User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
MiniMan85 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KTM 690 Enduro Skidplate

Just installed the Flatlands Racing skid plate on the 690 and I can say with conviction that it is absolutely all that you could ask for in a straight skid plate. It's nice thick aluminum, the welds are works of art and I'd suggest it's got to be one of the best skid plates money can buy and thankfully you don't need to spend much money! :)

With all of that said, I've racked up ~700 KM on my 2014 690 and I've hit some rocks pretty damn hard with the stock skid plate. To be totally honest, the thing hardly has more than a few scuffs on it. After taking it off and feeling it, I actually think it would take an incredibly serious impact with a strong, sharp object to go through it and damage the casing. The only downside I can see is that a percentage of the force of an impact is still being transferred into the engine case.

So this got me wondering - does anyone have pictures or stories depicting damage to the motor as a result of the stock skid plate not being able to adequately protect it? If so, how'd it happen?
MiniMan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,408
The only problem I found with the stock skid plate is it doesn't cover enough of the sides of the motor. I used the stocker for years but was getting a lot of chips on the unprotected areas so I went ahead and got the Flatlands racing one last year.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote