Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #257
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Maybe I'll name the bike Sherman.
Sherman is a great name and do you like olive drab for a color?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6pF4x9SwKs
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #258
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
I went on a ride yesterday. I left at 6:00am. I tried to complete the southern-most section of the Timberline Trail... it's rocky.

I was having traction problems so I aired down the tires a bit. About a quarter mile down the trail I notice the rear was flat. Something must have gotten stuck in the valve when I aired it down. I pulled out my pump and noticed it was broken. I still had about 4 PSI in the rear so I limped it to Taylor Trading Post and borrowed a hand pump from a Texan. The tube wasn't inflating properly and I wasn't going to have a pump when I went back into the trails so I decided to play it safe and change the rear tube. After that was done I headed to Union Park for some singletrack. I got stuck in some mud on the way.

About half way through the singletrack I noticed my front tire was running low so I limped the bike out to the city of Ohio and used the air compressor at the general store. I then did a high speed 6 mile stretch to Pitkin. When I pulled into town I noticed the rear was flat again. I found a compressor in front of the diner and put enough air in it to get me to the general store where they sell tubes. I spent $32 on their last 18" tube and changed the rear tire again. It turns out the high speed section melted off a patch on the tube.

Then I got thoroughly lost on some back roads trying to find the last section of singletrack.

I'm guessing this trail was reserved for DR's. Good thing I was on the right bike.

I changed into and out of my rain gear about 50 times, and I still got soaked.

I finished the singletrack just before dark. I rode over Cottonwood Pass after dark in the rain. That kind of sucked. I got home at just past midnight. On the bright side, I found some new trails for the 2012 MB500.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #259
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947

Did you ride the DR all the way from Woodland park to Taylor Park? If so, hats off to you sir!!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #260
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Good stuff!

Yesterday must have been the day for riding DR's on dirt/mud, in the rain, and at night. Leaving after work at 3 PM, the roads were dry and lovely the entire ~70 mile ride from my home in Cave Creek, AZ to the middle of nowhere. Turning around and heading for home caught me in the middle of rain and/or lightening storms for 60 of the 70 miles back home: a few nasty mud sections, crossing some flash flood rivers, and a headlight that doesn't exactly challenge the sun in intensity when it is covered in mud. Didn't get back until 9:30 PM. I don't mind rain so much, but lightening storms give me ample time for prayer.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #261
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Did you ride the DR all the way from Woodland park to Taylor Park?
Nope, I trailered to BV, sorry.

I've got a decent dirt route from here to BV, which is nice on the DR, but it adds an hour or so to the ride.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #262
BAD-MOD
professional fiddler

Oddometer: 164
Man i love to remember days like that,
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #263
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Great report and your DR sounds bad ass.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #264
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Looks like a great ride!
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #265
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
Looks like a great ride!
Most of the trails I hit were very similar to Sheep Mtn. Next time you stop by, remind me to take you up Fossil Ridge to Boulder Lake. I think you'd really like that ride.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #266
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Nope, I trailered to BV, sorry.

I've got a decent dirt route from here to BV, which is nice on the DR, but it adds an hour or so to the ride.
Nice.

I know a few good dirt routes from Rampart to WP. To be able to link those with a dirt route that goes from WP to BV (and beyond) would make for a great DS ride.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #267
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,922
Jsut found this thread again after a few months. Since I have finally been riding (snow melted) I am on ADV again.

I jsut fitted my acerbis tank last week. I like, but the fule hose routing is less than desirable. Really close to the engine. I used some wire fixed to the tank mount to guide the fuel lines away from the head cover. So far so good. I am going to try to run this tank down to see how many miles I can get out of it.

Though our bikes look very similar. It makes me kind of sad knowing that it is totally stock SE; power/ weight/ and suspension wise.

If you are ever out west with your DR...
Attached Images

MrPulldown screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 11:15 AM
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #268
BAD-MOD
professional fiddler

Oddometer: 164
nice bike mr pulldown i like it it is allways good to see a tidy number i to am un-impressed with the after market number . i have chose to stay with the oem i get good milage from that . we'll have to see what it's like with the 455 upgrade though lol
Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #269
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,922
It is rare that I need any extra power. Maybe so I do not have to downshift on a hill climb or when I am on the slab. I do get about 70mpg currently. And I am hoping that I can get well into the 300's with this gas tank.

What kind of GPS mount do you have pablo? Seems like I am using the same Vista, but I use the standard handlebar mount. Ours seems like it holds the unit better and positions it in a better location so you can see it while riding.

A note on the rack. I got it for a bike camping trip and was about to take it off, but it makes a great grab bar to help lift the bike up after you lay it down. I guess I will jsut keep her on there.
Attached Images

MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #270
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
What kind of GPS mount do you have pablo?
It's a Ram mount. I used the Garmin bicycle style mount last season, but the plastic wore out enough that the unit starting popping off on bumpy parts. I had to backtrack to find my GPS lying on the trail 3 times, I'm really lucky to still have it.

I don't know if it helps, but I've used these fuel line protectors. In addition to providing some protection, they also make the line a little more ridged which helps keep them away from the exhaust and head.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../353-0788.aspx