Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,645
Day 7: Friday, 3 September 2010

We awoke to a beautiful, clear morning.

We hit the road and headed north toward L'Anse aux Meadows, site of a pre-Columbus Viking settlement. We stopped off at a Tim Horton's for breakfast, waved at Martin as he rode past in the other direction, and came to the northern tip of Newfoundland.

Then we headed over to the historical site and walked out towards the recreated settlement. Rugged, beautiful countryside up there.

The Viking houses were made of sod and actually seemed quite comfortable on the inside.

These remarkably authentic-looking men were working on this boat. I wonder if they have winter gigs as pirates or at ren fairs down south somewhere.

On the way out of the historical site, we finally spotted some moose and thought of Martin. How he would have enjoyed this!

We headed south, enjoying the beautiful countryside along the way.

We picked up some groceries and fresh fish in Rocky Harbour and set up camp in Gros Morne National Park's Green Point campground. It sits on top of a hill overlooking the sea.

We picked a nice spot shielded on three sides by woods.

Roman sporting his new Trans-Lab t-shirt.

Once again we were treated to a spectacular sunset. The sky up here seems to enjoy putting on a show.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 8: Saturday, 4 September 2010

We got going a little late this morning, stopped for breakfast in Rocky Harbour, then stopped off at the Gros Morne National Park visitor's center for an updated weather forecast, as we had heard that Hurricane Earl was supposed to be hitting Newfoundland that evening. The forecast confirmed that Earl would be moving up the western coast of Newfoundland, with 60+mph winds expected. So we figured it would be a good idea to head east.

Back out in the parking lot, we ran into Alex from Ontario.

In the course of conversation, it emerged that he'd ridden over on the ferry with ADV inmates MZcountryboy and Goodolguzzi on their way to the Skibum Soiree. Funny, since I know MZcb and was wondering if I'd run into him myself at some point on the Rock.

We said goodbye to Alex and headed east with Twillingate in mind as a likely destination, but after an hour on Highway 1, we were really bored and stopped to take a break at an info center on the side of the road. As it happened, there was a harvest festival going on there, and a whole bunch of locals were milling about. We were given some advice about the area, and since we were feeling lazy and definitely didn't feel like spending too much more time on Highway 1, we opted to head up to the nearby town of King's Point and get a motel for the night to wait out Earl. Turned out to be a good decision.

We rode around the area a bit and checked out the high waterfall just north of town.

Then we rode back towards King's Point, which is situated on a long arm of the sea, forming an excellent natural harbor.

We stopped off at the By the Sea Cafe, and Roman couldn't resist the poutine.

The cafe partially sits on a pier; this is the view from the back porch. Highly recommended -- super-nice staff, good food.

It started raining around 8:30 as Earl approached, and we turned in early.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #18
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 9: Sunday, 5 September 2010

By the time we awoke the next morning, Earl had moved on and the sun was shining. It was hellaciously windy though.

We had breakfast at By the Sea Cafe, then headed out for the slog down Highway 1 to Port-aux-Basques. There's a lot of fantastic riding in Newfoundland, but for the most part, Highway 1 isn't it -- especially in high winds. I got my worst-ever gas mileage on the V-Strom.

There is some occasional nice scenery though.

Nearing Port-aux-Basques, we caught up with a familiar ADVified Ninja 650 -- David (jdrocks)! We all stopped for gas, then continued on to J.T. Cheeseman Provincial Park just outside Port-aux-Basques to set up camp, since we all had reservations on the following morning's ferry.

David took the campsite next to ours.

We cooked dinner, made a campfire, burned a particularly horrible shirt of Roman's, and enjoyed our last evening in Newfoundland. I enjoyed the Rock immensely, and will definitely be back.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 10: Monday, 6 September 2010

We got up early the next morning and got ourselves over to the ferry dock at the appointed hour. We were originally booked on the Caribou, but our tickets read Atlantic Vision... but oddly enough, the ferry that was actually present was the Leif Ericson.

The sun was still just coming up.

We stood around for a while, and the Leif Ericson departed without us. Soon thereafter, the Atlantic Vision docked. Jason and I sighed and went into the terminal building to find some breakfast.

Eventually we boarded the ferry and strapped down.

Departing Port-aux-Basques.

I've heard that the Atlantic Vision has suffered from a lot of mechanical problems, but she worked fine for us and was fast and surprisingly luxurious. $20 including tax got us an all-you-can-eat buffet lunch featuring a number of very tasty entrees, sides, and desserts. We ate for much of the crossing.

Upon docking in North Sydney, we disembarked and headed for the Cabot Trail.

David was going this way too.

From there we headed up to Meat Cove to camp.

And who did we find greeting us at Meat Cove? Martin and his wife Lorena!

As we ate dinner, the sun set.

We built a campfire with Martin and Lorena and chatted for a couple of hours, being joined at times also by the folks at the next campsite, also ADV inmates. Meat Cove was like a mini ADV rally that night.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

markbvt screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 09:31 AM
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 11: Tuesday, 7 September 2010

By morning the weather had clouded up. We broke camp, said goodbye to Martin and Lorena, and took off down the western side of the Cabot Trail.

We stopped in Cheticamp for breakfast and discussed which route to take homewards. Roman announced that his shoulder and ribs were still bothering him from his crash at the beginning of the trip, and he was tired of camping and was going to head straight home. Jason and I decided to head up into New Brunswick towards the Gaspé peninsula.

We said goodbye to Roman down at the Canso Causeway.

Jason and I rode along the coast, eventually stopping to camp at Amherst Shore Provincial Park. Nice campground there.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 12: Wednesday, 8 September 2010

It turned out this campground had Wifi, so on our way out I checked the weather forecast. Turned out the weather was looking crappy over the entire Gaspé peninsula for the next few days, while Maine was looking pretty good, so we changed our plans -- we'd head west to Maine and ride along the coast.

Unfortunately, we didn't ride far before we hit the rain. Rain gear on, Flogging Molly piping into my ears, we slabbed it to Moncton (where we emerged from the rain) and over to Fundy National Park.

Unfortunately, the rain restarted as we rode through the park, and kept up past Saint John. We eventually gave up on this day and stopped at New River Beach Provincial Park to camp.

The rain petered out, but the fog we'd ridden into about 20 miles back didn't.

Apparently the weather here is like this a lot, because the ground was covered with a thick coat of moss.

We built a campfire and were soon invited to drink some traditional chai (similar to very strong tea) at the campsite across the way, inhabited by a very tall R1200GSA rider. Not many people make me feel short at 6'4", but this dude was 6'9". Turned out he was from Montana and in the National Guard, and was spending a while riding around the US and Canada before he gets deployed to the sandbox for the third time. Chai consumed, we moved over to our campsite to enjoy the campfire we'd started and chatted into the night before turning in. I never caught our very tall friend's name, but he was a really nice guy.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 13: Thursday, 9 September 2010

The next morning the weather was much better. Jason and I broke camp and set out westwards, still passing through occasional patches of fog, but mostly enjoying morning sunshine.

Soon we crossed the border back into the US and stopped at the visitor center in Calais, ME, to use their Wifi.

Then we headed southwest along Rt 1, which was much more boring than I'd expected. Basically a lot of this...

...occasionally interspersed with this...

...or this.

Our goal for the day was the campground at Mt Desert, just outside of Acadia National Park. Short day, easy ride, and tomorrow we would meet up with my friend David (the one from my WV/TN/etc ride report, who'd moved to Maine with his girlfriend a month ago), ride over to NH, and camp along the Kancamagus Highway.

We turned onto Rt 3 towards Bar Harbor with increasing traffic, and I was eagerly anticipating having a lobster roll for lunch. A joint off to the left side looked like it might be a good spot to get one; I glanced over, and by the time I glanced back, the truck ahead of me had slammed on its brakes. I braked hard... too hard. The front brakes overwhelmed the TKC-80's ability to grip the grimy suburban pavement, the front wheel locked up, and down I went, thinking, "Goddammit, I wanted to make it through this whole trip without crashing!"

I scrambled off to the side of the road to avoid being hit by a car and sat down on the grass. Jason and a bystander picked up my bike for me. I tried to unbuckle my helmet and noticed my hands weren't working right, so Jason helped me. He also helped me out of my jacket, whereupon I discovered that my right hand was making a really weird shape at the end of my arm. Shit. I told Jason to grab hold of my hand and pulled on it, hoping it would pop back into position, but it didn't. Shit. At least it didn't hurt.

A few minutes later, I saw an ambulance approaching and thought, "I hope they're not coming for me." But it pulled up and paramedics emerged. They began checking me out and seemed surprised that my head was intact, my neck was intact, my spine was intact, and in fact the only thing obviously wrong with me was my weirdly-shaped right hand.

I, meanwhile, had just two thoughts that kept alternating. The first was, "Dammit, I don't want to let something stupid like this keep me from finishing this trip," and the second was, "Shit, this is going to be expensive."

I am a V-Strom rider, after all. Only slightly less cheap than a KLR rider. Unfortunately the paramedics assured me there was nothing they could do to patch me up in the field, and I'd have to come to the hospital with them. So I climbed into the ambulance (I refused to be put on a stretcher), while Jason collected my gear and got a room at the motel I'd conveniently crashed in front of.

And so began my adventure at Maine Coast Memorial Hospital. The ambulance arrived and I once again insisted on walking into the ER on my own two feet. The ER staff seemed a bit surprised by this. I was made comfortable in an examination room, and soon a stream of different people flowed in, mostly one at a time, checking my pulse and blood pressure, asking me the same questions over and over, taking insurance information, etc. They were all very friendly though.

Eventually I was wheeled over to radiology, where a number of pictures were taken of my right paw, and also the left one since something felt off inside it as well. A short time later, a nurse stopped by to deliver the bad news that yes, my wrist was busted.

Right paw:

Left paw:

Shit. This is going to be expensive.

A short time later, an orthopedist stopped in to discuss my injuries and advise me on my options. The laundry list: broken and dislocated right wrist, broken fifth metacarpal in my right hand, broken third metacarpal in my left hand. The left hand was aligned and should heal fine on its own with a splint. The right would require surgery. The doctor told me there were two different plates he could use. The first, cheaper one is sort of an all-purpose plate that would do the trick but carried an increased risk of future arthritis. The second, more expensive one is a new item specifically designed for exactly this sort of injury. This was one case in which I decided not to be a cheap bastard, so I opted for the swanky new plate. Thankfully I have good health insurance.

So I was scheduled into surgery that evening, and although they wanted to keep me overnight, I told them I'd rather just go back to the motel room Jason had gotten. The next few hours were spent alternately talking to a variety of doctors and nurses and reading magazines, and finally I was wheeled into the OR. I had really hoped they could use a local anesthetic so I could watch the procedure, but that wasn't in the cards. I passed out, and next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room with both of my paws bandaged to splints.

I was informed that the doctor had installed the plate to shore up my wrist joint...

...and a pin to stabilize the fifth metacarpal.

The pin will come out, but I get to keep my nifty titanium wrist farkle for life.

Eventually a cab was called for me and I went back to the motel. Jason had gotten me a BLT, which I tried to eat, but could only swallow a few mouthfuls due to the most hellacious cottonmouth caused by the damn breathing tube they'd stuffed down my throat during surgery.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #23
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,925
Ouch! Heal up quickly! So glad that didn't happen somewhere on Phase III...

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Epilogue

Friday morning Jason and I mulled over options for getting home. The V-Strom was fine except for a few scratches and a broken clutch lever -- but there was no shop around that had a replacement clutch lever. Besides, I wouldn't be able to ride it. So we eventually decided to rent a U-Haul; conveniently, there was a rental place across the street from the motel. I picked a great spot to crash.

We made it home Friday evening, a small army of friends was mobilized to help unload the bikes, and my friend Jesse dropped off the U-Haul for me while Jason rode his bike home.

Having both hands splinted is inconvenient, but I've got decent mobility in my fingers, and the left splint is removable for bathing/etc. So I'm getting by fine, was back at work on Monday, and can type and mouse okay. Mostly I'm just pissed I'm missing the best part of the riding season. If anyone with a hack feels like giving me a ride...

Thanks to Jason for being such a good sport when things departed so radically from our plan, and to the doctors and nurses at Maine Coast Memorial Hospital for patching me up. And to my friends for helping out when Jason and I got home Friday night. And to Roman and Martin for being such good company before they split off. Regardless of the way it ended, it was an awesome trip.

--mark

Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #25
RunLongVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Glad to have you back in one piece, Mark!
RunLongVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #26
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,096
Damn Mark, you are bring back memories

I was there only a month ago, but your piks are so clear, that i can vividly remember our trip like it was yesterday.

And yes, CINDY made me drop my bike, because that was all that i could think of . (that and the fact that my GSA had a full TANK)

And so sorry to see how it ended. We had a few drops on our trip, but to crashes. But were very fortunate.

Heal fast so that we can hear of more of your adventures.

sdc

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me

sdpc2 screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 04:02 PM
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Great report and pictures. Too bad to read about the ending and I hope you heal well.

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #28
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,450
Man, I hope you heal quickly, you did more damage to your wrist than I.

You will miss out on foliage season riding, but I know a guy with a hack.....

Great report, and nice pics.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,941
Mark -- I'd be glad to give you a ride in my hack, but it has no seat -- just a dog bed. You'd have to wear the leash and Doggles.

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351

Very enjoyable RR! Sorry to hear about your get-off..so here's to wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping you don't miss all of what remains of the riding season.

Get Well Soon!

C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote