Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #151
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
I haven't tried in another map software yet.
It is a good ride report.

David
thanks. everything shows up on garmin, including Longue Pointe if you zoom in.

overview maps and road guides to the northern quebec roads here. 389 not included.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/index.html

know your range if on those roads, not much for fuel.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #152
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Cool bikes; excellent RR! Thanks!

BigFeet
thanks. i'm about to tear that bike down and start over. bike ran really well on those roads, but i have some other things i want to try.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #153
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Okay, I'll quit whining and do some leg work myself. Here is what I could find in Google Maps.

I couldn't find the North Road on Google Maps.

From your link, there is a map of Quebec that has all the roads you've been talking about.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/maps/car...Quebec_11M.pdf

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT

MTrider16 screwed with this post 10-13-2010 at 09:10 PM
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #154
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Okay, I'll quit whining and do some leg work myself. Here is what I could find in Google Maps.

From your link, there is a map of Quebec that has all the roads you've been talking about.

David
from the intersection of the Baie-James/Chisasibi road, the Longue Pointe road starts at the dam which is about half way to Chisasibi. i didn't go into Chisasibi, preferring the bush road instead out to the coast of James Bay.

the Rout du Nord intersects the Baie-James about 175 miles above Matagami and from that point runs generally southeast to the intersection with pavement above Chibougamau, about 250 miles.

it doesn't look like all that much on an overview map, but there's some miles there, and some of those riding days are all gravel, or mostly gravel.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #155
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 336
What is the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
Sweet looking bike! ADV sticker right on the engine?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the bike - I can't recognise what make/model it is? Cheers from a curious Kiwi...
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #156
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the bike - I can't recognise what make/model it is?
it's a kawasaki 650R, with some changes made. outside the States, it would be called an EX650, or ER6F.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #157
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
from the intersection of the Baie-James/Chisasibi road, the Longue Pointe road starts at the dam which is about half way to Chisasibi. i didn't go into Chisasibi, preferring the bush road instead out to the coast of James Bay.

the Rout du Nord intersects the Baie-James about 175 miles above Matagami and from that point runs generally southeast to the intersection with pavement above Chibougamau, about 250 miles.

it doesn't look like all that much on an overview map, but there's some miles there, and some of those riding days are all gravel, or mostly gravel.
There's lots of miles on that map. Its just not an accurate map. It was a quick search of the towns in google to give an overview of the area you were talking about.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #158
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 688
Perspective ...

Quote:

David
This is what I came up with too. The detail is crappy, so I would suggest contacting Quebec Tourism and NL tourism for better maps. I feel this is a great trip for someone to do, with a major detour to Fogo and chain island, and then St Johns, NL a must do add on in NL and Havre Saint-Pierre looks interesting too.

There are new (to me) detailed road map books in Nova Scotia with every little back road and nook and cranny on them. These would be available in other provinces too.

Thanks again for the RR JD. You are providing valuable info for the many who will come behind you.

Yellowknife
Old 10-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #159
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife
...I would suggest contacting Quebec Tourism and NL tourism for better maps...
i never did get a proper paper map for any roads in Quebec above Amos, the 109 and north. my paper "map" was the little overview map from the James Bay & Eeyou Istchee Tourist Region advertising handout that i got at the Baie-James gatehouse. i rode 1800 miles on that "map".

I did get the official Labrador/Newfoundland map from that park ranger, but by that time i was obviously already in Newfoundland, so i had crossed Labrador with no paper map.

it's hard to get lost when there's only one road.

plenty to see and do in the maritimes that i didn't get to on this trip. i tried to ride around all cities, i'd rather see the countryside.

glad you're enjoying the ride. hurricane coming over the horizon...
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #160
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 14: ate year="2010" day="3" month="9">Friday 9/3/10ate>-Burnt Cape, NL to Baie Verte, NL, 382 miles

I got up at 5 eastern time, but it already 6:30 local, I still don’t know about that extra 30 minute deal. The only comment I’ve heard about it so far was “Those bastards over in St. John’s did it”, but that wasn’t an explanation of why. The day is clear this morning, the sky as blue as it gets, and will make a great start. When I strap the spare TKC on the back, I realize that I’m sick of this stupid tire. One way or another I’m getting’ rid of this thing today, I ain’t carrying it around no mo even though the mounted rear has some miles left on it.

I backtrack down 430 and find time to stop to look at some things I couldn’t when I was northbound in the rain. The 430 points to at least two activities peculiar to this road. One is the unbelievable quantity of firewood that is cut and stacked along the road. It’s all spruce and cut free on Crown land, an economical way to heat if you don’t count your time.

The second is the highway garden, small plots along the road, usually fenced, and sometimes a good long ways from the nearest house. I’m not sure why these small gardens are out there rather than next to the house, but they’re plentiful.

Traffic has started very light on this sunny day, but builds gradually as the morning progresses. The road passes through a series of small towns dotting the coast, the towns all having a connection to the water. Conspicuous in all of these towns are the new homes, some with designs straight from the pages of Stateside magazines, indicating money coming home from the Alberta oil and gas operations. I was never able to get a handle on how many Newfys moved west permanently, or are working out there and flying back and forth, but it must be a significant number.

There are lobster pots stacked along the road, some guys are still around working the water. The land between the road and the water seems to be used as a general storage area for pots, firewood, and equipment.

Some old wooden skiffs have survived the transition to aluminum and fiberglass, but most were probably burned when they got in the way. You rarely find the graceful lines of these old boats in anything new. Back in the day, no waterman wanted to work out of an ugly boat, but now most are utilitarian designs so that issue is not as important.

Not all the small towns have fuel, so when I find an open station, it’s time to stop. Three ADV bikes go by in a blur northbound and I don’t get a good look at them, could be the Vermont boys, but missing one of the crew. Two older fellas are running the store, and we get a good run of stories going out at the pumps. One of the guys asks “Do ya have another pair of boots on under those or are those your feet”? Now hold on a minute here, what are these guys trying to tell me? “No boots, just feet and socks”, and they both start laughing, I guess they haven’t seen size 14s lately. We move story hour into the store, drink a bunch of their coffee, and try to outdo each other in the lies department. It was two agin’ one, but I was holdin’ my own. One of the old guys was a rider and complained that all the Harley riders around there would only give the low peace to other Harleys, except that some of those bikes were Jap look-alikes. Couldn’t say, most everyone waves to me. Gotta go my friends, and I’m southbound.

This is a scenic bike road and follows the coast closely enough to see the water most of the time.

Some small lakes are east of the road if you get tired of looking at the ocean.

The ocean to the west is spectacular on this sunny day.

The topography becomes more rugged again the farther south I get and closer to GrosMorneNational Park.

Fishing shacks are clustered on level ground with access, but some don’t look like they’re used much or at all anymore, too many men gone.

In the distance are huge headlands that must be landmarks for those at sea, but impressive by land also.

More fishing shacks and lobster pots as I move south…along with more traffic, and it’s getting less convenient to stop.

(To be continued…)
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #161
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 14: Continued

In for fuel and a sandwich across from a small lake that is also being used as a float plane base, hunters queuing up on the small pier as the Beaver comes and goes. The remote camp can’t be far as the plane is only gone for twenty minutes. I love float planes, been on a bunch across the north. When I ask my faded glory waitress about the moose hunters she says “Yeah, they got a camp back in there, I hope they shoot ‘em all”. Whoa, and I when I ask if she’s been involved in some recent moose carnage she said “Don’t get me started on that one”. Can’t blame her, a moose is about the worst animal to hit on the road, they tend to come right through the windshield. Ok, where’s my double cheeseburger? Pass me the ketchup.

Continuing south, this coastline is so rocky you wouldn’t want to be caught in the wrong place in rough weather.

Gros Morne has postcard views that I can’t get situated enough to photograph…and a golf course on 430 as you enter the park, damn, forgot my clubs. Traffic is solid and running 80mph, must be a long weekend, cars and trucks humming the Newfy version of that road rage song. On the gas so I don’t get run over, and I’m down to Deer Lake in no time, ready to take care of some business, I hope.

That spare tire had been nagging me since this morning and I still wanted to get it changed, but where? I get fuel at the place right below Highway 1, and they have a shop so I ask the service manager. No they won’t change a tire, but he directs me to a guy on the other side of DeerLake who changes tires. I wind my way through town, get lost, and then get a guide who leads me to the tire guy’s shop which happens to be his house. He says “I don’t work on bikes, never have, why’d anyone send ya here”? He’s right, all I see laying around are a bunch of dead weedeaters, WTF, that guy back at the fuel stop must have a sack of rocks between his ears. “So where can I get a tire changed”?, and I get directions to Simmons Tire, five doors down from where I started, hmmm, those people must not like each other.

There’s a cute young lady at the Simmons service counter when I come through the door, and I put the motorcycle tire question to her. “Let me ask the guys in back”, and she darts out into the shop area. This is a truck tire shop, I wasn’t hopeful, but she came back up front and said “No problem, take the bike around back, they’re waiting”. Those were the words I was hoping for, the magic ones. Three young guys were in the shop and were grinning when I rode up to the door, this must be an unusual assignment for them, hope they know bikes. The lead man was named Shawn Lavers, a rider himself, and they had the bike on jack stands and wheel off in no time.

There was a lot of hustling around, and the elapsed time from when I rolled in there to when I rolled out was 15 minutes, kinda like a timed pit stop. New valve stem too. The counter girl came by with my invoice, “Sorry, had to charge you the shop rate”, and when I look at the total, it’s $20.92. My my, that’s just plain outrageous, haaa! Extraordinarily nice people, and I told Shawn I’d make him famous. Need bike tire work at that intersection, go see Shawn.

When I call home to check in, I find that we have a brand new washing machine. Nothing in the way of appliances ever breaks down or gets hit by lighting when I’m at home, mysteriously the events all occur when I’m adventuring across the north. The house has all new appliances now, so the next time I leave I’m going to give my wife’s car a checkup…might still be the last time I ever see that car.

I wanted to go east, but not too far, since I was going to come back west to Port aux Basques for the ferry to Nova Scotia. I decided to ride the Baie Verte peninsula and take a look at some of those coastal villages towards the end. East on 1, traffic flying, then north on 410 out of the rat race. About half way up I find the commercial campground that was marked on the map, a young guy in charge. He was one of the few people I’ve met who had been to Alberta and didn’t like it, big money or not. I told him I wanted a nice quiet spot for the tent and he sets me up with a location that wasn’t even a regular camping area, thanks my friend. Six pack strapped on the bike and away I went, let’s find my spot and get set up. Twenty feet from the lake and nice thick grass, can’t complain, there’s no one else within 300 yards. Cold beer on a beauty of an evening, livin’ the life out on the road.

I’ve been in Newfoundland for only a day, but I remember what one of those old guys asked this morning when I stopped for fuel “Ya already seen enough to come back”? Yes, as a matter of fact, I have.

(To be continued…)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #162
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
There's lots of miles on that map. Its just not an accurate map. It was a quick search of the towns in google to give an overview of the area you were talking about.

David
you could ride to the end of the trans taiga, load the 800gs on that turbined Otter, fly over to shefferville, then south along the train tracks. that would be a route, someone is bound to try it.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #163
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 688
Weather ...

Quote:
hurricane coming over the horizon...
Yep - we are getting a noreaster and a weather bomb together. These are the best ones. pressure down 24 mb in 24 hours and winds at 60 to 80 mph. Hurricane winds in another county possible.

Next time the old fellas mention Harley guys not giving the low peace sign tell them to return the "your number one sign" anyways.

Yellowknife
Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #164
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
it's a kawasaki 650R, with some changes made. outside the States, it would be called an EX650, or ER6F.

"SOME" changes

Now that's funny.....I love it.

Yep! That thing is damn near stock, except for the knobby tires.
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #165
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife

Next time the old fellas mention Harley guys not giving the low peace sign tell them to return the "your number one sign" anyways.

Yellowknife
hey, i almost always get the sign from those guys, no need for that italian sign language stuff.

...at least i think it's the low peace, but my eyesight ain't what it used to be, could be the low fooyoo, who knows.