ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #31
RandinIowa
A.D.D. Rider

Oddometer: 117
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk311 View Post
I will be doing this with the trusty KLR! Hopefully this summer!!! I'll need to hook up with someone else since all my buddies ride dirt only bikes
i'd probably be down with that, the sooner the better. let me know if you want to do any other dual sport rides in the meantime.
RandinIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #32
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
+1 to all this......

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.Mudd View Post
Big Bike - Not a problem for 99% and the other 1% NBD!

Side Trails - Lots, look at a map!

Time of Year - After July 1st due to snow.

It's a 3 day ride border to border
I did most of this route (though it's easy to find alternate ways through) last year. I'd do it again on anyone elses GoldWing, it's pretty much that easy, this is no OBDR.

the longest parts are 90 miles each south and north of Winthrop. Midweek in late June I had no snow issues, very little other traffic, no hot weather, empty campgrounds. A very nice ride.

bobo
Bobo1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #33
SeattleTrails
KTMer

Oddometer: 21
WABDR (WBCDR) update

ADVriders, I'm glad to see all the discussion about the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. I wanted to answer some of your questions and update some information. A little background first… Andrew Cull and I (Bryce Stevens) created this route and gathered the "documentary team" together so we could make maps, collect GPS waypoints for everyone to use, and do a film about the project. We had sponsors for the project (http://www.wabdr.com/Sponsors), but this money was just to cover the direct costs (e.g. website and movie). The WA BDR is and will always be a non-profit venture. Touratech-USA was the lead sponsor and they will probably sell the film DVD at their store and on their website (http://www.touratech-usa.com/), but again they will just try to recoup some of their costs. Note that this route is for adventure motorcycles and 4WD/4x4 vehicles. The entire route can be ridden or driven by competent riders and drivers in competent vehicles.

We know that we were not the first ones to ride motorcycles across WA on un-paved backroads. Many others have done this already, but we wanted to create a route that everyone can ride, share, and discuss. We hope that the route will evolve over time with many other optional routes, suggested side-trips, harder sections, easier sections, etc. What we’ve done so far is just a starting point.

Now to answer some of the questions so far:

Website: The website URL address has changed from WBCDR.com to WABDR.com. We wanted to use the 2-letter state abbreviation because we plan to create more of these BDR’s for other states and use the same website domain format (http://www.wabdr.com/).

Movie: The feature-length movie is being produced as I type this by Sterling Noren who has made many motorcycle documentaries before (http://www.norenfilms.com). It is expected to be completed in early 2011. We will be showing the movie at the Overland Expo in Amado, Arizona in early April 2011. Overland became a sponsor of the project after we won their Overland Flag Competition at last year’s show. If you haven’t been, you should attend this excellent expo for adventure motorcycling and 4wd “overlanding” expeditions.

Maps: The website has maps from Google Maps (http://www.wabdr.com/Map) which are helpful for planning the trip. But we suggest that you get all 3 national forest maps to take with you (Gifford Pinchot, Wenatchee, and Okanogan) and Butler Maps is producing an excellent map of the route that will be available in 2011 (http://www.butlermaps.com/).

GPS waypoints: The route tracks are free on the website at (http://www.wabdr.com/GPS).

Season: July thru September is best. This route goes very high up into the mountains in several sections and unfortunately most of those sections don’t melt out until July and some years that’s late July. It’s worth the wait but the season is very short because those elevations (6-7000 feet) get snow early in the fall. Call the NF ranger stations before heading out in July.

Motorcycles & vehicles: I drove it in my FJ Cruiser (big tires and small lift kit) and a friend drove it in an old FJ (jeep style). We had no problems but a nice SUV would get scratches on this route and any vehicle with low clearance could get stuck in places. I can send another post later on the initial motorcycle team and their bikes, but we all had big adventure bikes (650 to 1200cc BMW and KTM) and the riders are solid. There are a couple challenging sections (one on Cleman Mtn and one on Umptanum Ridge) that should be avoided by inexperienced riders on big bikes. Other than those tough sections we tried to select roads that were not boring NF main trunk roads so many are rocky and rutted but still ridable (one mystery section is insanely overgrown but it goes!). There are some single-track trails along the route for dual-sport riders wanting to get off roads but you’ll need to do your own research on those. BTW - I’d love to see a GoldWing do this route!

Sorry for the long post. Great video by MonkeyC by the way!

-Bryce
SeattleTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #34
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Need to see the movie in the winter time. I'm bored! What is the longest distance between fuel stops? The OBDR was a concern.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #35
jackariah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Thanks Seattle Trails to you and all the others that put in the time and effort

Thank you for making this route so easily accessible to all of us.

I have already downloaded the gps tracks to my Dakota and am planning out the trip for this summer. I suspect I will likely do just 2 or 3 of the legs this summer... start from I90 and up to Hwy 20... then head over the the family in Ione, WA.

Anyway, very excited to do this route and look forward to reporting back the fun.

Much appreciated.

Jackariah
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
hello everyone. thanks for the interest in this way cool route!!!
we are projecting our printed map will be avail. end of jan/beg. of feb.
i'll keep ya updated when i get new info.
thanks, bill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #37
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamWOW! View Post
Need to see the movie in the winter time. I'm bored! What is the longest distance between fuel stops? The OBDR was a concern.
fuel stops will be listed on our maps but i don't have a range answer for you yet.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #38
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,114
Many have been doing this for the past 4 years; good on you brothers! Keep it going. It's one epic ride of sure!

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin
Beelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #39
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleTrails
Holy Crap that's a lot of good info!
I'm an average rider on a great bike (KTM990). If there are really technical parts, I'd like to be able to bypass them as I'll be doing the route alone. Will there be workarounds? Also interested in distance beween gas stops.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #40
Sabre
Prêt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,830
Hey Bryce, this is a wonderful piece of work and we're all very grateful for your efforts. The website is great, the download is great, and the vid is great. I'm very much looking forward to making this trip next summer.

Tell Andrew hi from Anson; haven't seen him in a while but it looks like he's doing great with RMI.

Great work, guys. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #41
SeattleTrails
KTMer

Oddometer: 21
1911 fan, i understand your concern if riding this solo. Many sections would be a long walk to safety. The good news is that most of this is quite safe as long as you are alert and watching for loose sections and obstacles. I ride a KTM 990 Adventure as well and probably would do it all solo even knowing that there are places I might drop the bike and have to work hard to get it upright again. That said there are three easy bypasses on the tough sections. The first is on Cleman Mountain where you could take road 1712 instead of 1711 which has a steep loose rocky road full of baby heads. The second is at Umtanum Ridge where you could take the Wenas-Umtanum Road over Ellensburg Pass instead of going over Umtanum Ridge (that sucker is very rocky and has one challenging move but it's not terrible). The third is at the Slide Ridge descent to Lake Chelan where you could take road 8410 down instead of road 233 which has some exposure.

My 990A only gets 125 mpg when riding off pavement so my bike was the worst of the six bikes on our first trip. The only area where I had a problem was the very first leg from Stevenson to Packwood. I had about 2 tablespoons of gas left when I got there. I did carry an extra half gallon fuel can just in case. The rule is to fill up every time you can. Be sure to get the Butler Map of this route which shows all gas stops, alternate routes, and campgrounds. Keep in mind that not all rural gas stations have premium which the KTM's require (Carlson and Loomis for sure).

Sterling just told me that the movie is almost done so we'll get to see it this winter!

-Bryce
SeattleTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #42
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Thanks for the input.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #43
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleTrails View Post
...bunch more good info!
-Bryce

Not familiar with roads 1711/1712 or the Umtanum Ridge area, but I've been up Slide Ridge on the 990. I don't really want the ride to be an endurance event- I want to go ride some pretty country, do a little motocamping, maybe meet some fellow ADVers. yup, lazy.
I'll watch for the guide and probably ride it in sections. If my work schedule doesn't change I'll have a three-day weekend every three weeks; might do the ride in sections.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #44
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Thumb

1911 Fan - I'm up for this ride if you want to do it next summer. Assuming your 990 can keep up with my Wee Strom...

Seriously, I think I've either ridden much of this route, or been over parts of it on various backroad jaunts with my ol' pickup. A lot of it will be familiar territory for you and me both. I've got the backpacking tent, stove, water pump/filter and all that stuff. Let's see how the winter progresses - and maybe set a mid-late summer time to do the route on our bikes. Should be fun!

Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #45
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
My plan is to do this ride in the summer of 2011 on my F650GS and looking for a small group of riding partners.

I'd like to take a week to do this (moto-camping) and I'm also not interested in an Enduro style ride and love to take lots of pictures. I've done the MT1000 (planning to return and do that again in 2011) and many other d/s rides in the Pacific NWet.

Is anyone else looking for riding partners?
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote