Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #256
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
EXOTIC EASTERN CANUCKISTAN-THE RETURN TO NORTHERN LATITUDES 2010

Provinces: Ontario, Quebec, Labrador/Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick

James Bay, Long Point, Trans Taiga, North Road, Trans Labrador, Viking Trail, Cabot Trail, and others.

8,142 miles, 2,017 miles on gravel roads

So after the debacle of getting underway last season where I spent all of a few hours getting the bike ready and packing for a 30 day northern trip, I was determined to do a much better job this time around.
JDROCKS,

dont know how I missed this one... several of my trip spots along with a couple I would like to do!

Got some catching up but am now subscribed!

Pat in NH

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #257
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I just saw a pic of a KLR with a ninja motor. Looked pretty good, but lots of frame work.

David
that beautiful ptwin powered KLR currently being documented in Beasts is more bike that i need for my trips, not that i would turn it away if someone handed it to me. i could build it i suppose, i have all the basic parts both KLR and 650R, but the bottom line is that i have been happy with the performance of my cheap ass gravel runner builds.

this 2008 parts bike will supply some of the main ingredients for the new build and they can be found just stupid cheap. heck, the nubs are still on the tires. this next build will be cheaper than the second, which in turn was cheaper than the first. the price of adventure is going down, i've learned a few things.

might have this new bike out your way in 2011, although travel plans not set quite yet.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #258
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH View Post
JDROCKS,

dont know how I missed this one... several of my trip spots along with a couple I would like to do!
welcome, i read your reports when they came out, and obviously we've covered some of the same ground. wonderful country to ride north of the border and you're homebased closer to the action than i am.

another thing we have in common is wrecking in the midst of a trip. my wreck is at the tail end of this 2009 report-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=canuckistan

I was up to the left rear corner of the cab when the driver made a sharp left turn towards an access road. This was no hay wagon turn, but it really didn’t matter. The bike hit the cab with decisive impact, and I was down in an instant. It happened so fast, I never even tapped the brakes.

I was down face first in that gravel intersection, slid a few feet and stopped. I had gone off the bike to the left, and was covered with dust and gravel. The bike was pinned under the hopper body and being dragged through the turn, the driver never stopped. I looked to my right and saw the trailer still moving over me, quickly rolled left, and the left rear tandems on the trailer just missed me. If I had been unable to move, the trailer would have run right over me. The truck finally stopped, but with a final lurch, the hopper gate controls raked down the exposed right side of the bike.

your bike was totaled, but you survived to ride again. mine was badly damaged, but i was uninjured. i can call up an image of those dual wheels on that grain body trailer comin' at me as i rolled around in the gravel...it takes only seconds.

read on, i land in new hampshire next.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #259
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i know, so far you haven't met scooter boy, or that runway girl and her boyfriend with the starched boxers that i nearly ran over in downtown Bennington, or the crack head girl in the clapped out Firebird that i did run into but only because she ran into me first, and i haven't had time to document getting lost in the US equivalent of bombed out Beirut...or tell you about the super spectacular sunset that welcomed me back to Virginia. other stuff too, i get a good laugh just reading my notes.

i've been busy, had to put down the pen. Sorry.

i did pick up a wrench or two, and got busy on the bike for this season...some progress, but still many items on the list. won't be too long.

i've also been thinking about destinations and routes. west and north, should be interesting.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #260
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,997

That is one heck of a post.

By the looks of that thing, I see spoked wheels in your future.

Quote:
i know, so far you haven't met scooter boy, or that runway girl and her boyfriend with the starched boxers that i nearly ran over in downtown Bennington, or the crack head girl in the clapped out Firebird that i did run into but only because she ran into me first, and i haven't had time to document getting lost in the US equivalent of bombed out Beirut...or tell you about the super spectacular sunset that welcomed me back to Virginia. other stuff too, i get a good laugh just reading my notes.

i've been busy, had to put down the pen. Sorry.

i did pick up a wrench or two, and got busy on the bike for this season...some progress, but still many items on the list. won't be too long.

i've also been thinking about destinations and routes. west and north, should be interesting.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #261
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post

That is one heck of a post.

By the looks of that thing, I see spoked wheels in your future.
no spokes!

ok, i should also tell you about final day backroads lunch stop with the wildest waitress ever. sunniest possible disposition, tremendously up beat, hearty laugh, knew the menu by heart, and had a big wide smile that went ear-to-ear...the only problem being that she owned a grand total of one tooth, an upper incisor. yeah, ya shouldn't stare, but that tooth kinda grabs your attention.

she was sneaking smokes behind the counter, wasn't supposed to, but did it anyway. when she smoked, she would trap the cig filter between the prized tooth and gum, smiling the whole time. i had to look, couldn't help it, except she caught me staring and now she's staring at me, eyes starting to get a little wild.

lordy, time to run. "check please".

left a nice tip in case she had, ya know, dreams of some nice cosmetic dental work.

next stop...Beirut.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #262
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Thanks for the tips. Great RR. A few of us are heading out to the Trans-Taiga come black fly season. This thread has helped out tremendously.
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' — not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #263
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardobibm View Post
...A few of us are heading out to the Trans-Taiga come black fly season...
it's a great ride, i love those big roads. note my comments on those soft sections in the road surface, "sand holes" as i call them.

bring a headnet for bug season, you'll need it.

work out the fuel situation in advance, especially at the end of the road.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #264
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Just like riding to Alaska, you can always wait until after the major bug season and go in late Aug and September, way less bugs that time of year
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #265
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Just like riding to Alaska, you can always wait until after the major bug season and go in late Aug and September, way less bugs that time of year
very true, and with caribou season starting in the northern zone, you can get fuel from the Air Saguenay float plane base in Caniapiscau.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #266
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
very true, and with caribou season starting in the northern zone, you can get fuel from the Air Saguenay float plane base in Caniapiscau.
IIRC my fuel bill there was approaching $7o something dollars for nearly 13 gals of fuel Some of the most expensive gas I've bought anywhere. If you go late enough you can get to see one of the greatest Caribou herds in the world, George Herd I think its called.

Looks like they where herding them with a snowsleds to get this shot
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #267
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
IIRC my fuel bill there was approaching $7o something dollars for nearly 13 gals of fuel Some of the most expensive gas I've bought anywhere.
i paid a similar price, cheap compared to what you will pay this season. the pump at the tank farm was sitting in a big puddle when i was there, so get off the bike and you were standing in water. i don't think that was blended fuel or maybe higher octane, strangely, there and Mirage was the best fuel on the whole trip.

where did you get that fuel bladder?

the interesting thing about the caribou photo is how their hooves flatten out, perfect for crossing muskeg and snow, swimming too.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #268
Ednukey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
where did you get that fuel bladder?
I was wondering the same thing myself.

This is what I found: http://www.turtlepac.com/products/co...uel-tanks.html

Me likee.
Ednukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #269
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

That's right, a turtle pac that I picked up used but still never used from a guy out of TX from here in the flea market here for a song compared to the new high dollar suckers. It was the toughest fully legal collapsible fuel container that I've found. That thing worked great just need a hose to funnel it in the tank.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #270
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
That's right, a turtle pac that I picked up used...
i thought about using one last season, but they were out of stock on the 12L. it was a different brand from australia.