Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #181
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,751
So I took the bike to PMI yesterday and had a great time. I still have a lot of things to work out, but overall I'm impressed.

One thing I need to work out is jetting. The bike hesitates REAL bad on hard acceleration from low RPM's. What changes should I make to the jetting?

The bike has the stock carb (TM33), stock intake, stock exhaust, and a 440cc kit. The accelerator pump is in good working order.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #182
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,276
You will need to start messing with main Jets Mate but going to something like Jesse's recommendation I found was way to big , I believe he said 147'5 and that was waaaaay to big for us mountain folk.

I worked my way down from that and ended up on 127.5 main with needle in the 4th from top slot .

I know you have just built this motor so I'm sure the valves are set dead right , I mention that because having them a little off will make it a bitch to start .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #183
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
You will need to start messing with main Jets Mate but going to something like Jesse's recommendation I found was way to big , I believe he said 147'5 and that was waaaaay to big for us mountain folk.

I worked my way down from that and ended up on 127.5 main with needle in the 4th from top slot .

I know you have just built this motor so I'm sure the valves are set dead right , I mention that because having them a little off will make it a bitch to start .
Thanks for the info. I too thought Jesse's suggestions seemed a bit fat for elevation, but a 127 main? Wow that seems small. You've got a big bore on your bike too, right?

I hope to pick up some new jetting tomorrow to experiment with.

I also ordered some .47 springs for the front. I'll get to test them out next week in Moab.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #184
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Does anyone make one of those oil temp gauges that's built into the dip stick for these bikes?

Well I had a 135 main sitting around so I tried that and the hesitation was almost completely gone. So I went and got a 137.5 and it seems perfect for my elevation (about 9000 ft). Next week I'll be in Moab so we'll see how it does there.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #185
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I took the bike to the trails today. The rear brake locked up pretty quick. I took it home and bled it. The old fluid was all rust colored. I took it out again and it did great. The mid-bike henge feeling never raised it's head. I think the stiffened swingarm is doing it's job, although if I were to do it over I'd probably go with an RM swingarm conversion as I think that would be easier.

I've got the fork rebound damping up to max, but it still pogos off whoops. This is going to be an even bigger problem when I install the stiffer springs. I'll probably have to go to a heavier weight oil when I do the springs.

What weight oil comes stock with these forks (98 kicker)?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #186
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I took the bike to the trails today. The rear brake locked up pretty quick. I took it home and bled it. The old fluid was all rust colored. I took it out again and it did great.
Hi Pablo,

My rear brake locked up a few weeks ago and wouldn't release (I had a bit of a low speed tumble - no damage to me or the DR). Turns out my pads had worn down past their limit. I think the cylinders had pushed out too far and got cocked or something. Fresh pads and a quick verification that my rotor was still within spec and no more symptoms.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #187
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,276
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I too thought Jesse's suggestions seemed a bit fat for elevation, but a 127 main? Wow that seems small. You've got a big bore on your bike too, right?

I hope to pick up some new jetting tomorrow to experiment with.

I also ordered some .47 springs for the front. I'll get to test them out next week in Moab.
Yeah I know127 seems tiny but at WOT I had a slight stumble and it kept getting better as I decreased the main size. Remember the bigger bore is pulling air much faster.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #188
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I've been experimenting with jetting. Changing the needle clip seems to change jetting much more than any other carb I've worked with. I can't find idle jets locally so I've ordered a number of them.

The .47 fork springs are in the bike. I took it out for a short ride today. It did real well. The springs are slightly stiffer than I'd like, but they aren't too far off, so I'll probably stick with them.

The trails I did today were the most technical I've done on the bike so far. I was real impressed with the improved chassis stiffness. I need more rear rebound damping, but it's set as hard as it will go. I'll check the nitrogen pressure tomorrow to make sure that's not the problem. I'm heading to Moab next week to do a little more "testing" on the bike.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #189
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The trails I did today were the most technical I've done on the bike so far. I was real impressed with the improved chassis stiffness. I need more rear rebound damping, but it's set as hard as it will go. I'll check the nitrogen pressure tomorrow to make sure that's not the problem.
Just a heads up: I've read that unless you have a zero loss nitrogen inflation system, that the mere act of checking the nitrogen pressure (using a standard gauge) will bleed off a lot of pressure.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #190
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Just a heads up: I've read that unless you have a zero loss nitrogen inflation system, that the mere act of checking the nitrogen pressure (using a standard gauge) will bleed off a lot of pressure.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Yup. It usually bleeds off at least 20 psi. I've got a nitrogen bottle with the proper inflation mechanism.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #191
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup. It usually bleeds off at least 20 psi. I've got a nitrogen bottle with the proper inflation mechanism.
I'm jealous :>
Old 03-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #192
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Cam question

I should have taken a picture of the cam when I had it out. I measured the lobe height and it was correct, but the cam profile was not a mirror image on both sides, as if there was a different profile for raising the valve vs lowering it. Something like this:

Can someone post a pic of a known good cam profile? I'd like to know if this is normal, or due to wear.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #193
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I don't have a cam picture, but below, from the Megacycle cam catalog, are the dimensions of the stock cams - looks to me like they should be pretty well symmetrical...?

Stock DR-350 1990
.328" 226 109 4 btc/42 abc
.328" 226 109 42 bbc/4 atc
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #194
BAD-MOD
professional fiddler

Oddometer: 164
cam issues

Hey man they are both symetrical but the shape of the lobe is not im on a similar mission to distech with my dr.
I have just stripped down mine so heres a pic of (there is some spalling on the intake lobe though).

BAD-MOD screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 01:52 AM
BAD-MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #195
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD-MOD View Post
Hey man they are both symetrical but the shape of the lobe is not im on a similar mission to distech with my dr.
I have just stripped down mine so heres a pic of (there is some spalling on the intake lobe though).
Thanks for posting. I brightened up the image so I could see it better. I'll have a closer look next time I have the cam out.