Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #361
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,763
Guess what I bought this morning...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300674542774

I've been looking for one of these for about 9 months now. This is the first one I've seen for sale (OEM or Jagg). I bought it as quick as I could, without asking any additional questions. I hope it works.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #362
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300674542774

I've been looking for one of these for about 9 months now. This is the first one I've seen for sale (OEM or Jagg). I bought it as quick as I could, without asking any additional questions. I hope it works.

Very cool! Indeed, those come up for sale very infrequently. I hope you will document the install with a lot of good, detailed photos. I've been contemplating adding one of these for a while, now.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #363
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,547
The Jaggs version is quite different than the OEM. I was able to get my hands on an OEM on a little bit ago. But sold it to my buddy so he could run it on his DR.

From the jagg installation instructions you cut one of the hoses and route the oil into the cooler. 100% of the oil goes to the cooler.

The OEM has some weird "T" in it. I think that only a portion of the oil goes through the cooler.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #364
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I have that same cooler on the 92 DR350 I recently picked up, I didn't even know it was on the bike until I was loading it into the truck. You will need to cut the oil line to run it to the cooler. I'm not sure how well it works since I don't have a temp gauge.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #365
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Thanks for the info. I was going to try and find a set of OEM oil cooler hoses, but clearly that's not going to work. I think I might already have the Jagg installation diagram around here somewhere (or maybe that was for the XR650L). I'll have to look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The Jaggs version is quite different than the OEM. I was able to get my hands on an OEM on a little bit ago. But sold it to my buddy so he could run it on his DR.

From the jagg installation instructions you cut one of the hoses and route the oil into the cooler. 100% of the oil goes to the cooler.

The OEM has some weird "T" in it. I think that only a portion of the oil goes through the cooler.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #366
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I have that same cooler on the 92 DR350 I recently picked up, I didn't even know it was on the bike until I was loading it into the truck. You will need to cut the oil line to run it to the cooler. I'm not sure how well it works since I don't have a temp gauge.
Is there a mounting bracket for it?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #367
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was going to try and find a set of OEM oil cooler hoses, but clearly that's not going to work. I think I might already have the Jagg installation diagram around here somewhere (or maybe that was for the XR650L). I'll have to look around.
I've got the JAGG instructions here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...n_instructions

...and a few small photos of the original cooler here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...gtb_oil_cooler

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #368
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Sweet. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
I've got the JAGG instructions here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...n_instructions

...and a few small photos of the original cooler here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...gtb_oil_cooler

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #369
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Is there a mounting bracket for it?
Just like the Jagg manual says, it's mounted with two large hose clamps to the downtube. Not elegant, but it works. I don't care for cutting the hoses and using fittings with hose clamps though. I'd like to have custom hoses with AN fittings built up for it.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #370
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I got out on the trails some today. I hit some decent jumps and the bike did not cut out, so the new coil has fixed that problem.

Quote:
It seems to work just like the stock one. The bike still takes many kicks to start when cold (18 kicks this morning). I also have another problem: when the bike lands hard after a jump the engine cuts out, usually for just one cycle, and then it backfires and keeps running. This really seems like the spark is cutting out to me. Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #371
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

My next problem...

When I'm riding at full throttle for more than about 10 seconds the bike starts to loose power, kind of like it's running out of fuel. It never completely dies on me, but power is definitely down. Fuel flow from the petcock is good, so I'm not sure what else could cause this. Suggestions?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #372
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,298
Mate I know your carb is all clean and the little crap is taken care of so I would try going 1 up on the main jet .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #373
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Mate I know your carb is all clean and the little crap is taken care of so I would try going 1 up on the main jet .
Sounds logical. I'll give it a try.

I've got the pumper carb and currently have a 132 main. What do you run?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #374
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,298
Remember mine is a 450 so I am now up at 145 I believe .

Just go up one step and if it makes it better try going up again till it flattens out .If it gets worse on the first step up go one down from what you have in it now .

Shit I forgot yours is now a 440 so you should be similar to me in jetting .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 08:13 PM
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #375
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
When I'm riding at full throttle for more than about 10 seconds the bike starts to loose power, kind of like it's running out of fuel. It never completely dies on me, but power is definitely down. Fuel flow from the petcock is good, so I'm not sure what else could cause this. Suggestions?
I've figured out the problem. When Airvent was here last year I was jealous of how incredibly quite his bike was. His intake/exhaust is bone stock down to the airbox snorkel. My bike is quieter than probably 70% of the other bikes I cross on the trails, but I'm always looking for a higher ninja factor.

I found an unmodified airbox on eBay and put it on my bike last winter. The sound difference was noticeable, but it did not make by bike near as quite as Airvent's. At this point, the only things different between my intake/exhaust and Airvent's were the carbs (pumper vs CV) and my 440 big bore kit. I assume the carb makes no sound difference. I'm really surprised the big bore kit would have this much impact on noise.

Stock airbox opening with rubber snorkel sitting on the side:

Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe the airbox was causing my WOT issue so I removed the side number plate and filter access panel to create a giant hole for the engine to breath through and took the bike for a spin... no more WOT issues, but the bike was very loud. So I went home and re-installed my modified airbox and everything is back to normal.

So what was happening was the stock airbox was not delivering enough air at WOT and creating extra manifold vacuum pressure. The excess vacuum was sucking in too much fuel, to the point that the engine would misfire.

My modified airbox back in the bike:

There is also a noticeable power difference at all RPMs with the stock vs modified airbox.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 03:44 PM