ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #1681
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
A couple basterds and I did the route last week in 3.5 days North to South as we were a bit pushed for time. We had no unexpected closures and used the Beehive reservoir route.

Ran into a few groups and handed out some Furious Basterds stickers. We were a bit rushed for time and unfortunately started the route in the afternoon so were a half-day off from the usual timing. The GPS track was spot-on but I can see people having issues if they don't have a 'track-capable' GPS.

The most technical sections were the 'Alders' section and the section from Chelan to Ellensburg. The 'baby-head hill' we did backwards and the boys mentioned they would have preferred to be going up rather than down it. There were a few short sand sections before 'baby-head hill' which were long enough to tighten sphincters but not long enough to cause drama. We started the way south from Chelan in the late afternoon so we were all tired already - not smart in retrospect. Lots of loose rock to go up and down on but nothing impossible.

We ran heavy duty tubes and ran 20psi rear and 25psi front and had no issues. We all ran Amsoil oil and 79% nitrogen in the tires.

There was a section on the northernmost leg that was signed as closed from August 5-12 but I think that's been mentioned already.

BTW, if you camp under the tree at the 'Alamo' campground, there's a very strong biting ant population in that location. You've been warned. Big Paul was dealing with ants in his helmet the whole next day - and he kept all his gear in the tent.

Happy trails!

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #1682
G-ree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just finished the WBDR south to north in four days 12-15 Aug. Went 720 miles to border due to starting from my house in Clark county and adding roads that I knew were more technical than the official route. After going through all the difficult sections between Packwood and Ellensberg, I got a pinch flat hitting a rock at speed that I didn't see. This was about 10 miles from E'berg, so my riding partner went on into town and got a tube while I propped the bike up on some rocks and took the wheel off.

The only closure we went around was the 7100 road, which looked pretty serious and permanent. The "construction" closure past Conconully was a joke. We moved the barriers and kept going.

We saw no other riders on the route, and only one 4WD, which was a high-dollar Lexus SUV that we passed just before the "overgrown but passible" section. They said they were going to go through it, which if they did, it probably flattened a lot of the brush amd maybe made the route more passible.
G-ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #1683
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
Tires

Forgot to mention that all the bike shops we came across were closed Sunday and Monday. Just an FYI for tire planning.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #1684
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 661
Cashmere Powersports is open Mon-Fri closed on weekends and Mitch is a great guy!
KTM65SX, KX65
<><
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #1685
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,936
Just took the dogs up Sand Creek, and the Forest Circus has run a Cat up the road at least a couple miles, which is as far as we went.
Rover31, we should figure out how to connect the top of Ruby Creek with South Fork Sand Creek, if you don't already know how. I've got both XR250Rs running, although the white one still pees gasoline occasionally. Gotta re-clean the carb I guess.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #1686
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 661
I know a trail that connects however it has a couple of wash outs that are not small. Would be tough on a loaded DS. We will have to go up to see if it has changed in the last month.
T
KTM65SX, KX65
<><

Rover31 screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 01:47 PM
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #1687
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
Forgot to mention that all the bike shops we came across were closed Sunday and Monday. Just an FYI for tire planning.
Sportland in Cle Elum although a bit off path is open on Sundays just not on Mondays and Tuesdays if that helps in the future. Jeff the owner s great to deal with.
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #1688
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover31 View Post
I know a trail that connects however it has a couple of wash outs that are not small. Would be tough on a loaded DS. We will have to go up to see if it has changed in the last month.
T
I'll bet it's gotten worse after the rains we've had.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #1689
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Q for you guys.

The map now has a second little section on it. Heading north from the south, after BabyHead hill, after Cleman Mt, there is two options on the route to Ellensburg.

What's the story between the two?

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #1690
transalprider26
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Found a Glove

Anyone lose a Klim glove on the WABDR on Umtanum Ridge this last weekend? I was in my truck headed southbound and had just passed a V-Strom 650 and an F800GS headed Northbound. I assumed it belonged to one of them. Send me a PM if it's yours.
transalprider26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #1691
G-ree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
Q for you guys.

The map now has a second little section on it. Heading north from the south, after BabyHead hill, after Cleman Mt, there is two options on the route to Ellensburg.

What's the story between the two?
I don't have a Butler map anymore, but if you are talking about the second section marked "difficult" between Packwood and Ellensberg, that is the most technical section on the whole WBDR. There is a solid rock ledge followed shortly by a single track path through rocks that goes over some roots on the right. These are uphills going from south to north. It was after these two spots that I got the pinch flat pictured in a few posts above.

The alternate easy route is a wide, smooth graded road into E'Berg.
G-ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #1692
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Ah got ya, thanks.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #1693
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-ree View Post
There is a solid rock ledge followed shortly by a single track path through rocks that goes over some roots on the right.
I was under the impression there was no single track on the WABDR? Is this part of the route or a side route you took?
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #1694
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
In Ellensburg right now. Left from Mineral yesterday, rode through 706 and east on 12 to the trail. Few sections with those gnarly rocks and hill climbs humbled me. And gave me a shot of confidence as well. Definitely have a blast. Camped outside EBurg on this junction where it looked like some assholes were camped a few hours before. Shoot me a PM if any of you inmates will be between Eburg and Chelan
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #1695
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
In Ellensburg right now. Left from Mineral yesterday, rode through 706 and east on 12 to the trail. Few sections with those gnarly rocks and hill climbs humbled me. And gave me a shot of confidence as well. Definitely have a blast. Camped outside EBurg on this junction where it looked like some assholes were camped a few hours before. Shoot me a PM if any of you inmates will be between Eburg and Chelan
Noticed you live in Btown. Hwy 20 reopened today if that helps your plans. Have fun.