Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
NB0TT OP
brrrrrraaaaaaap

Oddometer: 3
Cylinder Head Temps of an Aircooled 150 4T?

Can anyone give insight on what the average and max temps should be for an aircooled 150cc using a TrailTech style sensor that goes around the sparkplug replacing the crush washer?

I'm used to always running TrailTech temp gauges on old 2 stroke mopeds. Usually you want temps in the 300-400F range. Once you go above 400F on an aluminum moped cylinder you start risking an engine seize. If you are using a cast iron cylinder you can usually risk higher temps before seizure.

I recently bought a new Wolf 150 (Based on the CB125 made by SYM) and installed a temp gauge and am regularly in the high 300's just cruising around town and into the mid 400's and sometimes upper 400's when I'm on a sustained long ride at high speeds.......These temps seem crazy to me as they would have completely fried any of my two stroke engines very quickly and I was under the assumption that 4T engines generally ran much cooler in the first place.

Do these temps seem right to any of you? I feel like maybe this gauge is completely inaccurate and maybe I should try throwing the thermocouple in a pot of boiling water to try and test accuracy. It doesn't feel like the engine is overheating and there is plenty of power. Plug is a little lean looking but mostly alright but it's the EPA laws that make 'em set it up that way.

NB0TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I'm curious about this as well. My XRL has no oil cooler so I often wonder if I'm pushing the temp too far.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
I know of several air cooled aircraft engines that limit out at 500 - 525 if it makes you feel any better. the trick is to get below 300 before shutdown to keep from cracking cylinders
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
NB0TT OP
brrrrrraaaaaaap

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I know of several air cooled aircraft engines that limit out at 500 - 525 if it makes you feel any better. the trick is to get below 300 before shutdown to keep from cracking cylinders
Interesting about the aircraft engines.....but I wouldn't be surprised if they were built to a higher standard and could withstand higher temps in general.

Went for a long ride yesterday and reached a max temp of 473F but mostly in the 400-450 range. That was out in the hills and back roads. If I'm just riding through the city then the temps are mostly in the 300's just under 400 or maybe a tiny bit more.

Do most aircooled 4T guys not monitor CHT in general? Just seems like scary high temps to me as I thought 4T engines ran much cooler than 2T.

Another thing would be to try boiling the thermo couple and see just how accurate the TrailTech TTO really is......
NB0TT is offline   Reply With Quote