Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer: 569

Great RR!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #47
Francis P Monaco
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'm not a guy who has even ridden a motorcycle before in my life (no joke) but reading these long road trip reports have entertained me for awhile, so I figured I should finally register just so that I can comment on a few of the reports.

I'm someone who'd love to drive both the Dempster and the Dalton-even if it's by car-and yet this is the first time I had ever heard of either the James Bay Road or the Trans-Taiga. The scenery there looks great and it sounds like you've met a cornucopia of people and have had many great experiences.

It's also great that you could mention seeing a random person walking on a road that fits the definition of "the middle of nowhere" and a forum can not only guess correctly who it was, but mention his job. That is pretty tremendous.

I'll be interested in hearing your further stories on this great trip.
Francis P Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #48
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 801
great report, I love Quebec,
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #49
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis P Monaco
I'm not a guy who has even ridden a motorcycle before in my life (no joke) but reading these long road trip reports have entertained me for awhile, so I figured I should finally register just so that I can comment on a few of the reports.

I'm someone who'd love to drive both the Dempster and the Dalton-even if it's by car-and yet this is the first time I had ever heard of either the James Bay Road or the Trans-Taiga. The scenery there looks great and it sounds like you've met a cornucopia of people and have had many great experiences.

It's also great that you could mention seeing a random person walking on a road that fits the definition of "the middle of nowhere" and a forum can not only guess correctly who it was, but mention his job. That is pretty tremendous.

I'll be interested in hearing your further stories on this great trip.
what a great post!

i've wondered myself what the non riding public would think about these ride reports. far from being about motorcycles, the reports are a rolling travel directory, full of adventure, drama, and insight into the human condition. a pleasure to read, beats wasting any time with TV.

there's only one thing for you to do and that's to plan a trip. Canada has to be one of the best places on earth to tour, a vast country, and the people unfailingly friendly and helpful. an SUV or pickup would work better on those big gravel roads.

across the north there are few roads and few people. to see someone walking on a bush road far from any known shelter was unusual enough for me to make a note, and then later include in my report. to have throttlemeister come along and identify this guy for me a year after seeing him, now that is bizarre.

here's a photo from the dempster to tempt you into a little trip planning...

jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #50
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
Awesome...

Its about damn time!

I've been waiting all summer for this RR, and I don't know how I missed the start. Caught up now..and anxiously awaiting further installments.

C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #51
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain
Its about damn time!

I've been waiting all summer for this RR, and I don't know how I missed the start. Caught up now..and anxiously awaiting further installments.

had fun in Nova Scotia. arrived after the tail end of Earl had come through and some repairs still being done.

i better get going on the report...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #52
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer
great report, I love Quebec,
i really liked quebec too, and i think the people liked me. they liked me even better when i didn't try to speak French.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #53
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
I'm in JD. Glad to see the report from your travels this year.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #54
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

welcome aboard. no big wreck in montana this season, i'm trying not to wreck in canada this time.

more "big gravel" ahead...
Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #55
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis P Monaco

Glad I could help out, I've been around a little And jd is right, there's not a whole lot of people up in the Tiaga out running around other than QH workers. Fun to travel and meet people from these places

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
what a great post!

an SUV or pickup would work better on those big gravel roads.
One wild man at the end of the TT had taken a Honda Element or Toyota Pirus in a body wrap all the way out there

across the north there are few roads and few people. to see someone walking on a bush road far from any known shelter was unusual enough for me to make a note, and then later include in my report. to have throttlemeister come along and identify this guy for me a year after seeing him, now that is bizarre. Glad I could identify and let you know what he was up too I really enjoy talking with these kind of people

here's a photo from the dempster to tempt you into a little trip planning...

There is something extra special about the Dempster, crossing the divide a few times with the elevation is awesome, but it doesn't have all those damn dams

Small world...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #56
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
And jd is right, there's not a whole lot of people up in the Tiaga out running around other than QH workers. Fun to travel and meet people from these places

Small world...
Gidday Mr Meister, small world...reading this report (excellent by the way JDRocks, I feel you have accurately conveyed the feeling of the TT) and seeing you post Are you ever heading south ?

I suppose the gas guy was out "studying wolves" as that's what he seems to be up there doing, aside from selling a bit of over priced gas.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #57
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
but it doesn't have all those damn dams

Small world...
the Cree aren't so polite in their choice of words...they would say "those f*****g dams".

it's appropriate to close a conversation with "until we meet again, my friend" when you travel the north. if up there often or long, you will surely meet.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #58
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
the Cree aren't so polite in their choice of words...they would say "those f*****g dams".

There are the ones (Cree) that drink and rasie hell and then there are then the majority, the ones that help you out and want to visit and our genuinely good people just like you or I.

Reminds me of how Mexico gets a bad wrap and many people are scared to death to cross the border.

I do understand that the dams have changed many of their ways of older life but its done now, progress or natural destruction or whatever, Quebec should be at fault if anyone is to be blamed. Already amazing to see the change in the Rupert since I was there last year, sad to see something so mighty get cut down.

I went out to two communities on the James Bay and found lot more good people than bad, one of them had even developed their own hydro electric damn, although a little small, it is still of some benefit or it would not have been built.

There's always something, it never quits( that is until you die)

Not trying to hijack this great thread , great seeing more people posting about traveling up in the area, not near as much as people write about Alaskan North and the Canadian NW.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #59
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Ride report

Great writing,great pictures
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #60
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
There are the ones (Cree) that drink and rasie hell and then there are then the majority, the ones that help you out and want to visit and our genuinely good people just like you or I.

Not trying to hijack this great thread...
interaction with the Cree in the next installment, stay tuned.

i'm enjoying your comments, no reason to stop.