Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #166
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr
Yep! That thing is damn near stock, except for the knobby tires.
Dave, it's those tires, really, they cause a lot of confusion.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #167
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
When I call home to check in, I find that we have a brand new washing machine. Nothing in the way of appliances ever breaks down or gets hit by lighting when I’m at home, mysteriously the events all occur when I’m adventuring across the north. The house has all new appliances now, so the next time I leave I’m going to give my wife’s car a checkup…might still be the last time I ever see that car.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #168
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
it's a kawasaki 650R, with some changes made. outside the States, it would be called an EX650, or ER6F.
OK, the nija modified - some modification, looks really good. Have you posted elsewhere what you did to this bike? If not would you mind giving me the short run down of the mods..? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #169
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
...would you mind giving me the short run down of the mods..? Thanks.
here ya go, build is mixed in with some other things but you can skim over all that.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5480

here's another one built standard ride height by some friends for running some of our local gravel roads. the fabrication work is outstanding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608309

these bikes are a very inexpensive build in the States, any questions, just ask.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #170
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 392
thanks

that was an interesting read, thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #171
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Wow, jdrocks, that's some RR! When I grow up, I want to write like you do. Addictive; I could not stop reading - it's 4am now, I better go to sleep.

By the way, I had to nod knowingly when you described the various encounters with Quebecois women. So true - for example, I was passing through Val d'Or a few weeks ago and one of them offered to get on the pillion and go with me on a trip - it's just that there was no room on the bike among the camping gear... I am still smiling, thinking about the possibilities.

Great reporting and pix. It looks like I should go up the Trans-Lab again to check out the new section.

Thanks for the pleasure.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #172
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker

By the way, I had to nod knowingly when you described the various encounters with Quebecois women. So true - for example, I was passing through Val d'Or a few weeks ago and one of them offered to get on the pillion and go with me on a trip - it's just that there was no room on the bike among the camping gear... I am still smiling, thinking about the possibilities.
glad you're enjoying the report, a few more days to go.

there's something special about encountering beautiful women while out on these extended trips, and the gorgeous women of Quebec have a look all their own. "exotique" would be a start.

i mentioned this at the conclusion of my 2009 Canuckistan report, but didn't write about it in detail. maybe i should have, it belongs in the "stranger than strange" category.

...or the cute twenty something girl that wanted a ride on this sixty something's bike, except where she wanted to go was 100 miles away. "sorry darlin', there's no room for you.", and i got "i'll make room, you'll have fun, i promise." you might want to hear the ending to that one.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #173
Geezer1000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
Are you talking about Money Penny, the famous KLR rider from Eastern Labrador:
She's the hottie who rides

At the P&K store her mom owns.

Keep up the good work JD, it takes some quality time
Hubba hubba

Great rr btw
Geezer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #174
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
JD,

Here is the Alaska Trip report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629326

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #175
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer1000
Hubba hubba

from now on, my ride reports are only going to be about girls and gravel...that's all anyone wants to talk about.

for pete's sake, i do kinda remember seeing some other things on this trip besides girls and gravel...lucky for me, took notes.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #176
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
JD,

Here is the Alaska Trip report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629326

David
on it.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #177
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 15: Saturday 9/4/10-Baie Verte, NL to Cape St. George, NL, 346 miles

I put myself on Newfy time this morning, that one and a half hour deal, and was packed and gone at 7AM, idling out of the campground, no one else up. I wanted to ride straight up the peninsula, I had a feeling there were some things to see. I needed more time to do exactly this, explore.

Roads branch off this main artery east and west to the small villages along the coast. I pass the road to La Scie and will run out that road when I come back south, but my destination was Fleur-de-Lys at the end of the road. I stop for fuel at Baie Verte, and end up in a long informative conversation with the woman running the store, soon joined by two customers, and now we’re rolling. The subject of ferry reservations comes up, and there’s a hot button topic. The Newfys are incensed that the ferry regularly sails with less than capacity only because people don’t have reservations. Man, I don’t have a reservation myself, better get that fixed, and the manager gives me the phone number. The men said to expect bad weather this evening from the tail end of Hurricane Earl that had come all the way up from the Mid Atlantic Capes. Oh well, a hurricane is nothing new to me.

The 410 road continues north through low hills and steep grades. I’ve learned to be on the brakes as you top the crest, you never know what you’ll find ahead, sometimes nothing and sometimes this…

Looking to the horizon through the haze, the colors were as subtle as they were surreal. This is beautiful country.

A southbound tractor trailer dumps fish slime enhanced water as it climbs one of the grades with a load of iced fish, a new road hazard that would be hard to explain if you wrecked right there. Fleur-de-Lys is one of many villages with French names left over from the days when Basque fishermen populated the region. Almost every protected cove or bay was settled and Fleur-de-Lys is a good example as it lies tucked into the end of this sliver of sheltered water.

Like many of these villages, this one has seen better days, and while there is some activity it must be fraction of past years.

As commercial fishing activity ebbs, people would have to enjoy this harbor as a weekend location, it’s just a fantastic setting.

People have taken some trouble to get their shacks out to the edge of the water, any spot will do.

Some of the shacks come with their own resident raven.

Colors that might seem an odd choice in a different setting are at home here, a feast for the eye.

A quick backtrack down the 410 road to the La Scie turnoff, now I’m riding east towards CapeSt. John. This road is frost heaved, not too bad on a bike, not good at all on four wheels. At the top of the bluff overlooking La Scie, I find another natural harbor with much more activity this time.

This must be the commercial fishing hub of the peninsula, boats of all descriptions, processing facilities, and the usual support activities.

When I stop for fuel there’s a duffers bench outside the store, three middle age men sitting in the sun, expressions unhappy, perhaps dour. When I give a cheery hello, there’s no response. Sheeesh, either the freakin’ dog died, or I’ve just met my very first unfriendly Canuckistanians. Won’t ruin my day, not my nature.

The gasboy quickly makes up for the rude reception, and proves a quick wit with ready responses. He’s tried fishing but says “The catch is worse every year”. When I ask if he’s headed to Alberta along with everyone else he says “I’m thinkin’ about it”.

The harbor is a working waterfront, not a yacht club, so there’s plenty of junk lying around, typical everywhere you go, US or Canada. People stare and wave as I make the rounds, traveling bikes must not get out here often.

(To be continued…)
Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #178
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 15: Continued

Let’s run west and I’m backtracking over to 410, and then south. This peninsula has been settled for hundreds of years, but there’s still nothing out here. With no interior roads, the settlers stayed clustered on the coast. The interior has been consistently rugged terrain.

Soon I’m down to Highway 1, fuel and lunch. The intersection must have been called Sheppards Corner at one time, you can still see the name on the shed roof, a throwback to the early days of aviation.

No ferry reservation, better get one, and when I ask the gasboy about it he says “Ya better make one or you’re not getting’ on, here, use my phone”, and he hands his phone to me, a perfect stranger, as he walks away to pump more gas. I’m a trustworthy guy, must look that way too. Sometimes what you see really is what you get. Reservation made, I track him down to return the phone. “Much grass, amigo”, and he replied without a hitch “No problema”, but then a hearty laugh. Some of these kids are pretty damn sharp, and he drove off, shift over.

Time for lunch, except they were still serving breakfast, why not. My waitress was full of nervous energy, flying around with plates of food, the joint was packed. Sip of coffee, cup refilled, sip of water, glass refilled. If this was the States, someone might send her in for some random testing. She brought the first course, then the second course, yup, I really do eat like I’ve never seen food. Hadn’t seen much food so far today, for a fact. The replacement combo cashier and gasboy was a tidy little blond girl, cheerful, with a fresh smile. Some guys might call that desert, not me, pie was desert…this girl is something else altogether.

Gotta run, and I rode west wondering if that hurricane was going to cause me any problems. The weather was due this evening and I was scheduled to camp somewhere, the camping starting to look iffy at best. This road feels like the slab, traffic light, but fast. Past DeerLake and on to Corner Brook, some interesting sights along the way.

Corner Brook is at the head of Humber Arm, and has direct access to the ocean to the west. I’m not sure what gets shipped in and out of here, but it looks like a natural transit point.

A quick look around town, and there’s nothing here for me, let’s keep going. A quick stop at Canadian Tire for fuel and three separate guys come over to talk about the bike and the trip. I get an offer of $8000 for the bike “If I had the money…”, not bad for my $2000 bike, but it might feel like stealing. There was another bike there fueling, a Jap chopper with a sissy bar, but I didn’t get to talk with him…although I did see him fifteen minutes later peeing on the white line, oblivious to the traffic five feet away. Stupid look on his face as I went by, might be drunk, but at least it wasn’t a US plate on that POS. Damn, better not be thinkin’ stuff like that…after all, the Harley guys think my ride is a POS. Well, most of them anyway.

I’d looked at the map when I was up at L’Anse aux Meadows and the Port au PortPeninsula looked like a cool place to explore. Just because the thing sticks way the hell out in the ocean and there’s a hurricane rolling in…can’t let something like that hold me back, let’s ride. So that’s exactly what I did, rode headlong slam into a hurricane, hoping that net would catch me once again.

Cross country past Stephenville, this road is decent riding, but my mind was on the coast and the conditions I might find there. Over the causeway at Berry Head, then almost due west with the open expanse of St. George’sBay to the south. By the time I started 460 west, light rain was coming down and the wind was rising steadily, hmmm, this could be one of them there adventures. The road directly followed the water, and if I could keep the bike from being blown flat to the pavement, I could enjoy the increasingly stormy scene in front of me. No one else was stupid enough to be out there, I had the road to myself.

I expected there to be some motels or maybe a few B&B places along the road, so far nothing, and I was half way to Cape St. George, starting to think I might have a little problem finding a refuge to ride out the storm. Damn, this place is amazing, and the wind is starting to be a problem. It might blow 80mph, I sure as hell better get off this road.

I’m encouraged when I pass a sign that says “Inn at the Cape” with an arrow, but no distance. Could be on the other side of the Cape for all I know, and that’s when I happen on three teen girls walking towards me down the middle of the road, hurricane thrill seekers…like someone I know. They were surprised to see me out there and when I shut off the bike, they approached cautiously, not knowing what to expect. These were all good looking girls, two wide eyed and speechless, while the third was not the least intimidated, mainly spirited and chatty. Actually, she had me pegged, old as dirt and harmless. The girls knew where I wanted to go “That way, not far, 10 kilometers maybe”, thanks and off I went. When I checked the mirror, they were still waving.

When I find the Inn it’s up the hill opposite the ocean, and looks perfect. The owner comes out to meet me, and yes they do have a room. If the weather had been better, they would have been booked, it’s not a big place. The room rate is $80, but two meals included, dinner at 6:30, now you’re talkin’. The wind was strong enough to whistle in the wires now, and I find a place to park the bike behind some dense trees, hope it won’t blow over. There’s a hurricane sky, you don’t need the Weather Channel.

There were some other guests there, mainly Canadian, but also a couple from Nevada, the only others from the States. Some people with reservations couldn’t make the ferry crossing from Nova Scotia, bad for them, good for me. Wearing my only spare clothes for this semi formal sit down dinner, I was a little under dressed, but my congenial dinner companions didn’t seem to mind. I think I ate about $100 worth of food during this five course dinner, then I had a heart attack. Not really, but almost…they had five different kinds of homemade pie, and I tried them all.

I was all talked out, could barely stand, shuffled when I tried to walk. The wind was blowing in a low growl against the sides of the building and the lights were flickering, man, what a freakin’ night. I needed shelter and more or less stumbled in here, a near miss, caught by the net and my luck had held.

(To be continued…)
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #179
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 241
I gotta ask JD,
Would you honestly try that net of yours in very many other places?
It's easy for me to expect good fortune, since I'm from here.
Point in any direction and expect good receptions and warm smiles.
It takes a special kind of spirit to do the same in someone else's backyard...so, you know; I just gotta ask.

I rode through a hurricane some years back in Nova Scotia.
Raindrops the size of golf balls, coming in sideways, bike skittering across the road on corners praying for traction before the shoulder.
Got pulled over by a mountie, listened to a lecture on getting there in one piece as he wrote out a ticket...128 in an 80 zone...ouch.
That was all he could lock in on the radar, and he turned the readout to show me.
That was on a corner, he pointed out...couldn't get a reading on a straight.
The total at the bottom read: Warning Issued.

Slow your butt down, he said and turned his car around.
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #180
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingtazz
I gotta ask JD,
Would you honestly try that net of yours in very many other places?
everywhere. works outside of north america too.

no net, stay home.