ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #1336
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,060
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #1337
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Bryce, not to hijack a WABDR thread, but since UTBDR has come up ... your thoughts about its sandy segments and a big bike like a Super Ten.? You know me 'n sand ... ugh. I struggled on my KLR, as always, on those beachy segments north of Moab.
I'm still new to the S10 but what about deflating the tires to say...25 psi for the sand? I've heard this makes all the difference.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #1338
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar View Post
I'm still new to the S10 but what about deflating the tires to say...25 psi for the sand? I've heard this makes all the difference.
Tire pressure is relevant to the bike and terrain. 25 might be good for one bike, but not another. For deep sand, go as low as you can go for YOUR bike.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #1339
Hangar14
FKA: BendEuroMoto

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
lol... "Life is what happens while you are making plans." Headed out that way on the KTM earlier and froze my tookus off before I hit Orondo so turned around. Might drag the other half up to Chelan Butte for some pheasant chasing this weekend and come see you.
Aren't helos unsafe? Wings moving faster than the fuselage, and so on? PM me your number.

1911fan
PM sent.

Heli's are not that dangerous. The Bell 206 has the best safety record of any aircraft ever built, so I have been told.
I am doing a skids up restoration on a 1956 Hiller UH12. It has only crashed a couple times since it was built, not bad for an old bird.
Hangar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1340
Curtis76
Coug Fan

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post
I aborted the route last year with a broken rib or two, and my wife was not interested in continuing. I want to try it again (or at least a significant portion of it - say Sections 2 through 5 - next summer, probably as soon as the snow melts out in late July. Last time I took my heavily burdened R1200GS - next time I'll either be on a lightly-loaded F650 Dakar, or an even more lightly-loaded Husaberg FE390, anticipating much more fun with either than with the pig.

None of my friends or family will be interested in going this time, so it would be great to get a group together.
DeFens... I'm very interested in joinng a group for next summer... I'd be on F800GS and I'm just up the hill from you in Mill Creek. PM me if you're interested in doin some planning and/or getting out for ride.
- Curtis

`10 F800GS

If your circle stays unbroken... then you're a lucky man. - Ronnie James
Curtis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #1341
SeattleTrails
KTMer

Oddometer: 21
OBDR vs. WABDR

Yes in reply to that awesome photo, Oregon has great things to view, but I think it was the long gravely sections with no views that stuck out for me. Probably a ratio of views to miles that is lower on the ORBDR than the WABDR. Both routes should be ridden by PNW folks and compared. Both are fun - the Oregon trip takes more time for sure. The Blue Mountains were stunning!
SeattleTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #1342
SeattleTrails
KTMer

Utah BDR Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Bryce, not to hijack a WABDR thread, but since UTBDR has come up ... your thoughts about its sandy segments and a big bike like a Super Ten.? You know me 'n sand ... ugh. I struggled on my KLR, as always, on those beachy segments north of Moab.
Hey Tony, just a quick note and we'll keep this thread to WA. Yes your KLR was a bugger in the sand on the COBDR. I think you'll be fine on the UTBDR. We did a good job to avoid long stretches of loose sand. The worst is in Comb Wash after coming down off of Cedar Mesa. There are probably other small sections I'm forgetting but nothing else that compares to that deep section in Colorado. Deep knobbies plus strong throttle is the key. Low tire pressure helps but these sections are short and rocks are a plenty on all BDR's so I say don't lower pressure.

-Bryce
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #1343
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar14 View Post
Heli's are not that dangerous.
That is because they are so ugly that most of the time the earth repels them

(actually they are cool, but us fixed wing guys just can't help it )
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #1344
Jonas p
Mr. Fix It

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Oregon

Hi Tony!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
Cool by docking pilot
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #1345
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Eh? Photo

Just a side note here but the photo that you guys are talking about is not in Oregon! It's in Washington, Takhlakh lake on the WABDR looking Southwest at Mt Adams and Adams Glacier.....
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #1346
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,049
Good catch. Washington it was. Close to the border anyway. That's the problem with these mega mile trips. Some of them all run together and it's hard to recall where every photo was taken. Who h is why I have t started the rr yet. Still sorting them. Thanks Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #1347
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Sound good - I would like to meet some folks for a bit of planning, after the holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #1348
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Just a side note here but the photo that you guys are talking about is not in Oregon! It's in Washington, Takhlakh lake on the WABDR looking Southwest at Mt Adams and Adams Glacier.....
I almost camped there but stayed at Peterson Prairie instead. Good choice on my part with many campers wearing mosquito hats and netting. It did not look like fun!

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #1349
SeattleTrails
KTMer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Now that is funny for sure. Thanks Craig. I glanced at it and it reminded me of a photo I have of Bachelor, but looking at it now with the massive Glacier it is clear. What's even funnier is that I should know Adams as I have climbed it twice from the north ridge. Jeez. Anyway... Bottom line is that both WA and OR have awesome volcanoes, lakes, and other sites to see. I hope many people get to ride both routes and compare. Then I hope they venture out to do the UTBDR and the COBDR - both are excellent routes to say the least. Next on our plate for 2013 and 1014 are ID and AZ so those will hopefully be ready by the time everyone gets the first four done!

-Bryce
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #1350
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Mosquitoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
I almost camped there but stayed at Peterson Prairie instead. Good choice on my part with many campers wearing mosquito hats and netting. It did not look like fun!

TONY

I'm planning to ride the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route at the end of September (2013). Are mosquitoes going to be problem this time of year? If so is there a time of year that's better to go?