Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #241
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,483
You guys are funny. I don't think there were any chicks attracted to my bike.

Anyway, your going to keep dragging this RR out with all this jabbering JD, I've finished copying mine.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #242
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
You guys are funny. I don't think there were any chicks attracted to my bike.

Anyway, your going to keep dragging this RR out with all this jabbering JD, I've finished copying mine.

David
yeah, i was distracted by those spy photos, now i have to get back to writing.

stay tuned. i meet possum man and the scooter boy.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #243
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
hot off the wire, SPY PHOTOS FROM MONTREAL!

that beat up 800 really is a chick magnet.
You are not far off. I call my bike Herman, but the full name is actually Pee Em Herman. Can you figure out what the PM part stands for? Hint: Borat buying a car.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #244
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT
You are not far off. I call my bike Herman, but the full name is actually Pee Em Herman. Can you figure out what the PM part stands for? Hint: Borat buying a car.
ya got me there, i never would have thought to name a bike after Pee Wee Herman, who incidentally is in the midst of another comeback on Broadway.

haven't had time to write, busy with work...and dreaming up the next bike build for this winter. i need to find some cheap parts, but this next ER6 iteration might be a monster.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #245
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 19: Wednesday 9/8/10-Sherbrooke, NS, to St. Stephen, NB. 451 miles

I was up and out early, wanting to be over at the Maine border area at the end of the day. The motel was “No Smoking”, but at 4AM some people were right outside puffing away and the smoke filled my room through the open windows. Damn, I hate that, but I was ready to get up anyway. No vehicles moved, they might have been motel employees, worse yet.

The plan is to ride the coast road west and then turn north somewhere before Halifax, cross into New Brunswick, continuing west. Let’s go, I’m really ready to ride. The road takes me by the cabin I stayed at decades ago, the river seemed big then, but small now. I’ve seen and been on many more big rivers in the intervening years I guess. Never the less, it’s still an inviting setting.

The morning has some stray sun poking through the clouds, a wonderful time to be back on the bike. The air was so crisp it seemed to crackle when you breathed. Solid spruce along the road, then occasional wood smoke from an early riser taking off the chill. Once again the road does not follow the water, but there was enough going on to keep it interesting. Occasional villages, with the off and on indicators of prosperity. I really need to talk to a local and find out some answers to this mystery.

More and more road construction as I get farther west and closer to Halifax, enough small projects to keep traffic crawling along. Another noticeable change is the gradual gentrification as the area gets into commuting and second home range of the Halifax residents.

I decide to stop for fuel in SheetHarbour, and damn, the whole town is all torn up with construction work. Picked a station and pull up to the pumps, start fueling, and then get a look at the guy on the other side putting gas in a beat pickup. It’s the Possum Man. Huh? I swear the guy kept his pet possum in those baggy pants…or else those hands were playing with something else in there. If it was a possum, that might be an explanation for what bit a big chunk off his nose and lopped off half his left ear. The guy was a positive fright. He pulled his hands out of his pockets for a second to light a cigarette and park it in his mouth, then went back to the possum. Better move the bike in case things go up in flames.

Two 30ish gals are at the counter when I go in, “Do ya know that guy at the pumps”? One girl says “Well, ah, ah…”, but before she could continue the other one chimed in with an abrupt “No”. Hmmm, maybe his name is Freddie, looks the part. Ok, lets get directions. “How far is the 224 turnoff”? I get blanks looks before one says “Maybe ten K”. It must have been a tough question, but 224 is about the only road running generally north in the area. When I left, the Possum Man was still at the pumps…entertaining himself with the possum, or whatever.

Back on the bike, weaving through construction, I find the 224 turnoff a half mile away. Weird, I have no idea what that was all about. This highway runs through a wooded coastal plain and then over small hills into the valley beyond. I see another wolf, but it jumps back in the woods, they must get shot at to be that shy. This is another road that is in need of maintenance, a potholed and patched surface.

The valley is farm country, big and small. Hay, cattle, some confined operations, and I find myself riding along behind a tractor pulling one of those huge liquid manure honey wagons, no opportunity to pass. It was a warm day, the smell was overwhelming. Farmers would say that it’s the smell of money in the bank. Freakin’ A, glad I don’t bank there. When the farmer turns into the lane at the farm, the liquid manure lagoon is just a stones throw from the house. I bet the neighbors drop in for coffee all the time.

I had lost the little sun I started with by this point, and looking west, well, it didn’t look so hot thataway. Crosscountry runnin’ northwest and I hit Highway 102 south of Truro after passing through towns with some colorful names like Upper Musquadoboit and Middle Stewiacke. This road was a slab equivalent with plenty of traffic, not surprising since it was the main connector to Halifax and the coast. Just past Truro is the intersection with Highway 104, and now the New Brunswick border is in sight.

Fuel and lunch near Amherst, and as I’m about to leave an elderly Nova Scotia fella comes over to look at the bike. A fine gentleman and ex rider, he still has a bike in the garage but can’t get aboard any longer due to some ailments. He can’t bear to part with his machine, must be memories of better days invested there. He’s very interested in all the places I’ve been across Canada, including this trip. The conversations drifts across the issues of the day, and then we part with a handshake. So long my friend, I’ve enjoyed every minute.

Just before the New Brunswick border I pass a 650GS with an ADV sticker on the black panniers, but I never see him again. The VisitorCenter is open and I get a new map, plus some advice from the nice lady on the start of the Lighthouse Trail. I should have listened. The trail is a route sans lighthouses, but I wouldn’t find out about that small detail until later. This route is actually more like a country road than a coastal road and a light rain had started. Here we go.

By the time I made a loop up and through Mocton, the rain was coming down in buckets and I knew I had made a bad choice on the start of this so called Trail, but what the heck, let’s ride on down to the Fundy National Park, see how the tide is running. This road might be more interesting if it wasn’t raining, but it rains all the way down to the Park entrance and then lets up a bit. The tide is out and I don’t have time to wait for it to come rushing back in.

The fishing boats are designed to prevent damage when they end up parked between tides.

I get fuel right there at Alma and the attached store has a selection of just about everything, including liquor. When I remark on that to the cashier girl, she says “Yup, ya could stock up the man cave and lock yourself right in there for awhile”. Man, a perceptive young lady. As I was leaving, a guy from Maine came over to talk. He and his wife were on their way up to drive the Cabot Trail. He used to be in the powersports business and we talk about the old stockpiles of new snowmobiles I had seen farther north. He gives me info on a few roads in Maine, and we’re off in opposite directions. When I pass the park kiosk it starts to rain again and this time it didn’t stop, but only got worse. No more sightseeing today, and I was on the gas real hard, running for the USA border.

I rode northwest up to Highway 2 where I saw some dual sport bikes parked under a highway bridge waiting out the monsoon, then west towards Fredericton, and finally south on Highway 3. I should have stopped for fuel somewhere before I headed south, there was just nothing out there at the start of that road. I had one can of fuel on board, hope it would be enough. Just when I was considering the possibilities, I went down a grade and the fuel light came on. Just great, especially when I’m drowning out here.

I was finally in an area that had some decent saw timber instead of just pulp type thinnings, but I also got a parade of log trucks making for a difficult ride now. The heavy trucks had beaten down the pavement under the wheels in both directions and the road surface held a river of water in these, what a freakin’ pain in the ass. You couldn’t ride anywhere but on top of the crown in the lane and if you drifted off that crown carrying any kind of speed…man, some consequences there. The road became so beat up that I decided to try the centerline and quickly found out that the line paint they used was made from a mixture of lard and yellow house paint, the slickest paint I’ve ever seen, couldn’t ride there either. Did I mention I was soaking wet again in my waterproof gear?

I slowed down, and was limping along when I stopped in the middle of the road to ask a guy about the next fuel. He had run out to get the mail, now he was wet too, but I got directions. Much grass, considerate of the guy, but when I get the distance he gave, no fuel. WTF? Now I stop again and ask a gal walking along in the rain, no umbrella, no rain coat...soaking wet, headlights on. You need to accept these small gifts wherever you find them. Now fuel is ten minutes ahead, thanks, but by the time I shift into 6th, there’s the fuel and I’m on the brakes. Geez, maybe she meant you could walk there in ten minutes.

Fueled up and went inside for a cup of coffee, dripping water all over the floor. If I stood in one place too long a small pond was created, much longer and someone would need to put a name on that lake. A cheery gal came in to pay for fuel, turned to me as I stood there in my little lake and said “You wet”? Blonds, gotta love ‘em.

The guy running the station said the drive time to St. Stephen was an hour. Screw that. I got back on the bike and thirty minutes later I pulled into an old time motel in St. Stephen just as the rain ended. I tried to get a senior discount again with a claim of 150, but the gal at the desk replied “Yeah, you look all of 150, but our senior discount doesn’t kick in ‘til ya hit 200. Would you like to make a reservation”. Damn, can’t catch a break, but at least I get the loan of a big hair dryer to dry out my camera.

Wet gear scattered all over the room, I’m going through a deli platter and a sixpack like I hadn’t seen either for a long time. Back across the border in the morning, I always have mixed feelings…one world to another, one life to another.

(To be continued…)
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #246
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Hey, your back. Nice update to celebrate the new software changes around here.

David
Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #247
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 793
he back
Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #248
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i figured you guys needed some entertainment...winter comin' on and all.

besides, my 90 y/o uncle has demanded a color copy of the finished report. he's still trying to find some of those places on his new national geographic maps. when i told him he would have it soon, i get a phone call 48 hours later "Son, checked the mail, ain't there".

stay tuned to meet the Scooter Boy.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #249
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
indeed

thank you sir
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #250
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i figured you guys needed some entertainment...winter comin' on and all.

besides, my 90 y/o uncle has demanded a color copy of the finished report. he's still trying to find some of those places on his new national geographic maps. when i told him he would have it soon, i get a phone call 48 hours later "Son, checked the mail, ain't there".

stay tuned to meet the Scooter Boy.
sounds like one of my phone calls from my mother
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #251
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Thanks for the entertainment factor.

David
Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #252
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Thanks for the entertainment factor.

David
...then you'll really like the Scooter Boy.

i cover some miles in the next two days, nary a dull moment.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #253
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i cover some miles in the next two days, nary a dull moment.

I've got my popcorn ready!

Are you starting on another build for 2011, or is this bike going to make it two years?

David
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #254
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I've got my popcorn ready!

Are you starting on another build for 2011, or is this bike going to make it two years?

David
all new build for 2011. no major parts reused from the earlier builds, that's the plan. already found a 2008 parts bike, so just need a few more things and i'm ready to start putting it together. a little different look, should be wild.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #255
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

I just saw a pic of a KLR with a ninja motor. Looked pretty good, but lots of frame work.

David