ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
where can i read up on tracks? how to exchange them and such. i just bought a 60csx with mapsource which i installed in my mac. i want to try and ride the cdr this coming summer. i'll pick it up at the north end and ride south to about chama before heading west to phoenix. 'll be coming from the east coast.

do i have everything i need or do i have to buy some other types of maps too?

thanks
GPS File Depot has a nice collection of maps for your Garmin. There are a couple of sites where people share tracks that I am aware of as well. dualsportmaps.com (which is one I created) and gpsxchange.com which is quite popular as well.

The GPS is not a panacea for travelling. I don't think it replaces anything that you need for a long journey. You'll still need maps as a backup should your GPS break, get lost, etc. Also, nothing really replaces the cozy feeling of pulling a Gazetteer and compass out of your pack when you feel lost.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,277
Thanks Cannonshot for the work. I'll put it to use this summer.

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
I'm a Luddite

First Thanks Cannonshot for all your work. I thoroughly enjoyed your ride report. I need a little help loading this file. I have a Mac.

So do I need to buy Mapsource Topo US and install it into my Mac?

Then do I down load Cannonshots gps file ?

Then how do I transfer the files to my Garmin GPS 60 csx ?

Is there another program I need to buy ?

Do I put an empty SD card into my GPS before transferring the files from my Mac ?

Thanks Blair

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You do not want Topo.
Topo works fine for this trip. I used it in both Canada and the US and was quite satisfied.

Quote:
If you go to GPSXchange.com, I have a CDR file ready to download to your 60. It has less than 20 trtacks with 500 pints each. I don't know if Cannon Tracks has edited his tracks so they are ready for download.
Jerry, with all the comments you've posted in this thread, I don't know how you could have missed the remark in the very first post that I produced a ready to load and ride file of the current route for this trip. In fact, you thanked me for the waypoints I provided you.

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Thanks Guys

I think I will go with Topo Us I like the detail with the contour lines etc. I already have NA Navigator and find there is no detail once you get off the beaten path. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Anyways I will buy Topo US and try and get everything loaded up. Shooting for departing North Van about Aug 21 and riding over to Roosville and picking up the CDR there. Have to be back to work in Vancouver Sept. 10. Gonna take my time and do some day hikes in Grand Teton and really check out the Colorado mountain towns and passes. Slab it home from southern Colorado. Thats the plan anyways. Thanks again I may post any more questions I have to you guys here.

Blair

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #21
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
I think I will go with Topo Us I like the detail with the contour lines etc. I already have NA Navigator and find there is no detail once you get off the beaten path. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Anyways I will buy Topo US and try and get everything loaded up. Shooting for departing North Van about Aug 21 and riding over to Roosville and picking up the CDR there. Have to be back to work in Vancouver Sept. 10. Gonna take my time and do some day hikes in Grand Teton and really check out the Colorado mountain towns and passes. Slab it home from southern Colorado. Thats the plan anyways. Thanks again I may post any more questions I have to you guys here.

Blair
Hope you have a great trip Blair!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
#1 Most people don't like Topo on handhelds because of all the lines. I was using it last weekend because I was looking for some canyons but just as soon as I was done with that I had to turn it off and go back to R & R to see anything when I zoomed out at all.

#2 CRS

Just looked and the .gpx file in post #1. It had 38 tracks with many over 500 points each. Not ready for Prime Time. Like I said, I have a set with less than 20 tracks with less than 500 pionts each ready to Click and Ride.
Jerry, I don't know why hundreds of others get it and you don't, but in the interest of eliminating the confusion you may have introduced in this thread, here is an illustration that may help.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
I think I will go with Topo Us I like the detail with the contour lines etc. I already have NA Navigator and find there is no detail once you get off the beaten path. Blair
Try to find a copy of Roads & Rec it is by far the best and takes very little space on your card.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Just getting old and slow I guess. I added an attachement with both sets of tracks above. You can see the difference in resolution. It also shows the actaul divide.
Jerry, you just introduced more confusion into this thread.

THIS particular thread is about the tracks I prepared and posted to share based on a ride that I documented.

It is not about the variety of products that others have produced in other places for other purposes.

Perhaps it would be better if you started your own thread that focuses on the tracks you are interested in promoting.

I reviewed the posts you put in this thread and find them to be distracting and the source of confusion.

Please don't post in this thread anymore.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #25
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

What is in the 20 track loader file.

In the interest of restoring clarity, let me describe what is in the 20 track ready to load and ride file.

Overview of the GDR including Canada. The tracks in this file are current and are different from others prepared in the past. These tracks take into account any closures and route changes made up through last season. Once new maps are published, I will review them for any changes and post an updated file for people to use.

This is the directory of the 20 track files in the ready to load and ride file. Note that there are some alternates included in the file. Those who have actually ridden the GDR will likely tell you that it is important to have the alternate routes available while you are on the ride because of the potential for wet weather that may make the primary path impassable in some areas. I also included some side trips that are not available in other versions of the tracks (ghost towns, etc). These can be easily by-passed by sticking to the primary route. I also included 665 waypoints that include fuel, dealers by brand, points of interest, camping, and the like.

The Canada portion of the GDR is unique to this file.

Maps of the US portion including various side trips available to points of interest and alternates to the main route.

I also produced a separate comprehensive planning file that has many more tracks available. The purpose of the other file is to assist people in their planning. It contains the bicycle only sections and the restricting gates that prohibit motorized travel so that people can more easily interpret the ACA maps for the route. It has other features as well, including my friend Big Dog's tracks so you can see the differences between his route from several years ago and the current route. Here is a sample from the file.

Red is bicycle only.

Hope this keeps things clear and that these files prove useful to others that may be pursuing this trip.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 07:22 AM
Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #26
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
"Thank you" doesn't even begin to describe my gratitude. I just loaded these tracks onto my 60csx this afternoon and it's readily apparent that you've put much thought and effort into this. Great work! I feel like I practically have a guided tour in the palm of my hand now.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,398
Wow ... sure wish I had your file last year when I rode the GDR. I have to confess, I was "Zumo-challenged" last year and got lost a lot. And I dunno what it is ... but I seem to have a personality clash with MapSource. I experienced it as old, clunky software.

I've since bought a 60CSx and am now learning how to use it. Hoping to ride the GDR again NEXT year - in approx 2 weeks, vs. 2.5 months last year! - and have everything dialed in.

Anyway, as always, appreciating the details, clarity and time you put into your reports for us ...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #28
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
OUTSTANDING! Thanks Canonshot.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Cannonshot,

Again, I want to express my gratitude for your generosity in supplying tracks of your route. Along with yours, others & our own, it made navigating the CDR a piece of cake.

I won't hijack your thread but, It may be beneficial to mention the detour around Medicine Bow National Forest this summer.

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,277
Cannonshot, once again you overwhelm me with your aptitude. Thank you

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote