ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
worldrider555 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Bucks County PA Off Road Riding

Hello all, I just picked up a new to me dr350 and am itching to try it offroad. I live in Quakertown, in upper bucks county Pa and I'm having a hard time finding any decent trails in this area. Can anyone help me out, I am looking to find any kind of trails, beginner trails are fine.

Thanks alot guys
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
steve68steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I'm sure there's a lot of stuff in Bucks county, but if you're willing to come west a bit, there's a bunch of gravely roads South of Emmaus. If you want to take a longer ride, there's a lot of dirt/ gravel roads up around Blue Mountain, Leaser Lake... places like that.

Most state game lands will have dirt roads cutting thru them - they're legal to ride if your bike is tagged for street use. I'd check around Nockamixon for that - isn't there one just north east of the lake itself? I use to shoot there at a public range, which I've heard has since closed. Google maps satellite view is your friend.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
worldrider555 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey steve, thanks alot. I appreciate the input, Ill check out nockamixon. Do you know of any legitimate trails in the area. I tried searching online but can't find anything reasonably close.

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
State Forest Lands- Not State Game Lands

Just want to set the record straight.
State Game Lands in PA are off limits to motorcycles or any other form of motorized vehicles unless you are a registered disabled hunter. State FOREST Lands do have roads that are open for motorized transportation. The best state forest roads are up near State College 7 Mountains area.

I ride some State Forest roads in Schuylkill and Dauphin counties. The're not long roads but are closer than Seven Mts.

Terry
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555
Hello all, I just picked up a new to me dr350 and am itching to try it offroad. I live in Quakertown, in upper bucks county Pa and I'm having a hard time finding any decent trails in this area. Can anyone help me out, I am looking to find any kind of trails, beginner trails are fine.

Thanks alot guys
Hey neighbor!
Not much in the way of legal trails around us. Lots of geat dirt roads to the east of us in Upper Black Eddy, Ferndale etc. Shoot me a PM and we will hook up one afternoon and take a ride.

I usually post a fall ride in Bucks early in Oct too, we hit several stream crossings and a lot of good dirt roads.

Also, I am working on putting in a small track in at my place, maybe you should swing by when it is done and help beak it in

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
worldrider555 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the invite. I will definitely do my best to go on the october ride. Right now I have just been having a blast tooling around town and in backyard. Cant wait to get out on some good dirt roads.

THanks again
Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 505
bucks cty dual sport

i have been riding dual sport in bucks cty for a long time and know most of the dirt roads. there arent alot of long dirt roads but you can have fun connecting them all including a couple water crossings. there are a lot of gravel roads too. i have a few different loops i would be happy to share with you. i usually ride them sat and sundays am. there are also some decent dirt roads north of boyertown. let me know if you want to meet up....

Quote:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the invite. I will definitely do my best to go on the october ride. Right now I have just been having a blast tooling around town and in backyard. Cant wait to get out on some good dirt roads.

THanks again
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
worldrider555 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi gkaan,
Thanks for the offer, hopefully I can meet up with you one day. Let me know when your heading out next for a ride and hopefully I can tag along.

Thanks alot guys
Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Hi gkaan,
Thanks for the offer, hopefully I can meet up with you one day. Let me know when your heading out next for a ride and hopefully I can tag along.

Thanks alot guys
Speaking of tagging along, could you guys keep this thread updated if you do head out for a ride? I'm in West Chester and would like to ride with you.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek
Speaking of tagging along, could you guys keep this thread updated if you do head out for a ride? I'm in West Chester and would like to ride with you.
+1

I'm in a NW Philly suburb and it would be nice to practice dirt without riding 2 hours to get there. My buddy and I recently picked up DRZ400's.

I've ridden a couple gravel stretches out near Chester Springs and in the hills near Unami creek, but they are all short stretches.

Its probably not legal, and i don't want to step on local toes, but there is a nice stretch of abandoned railroad bed and some trails cut in on the south side of the river in the shadow of Limerick. I made it half way across the river before bailing and turning back. haha

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 505
i had knee surgery earlier this week and will not be doing much riding....maybe next sat am?

I'm in a NW Philly suburb and it would be nice to practice dirt without riding 2 hours to get there. My buddy and I recently picked up DRZ400's.

I've ridden a couple gravel stretches out near Chester Springs and in the hills near Unami creek, but they are all short stretches.

Its probably not legal, and i don't want to step on local toes, but there is a nice stretch of abandoned railroad bed and some trails cut in on the south side of the river in the shadow of Limerick. I made it half way across the river before bailing and turning back. haha[/quote]
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
thetoecutter
Cutter of Toes

Oddometer: 1,814
Langhorne area here. Be downfor a ride next Sunday am if some of you guys want to meet up.

thetoecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #13
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I'll add a "me too" to this thread. I'm in Delaware County and just picked up a DRZ, I'd love to join you guys who know the area better. Next weekend would probably be good!
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
flyjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Mr. Upper Black Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher
Hey neighbor!
Not much in the way of legal trails around us. Lots of geat dirt roads to the east of us in Upper Black Eddy, Ferndale etc. Shoot me a PM and we will hook up one afternoon and take a ride.

I usually post a fall ride in Bucks early in Oct too, we hit several stream crossings and a lot of good dirt roads.

Also, I am working on putting in a small track in at my place, maybe you should swing by when it is done and help beak it in

Eric
Hey I live in Upper Black Eddy, whenever somebody asks me where i live I tell them and their response is huuuh. there are some cool roads around me I too know them pretty well. post here sometimes and we could all rally around some, and make some dust. good meeting spot is at vansant airport in erwinna on cafferty rd off of headquarters rd
flyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
flyjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
dirt roads in upper black eddy and surrounding

Quote:

Thanks alot guys
All you have to do is open up mapquest or whatever, and type in the underlined road name most are in Ottsville, Tinicum, Upper Black Eddy, Bridgeton, Kintnersville, Durham, Springtown

Roaring rocks rd off of perry auger rd it is however a dead end eventually so make noise on the way back out after you turn around.
lodi hill rd. in between chestnut ridge rd and red cliff rd. (not way long but still fun)
Jugtown hill rd off of river rd there is a bridge on this road it is a excellent jump but be careful no one is coming it is one lane better going down you can see traffic more clearly (not dirt however).
old canal lane off of jugtown hill rd the uhlerstown covered bridge is right there. go back up uhlerstown hill rd. (not dirt however it is very tight and steep)
make a left onto upper tinicum church rd then 1st right is another different Roaring rocks rd shorter than the first it too is a dead end (they built the rd starting at 2 different ends and never completed it)
Permanent school rd (dirt off of geigel hill rd)
Tettemer rd. (dirt) your close to vansant airport check it out airplanes, gliders, bikes, and hotdogs oh my
Ropewalk rd (dirt also off of geigel hill rd)
Tammany rd (dirt off of rock ridge road)
Ridge valley rd and Tankhannen rd (both dirt also off of geigel hill rd)
Bunker hill rd (dirt with 2 creek crossings very fun)
Sheep hole rd (dirt, might be difficult to get there depending on how you go also off of Geigel Hill rd). Gives your bike a nice red dust color when your done with that road.
Municipal rd (dirt another creek crossing road this one normally I think is deeper) in between headquarters rd and Hollow horn rd(cop shop is nearby here careful) but its alright don't be afraid
Stagecoach rd (dirt)
Mt Airy rd (dirt)
Tory rd (dirt only a very small portion is dirt, check out the cliffs at ralph stover park) yes you have to walk to find them no riding there.
Covered bridge rd (dirt another side of the park by a stream bring your collapsible pole and go fishing plenty of people do)
Randts Mill rd (dirt)
Oak Grove rd (dirt)
Quarry rd (dirt)
Tower rd (dirt) get gas at the turkey hill or a drink if need be
Fink drive (dirt)
Berger rd (dirt short section at the bottom of the hill gets rutted up)
Woodland drive (dirt off of marienstein rd check out ringing rocks park while you are there, giant boulder field from glaciers which you hop from rock to rock see if you also can't find the waterfall during a walk around the trails.)
Sunday rd (dirt in kintnersville I think the best is to climb the hill)
Coon hollow rd (dirt)
Dogwood lane, Funks mill rd, haupts bridge rd (I think at least one is dirt if not all I can not remember in durham or springtown
Springhouse lane (dirt)

This should get you or anybody else reading this a good head start on where to go. There are more but these are most in the area that I can remember off hand.

You might have to reorder some of these roads in order to make a good seemless ride. some are listed in close proximity to the next road, some are just there in random order as they popped into my head

I just gave up my favorite riding roads. People in the local nearby areas of Bucks county or Lehigh county give up your's too, as I am always looking for new places to explore that are resonably close.
flyjay is offline   Reply With Quote