Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Journey from Memphis to Colorado and back

September 4, 2010

I was planning on leaving early in the morning on Saturday, September 4, 2010 so I was doing all the last minute packing Friday night when something happened to cause concern.

I had to go by Walmart Friday night for some items for the trip, on the way there I stopped by the ATM to get cash for my trip. For some reason, my card would not work. I went to Walmart and got my stuff then when I was checking out my card would not work there, neither credit nor debit. (in case you're wondering I only have one card, the debit/credit card from my bank because I hate debt)

So I'm about to leave for a 10 day trip to Colorado and I only have $59 and a debit/credit card that will not work. I was hoping all I would need to do would be call my bank & they would fix my card. Worst case scenario I would have to wait until Tuesday to get in touch with the bank because Monday is Labor day holiday.

Luckily my roommate owed me money so I got him to give me $95 cash and that brought me up to $154. I was guessing I would spend about $70 on gas just to get there. I had packed some food: one pack of bagels, a jar of peanut butter, honey, peanuts, raisins, & a bag of apples. I stay at Hampton Inn's for free because I have so many Hilton points saved up from work travel & they give a free breakfast. So if I had to I could just use my cash for gas money & eat the food I had packed until Tuesday.

So with that in mind I got up Saturday morning and pulled out around 6:30am.

Here is the route I took: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&utm_...a&utm_term=map

My destination for the day being Junction City, KS, more then halfway to Denver. I was surprised at how nice of a ride it is north of Jonesboro up to around Springfield, MO. Nice rolling hills, very little traffic, high of 80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. The morning was chilly and I had to put on more layers.

Around 10am I stopped for gas and tried calling my bank. Come to find out my bank had deactivated my card due to some fraud going on in the Memphis area (?) I bank with a small credit union in Memphis and they are extremely cautious. For the most part this is a good thing, I was just glad I was able to get someone on the phone on Saturday. I had the lady reactivate my card and made some withdrawals from the nearest ATM. She said that if she reactivates my card & my card gets hacked they are not responsible, I figured I would take my chances. I cancelled the card after I hit up the ATM just in case. I sure hope I don't need a card!

Since my money problem was relieved I stopped and ate lunch at Lamberts in Ozark, MO, just south of Springfield.

I spent $17.77 on lunch, $38.61 on gasoline, and $2.50 for a toll road. I stopped for a break at a Walmart and bought a bungie net I had been wanting for $6.32. Total of $65.20. I started at 6:30am & pulled into Junction City, KS at 7:45pm, total of 590 miles. So much for the Iron Butt club. Tomorrow will be an easy ride to Denver since I went most of the day today.
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Sunday, September 5, 2010

I woke up & looked out the window at my bike & saw that my bike cover that I put on last night was gone. Either the Kansas wind blew it away or someone stole it.

I aired up my tires & was on the road by 7am, 470 miles to go on I-70. Things were going very smooth until I made it to windmill country in Kansas. I did not anticipate the winds. I had to ride leaning to the left to keep the bike going in a straight line but it only lasted about 80 miles then the wind was not as bad.

Not much to write home about on this ride, just lots of land & not many towns. I did enjoy the rolling plains of Kansas for about the first 100 miles but that was enough.

I pulled into my hotel in Denver a sometime between 2pm and 3pm, Mountain Time.

I am planning on doing some riding around the area Monday & Tuesday but am still working out routes. The tentative plan was to go to Royal Gorge Monday & then Pikes Peak on Tuesday. I really want to do some off road riding but don't know enough about the area to know where to go.
I recently learned about Mt Evans & might go there tomorrow instead of Royal Gorge.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,356
Mt Evans is great and once you're there , may as well just go straight north and to RMNat'l Park.
What are you riding by the way?
Enjoy, you're gonna see some beautiful country.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Mt Evans is great and once you're there , may as well just go straight north and to RMNat'l Park.
What are you riding by the way?
Enjoy, you're gonna see some beautiful country.

I have a BMW F800GS. I will have some pictures soon.

Today I went up Mt Evans and the surrounding area. Amazing, pictures coming soon...

Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Here is the route I took: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...4,0.41954&z=12

A truly fantastic ride, thanks to the members Blakebird, Brad Horn and others in the Rockies regional section for posting it.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Monday, September 6, 2010, Mt Evans and surrounding area

I got off on Morrison and was pleasantly surprised to see Red Rocks so I took a quick detour to see what was there.

Very nice mountain towns on the way up Morrison & Evergreen. And a nice lake I passed on the way.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Mt Evans was a thrill. The wind was really something, I felt like I succeeded since I made it up and back down without my bike getting blown over or off the side. It is ride with no rails or shoulder and if I had gone off the side it's game over. Don't look down!

This is just before the final summit, where the road narrows, the series of switchback turns, and strong winds:

A lake just before the final summit, even here the winds were very strong. This is already above the timberline and the temperature was in the high 30's.

Views from the top:

At first I was worried my bike would blow over, but I parked it facing the wind & just began to trust that it is too heavy and the wind will NOT be able to blow it over. This mindset also helped during the ascend and descent.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

A few more from Mt Evans.

Here is the visitor center at the foot of Goliath Mountain:

A view from outside the visitor's center:

Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

This is outside the gift shop/restaurant at the base of the road that goes up Mt Evans. I stopped here when I got back down and ate an apple.

After that it was back on the road heading towards the lake you see in the picture. Next stop Idaho Springs.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Went through Idaho Springs to Virginia Canyon Road or the "OH MY GOD Road" as the locals call it. This was the highlight of the day for me. There are many old mines along the way that were fascinating. I will post pictures of some...

Here I stopped for some shots.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

A view from the edge of the road. There are roads and houses down there somewhere.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

And the family portraits.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Here is the first mine I came to:

Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

Virginia Canyon Road took me to Central City. About .5 a mile before I got to Central City I came upon this old mine.

From the top:

Moving down,

Continuing down,

Then it goes down there

Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
RamblerTim OP
Adventurer

In case your wondering here's the name of the mine.