User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #181
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Great Rr

jdrocks, goes without saying, but I will, you do rock! excellent RR! Nice bike to boot!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #182
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
i never did get a proper paper map for any roads in Quebec above Amos, the 109 and north. ...
I concur. Being a map fanatic, I actually researched cartography businesses in Montreal and spent half a day visiting them during my last stay in that city, late this summer.

No luck. My best map of Quebec is published by JDMGéo, but it also ends just above Matagami and Chibougamau.

Apparently, for most people, there is nothing of significance north from that point. Not for us, though!

There are survey maps (topo) available for the northern regions, but these are too detailed - and, together, too expensive to cover our long-distance routes.

rdwalker screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 07:37 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #183
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69
jdrocks, goes without saying, but I will, you do rock! excellent RR! Nice bike to boot!
thanks. more report on the way.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 AM   #184
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
I concur. Being a map fanatic, I actually researched cartography businesses in Montreal and spent half a day visiting them during my last stay in that city, late this summer.

No luck. My best map of Quebec is published by JDMGéo, but it also ends just above Matagami and Chibougamau.

Apparently, for most people, there is nothing of significance north from that point. Not for us, though!

There are survey maps (topo) available for the northern regions, but these are too detailed - and, together, too expensive to cover our long-distance routes.
i did print the road guides and brought them with me. combined with the tourist overview, that's about all you need. handy narrative for features along the road, also checking distances to fuel.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #185
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i did print the road guides and brought them with me. combined with the tourist overview, that's about all you need. handy narrative for features along the road, also checking distances to fuel.
Yes, I did the same for Trans-Lab and for James Bay rides: Walter Muma's sites are very useful for that.

It's just that I really love the feeling of reading/exploring a paper map. I was very disappointed in not finding a general-purpose map that would reach at least up to latitude 55 N.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #186
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

It's just that I really love the feeling of reading/exploring a paper map...
even the guy manning the Baie-James gatehouse who was so insistant that i get my name in the log book said in his accented english "i know you don't have a map..." and gave me the tourist guide.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #187
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
even the guy manning the Baie-James gatehouse who was so insistant that i get my name in the log book said in his accented english "i know you don't have a map..." and gave me the tourist guide.
Was it an elderly guy (if I say so myself...)? If so, I probably encountered him as well. He was trying to be super helpful. I do not know if this was in general, or if he specifically wanted to assist a motorcyclist.

Called me back twice inside to give me more maps and tourist brochures, marked up distances to gas stations toward Amos, etc.

I did not have the heart to refuse, even though I was set by then (and had my riding gear all buttoned up).

rdwalker screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 08:28 PM
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #188
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Was it an elderly guy (if I say so myself...)?...
same guy. i was going to ride right through, but he was waving at me like a maniac from the gatehouse. figured i better go see what he wanted, i think he wanted someone to talk to as much as anything.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #189
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
here ya go, build is mixed in with some other things but you can skim over all that.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5480

here's another one built standard ride height by some friends for running some of our local gravel roads. the fabrication work is outstanding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608309

these bikes are a very inexpensive build in the States, any questions, just ask.
1st time i saw this bike on the pages of this thread I though it was prety cool looking.

after looking at your build report i am thinking winter project.

what or why did you chose a the 650R ?

what did you ride befor this bike ?
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #190
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer
after looking at your build report i am thinking winter project.
go for it, the design is proven at this point. when you consider what these bikes will do and where they will reliably go, along with the turnkey cost, tough to beat.

any questions on the build, just ask.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #191
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

double post, blah

jdrocks screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 06:55 PM
Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #192
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 16: Sunday 9/5/10-Cape St. George, NL to J.T.CheesemanProvincialPark, NL, 174 miles

When I got up early the next morning the sky had cleared and the sun was trying to peak through the haze. Besides the owners, I was the only one up and about. The power was off, didn’t bother me, I had been camping on and off, this was like camping with a nice roof over my head. The owner said that the power had been off five times through the storm, and he didn’t expect it to be off much longer. Sure enough, 10 minutes later the power was on and things were back to normal. What’s for breakfast?

The chef stocked the breakfast buffet with a big selection and in general, it was another great meal seated with different guests this time. By the time you eat the two included meals your room is free. Big breakfast, sunshine, and in no hurry since I just had to get down near the ferry, this was going to be a fun day.

My Canadian breakfast compansions were from all over Canada, and most had traveled in the States and knew their way around. Virginia, been there, Washington, DC, been there. Route 66, been there, just like the song.

I was having a final cup of coffee when I was approached by a dapper 72 year old Frenchman from Ottawa who wanted to talk about both the trip and my bike. He spoke accented English, mentioned his age right off the bat, and went on to say that he just bought another new bike this year, a Harley cruiser. Wow, but there was more to come. He had ridden to Alaska last year and had been many of the places I had. He used to ride a Gold Wing but had to switch to something a little lighter after his hip replacement. I had to laugh…just shoot me if I complain about being a little sore after a long day in the saddle.

This was a lively conversation and he would interrupt me mid sentence to correct my atrocious French and then say “Yes, please continue” every time. He ended up saying that a lot. When I told him where I crossed the Ottawa River, it turned out that he knew the Frenchman who operates the ferry quite well, how ‘bout that. He showed me the photo he had already taken of my bike to show his friends when he got home, amazing, age is whatever you make of it. His friends were anxious to go, otherwise we might have talked from another hour, this was an interesting guy. Free French lesson too, he didn’t mind me practicing. Goodbye my friend, we might meet out there, you never know.

I was packed and it was time to go myself. The bike had come through the storm without blowing over, but the salt spray had produced surface rust on any exposed steel, including the brake rotors. I couldn’t find the owners to thank them, and got on the bike to start down the hill…and the owner nearly hit me head on coming up the driveway, close call.

The 460 road follows the coast and this whole peninsula looks like one huge chunk of rock.

I’m sure glad I came out here, and it’s convenient when the coastal road actually follows the coast, not always the case in some other places.

Like other areas I had passed in Newfoundland, there are clusters of homes, but then largely nothing else out here in this wind swept expanse.

Unbelievable views even opposite the ocean, it doesn’t matter where you look, the reward is there.

The leftover mist is burning off and now you can see things out on the ocean that were just shadows before.

Back down the steep grade and surrounded by grassy fields, signs of civilization, I sure like that red against the multicolor ocean background.

I’m sure the local people take these majestic rocky headland scenes for granted, but damn, I just can’t ride by them without stopping.

The terrain flattened out coming around the Cape, the road twisty with no traffic. If you don’t feel insanely alive in the sun and on this road, have someone put a tape measure up against you…and order the coffin.

When I get to Lourdes, I keep going out the road towards Black Duck rather than turning back south to connect with 460, might just as well see what’s out there. The landings along this road that served the local fisherman did not show much in the way of overwash or storm damage.

The only real evidence that a storm had come through was the silty ocean water along the shoreline. More fishing shacks along this skinny peninsula, and of all these shacks I’ve passed, I still haven’t seen a single one in use.

More twisty road and now I’m ready to make my way back east to connect with Highway 1 and south.

Through Stephenville and a back road that takes me along abandoned runways at the airport, then along the coast road at Stephenville Crossing where salt spray fills the air and the wind almost blows me off the road, I connect back up with 1, the slab. Geez, what a comedown from the Cape.

The slab is full of fast traffic and I’m watching my one and only mirror when I see some riders coming up fast, southbound, it’s the Vermont boys minus one. I’m never surprised when these things happen up here. In this case, few roads on an island, and the ferries are the only way off…well, the only pleasant way off. These guys are flying, faster than I normally cruise, and I let them go, maybe I’ll see them later. The traffic bunches up and now I’m right with them when they stop for fuel, a mini reunion.

So where’s Martin, the 12GS rider? He had split from the group at St. Barbe and caught an earlier ferry to Nova Scotia to pick up his wife who was flying in from New York. Lucky he got across before the storm. The Vermonters were going to camp at the Cheeseman Provincial Park near Port-aux Basques, and give me the ok to tag along, see ya’ later, and away they go.

Now just a short ride to the Park and there are some things to see along the way.

I’m about to leave this island, and I’m short around a thousand photos, what a loss.

Down the road to what looks like the Park entrance to me, except that it wasn’t, lost again. How many times does that make? When I stop to ask some kids where the Park was I get “Take the goat track, over that way”, how bad could a goat track be? Guess…and I passed some little car on the same piece of road crawling along and getting beat to bits, the back way, and eventually found the Vermont crew again, camping next door down.

Mark comes over for a chat, and the subjects range far and wide. His day job involves professional graphics work for some well known names, I think I’ve seen it on TV, or in print media. The talk comes around to bikes and roads, also riders…it’s a wild game we play at across the north country, thrills and spills, back for more. Then more again.

The boys are drinkin’ Screech around the campfire, a low murmur of conversation, an occasional laugh. Me, I’m lying flat on the ground in my tent, content in dreams of past adventures, visions of far off places.

(To be continued…)
Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #193
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,172
Awesome!

JD,

If I hadn't said it before, the thread is just AWESOME . Larry and I are setting Newfoundland and Labrador as our destination for our annual bike trip next year. I'll paying very close attention to your details.

Great Pics.

Great Thread.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #194
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain
JD,

If I hadn't said it before, the thread is just AWESOME . Larry and I are setting Newfoundland and Labrador as our destination for our annual bike trip next year. I'll paying very close attention to your details.

Great Pics.

Great Thread.

thanks, these trips have a little bit of everything going on, fun to tell the story.

your 2011 destination is right in your neighborhood, a great place to ride. let the trip planning begin!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #195
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:

If you don’t feel insanely alive in the sun and on this road, have someone put a tape measure up against you…and order the coffin.
wordsmith I tell ya
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote