fred!

Moto-Treks
Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #42
moto-treks OP
Back Home

The push home

I rode down the coast of Maine stopping at a few attractions like, Acadia National Park

before making it to Albany NY to visit my daughter. Years ago, the family and I spend the better part of a day visiting the Gettysburg battle field - something they will never let me forget. So, the next day my daughter had a surprise for me - a visit to Saratoga National Historic Park. Turns out back in 1777, this was the site of a major victory for the US during the Revolution. And, true to form, the east coast folks don't want to forget

gota love those reenactments

I had another "tire" incident in New York. Some of you may remember my experience in California when I stopped at a BMW shop that refused to change my tires because I hadn't purchased them from the shop. Well, it happened again, but this time at a Yamaha shop. What's all this shit about not wanting to mount tires unless you buy the tires from the shop? The next day I stopped off at Max BMW near Troy, New York and after a little sweet taking they agreed to change my tires. Thank you Max, we need more shops like this one

After a few days or RnR I was off to the "family farm" in Indiana.

The actual house my dad grew up in had been torn down, but my cousin Mark had taken up residence and runs a thriving Lama business as well as grows corn and soybeans on his 1,400 acre farm. If you're ever near Crawfordsville and want a Lama, stop by and say Hi.

At this point, I was in a got-to-get-home mood and pretty much rode 800 mile days until I arrived back in Spokane. I did make one stop at the Badlands National Park just east of Rapid City, South Dekota

Well, that's it, my ride to New York via Labrador. While I really enjoyed the trip, I think I'll stay on the west side of the country this year.

Moto-Treks
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #43
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Trans-Lab GPX

For those of you riding the Trans-Lab, here is a GPS track of the TLH Phase III section from Goose Bay to Cartwright.

Moto-Treks
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #44
Newfie Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Excellent ride report. I am from the West coast of the island and have travelled extensively throughout the island and Lab.

Great photos. Do you have more??? to post?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #45
Omar
Muddling thru

Oddometer: 133
Nice read of the trip

Really enjoyed reading your trip description.

I am hoping to go to Nowfoundland the way you did, but much more modest version: starting from Vermont and back. Thanks for much needed info and really nice pics.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote