ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #1366
munsterlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
You guys were right about the snow. I'd thought since it had been very warm in the area the last couple weeks it might be okay. I've been on other roads in the area quite a bit, usually when they are really dusty... not the problem this time. There was some muddy areas and a few bits of snow along the way in the most shaded spots, like this:
But then just before the top and beginning of heading down Ruby Grade (I was travelling south to north) I ran into this which turned me around... trees across the road and deeper snow.
So I turned around and took Salmon Creek Road to Ruby and on to Conconully and beyond, no snow on those roads, just some muddy stuff here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterlander View Post
Tomorrow I am heading over to a friends cabin for a few days near Loup Loup Pass. Taking my Vstrom DL650. Was thinking of trying the Loup Loup Canyon Road north to Conconully one day.
munsterlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #1367
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterlander View Post
You guys were right about the snow. I'd thought since it had been very warm in the area the last couple weeks...
... trees across the road and deeper snow...
It started snowing in November... it stopped snowing in February... it'll take more than a couple of warm weeks for the snow to go away... it's still freezing here at night and I'm at 2200'. Also there will be a lots of trees down this year... snow got heavy in early January.
Could possibly be an early summer season though...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #1368
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,138
You fellas need the snow pack. Hopefully the wild fires won't be a problem this year for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #1369
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
You fellas need the snow pack. Hopefully the wild fires won't be a problem this year for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My line gear, saw, and Pulaski are ready for it.

ohhh the tradeoffs we live with, if parts aint closed from snow, parts are closed from fire.
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #1370
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,111
A career with a future, unfortunately.
byways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #1371
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
On the subject of snow & downed trees, do you guys think Stevenson to Ellensburg will be clear by late May/early June?
SuperD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #1372
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Proably not.

It was not last year at that time.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #1373
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Low Snow

Purely based on my observations while riding snowmobiles, this years riding season will come early compared to last year.

Could change if we get a lot of new snow but, the current snowpack is really low up to around 6,000 ft. I would guess that another month and a half of warm weather will be all it takes to clear most of it out (maybe some patches on NE aspects still).

If I recall correctly we still had a large amount of snow into late June/July last year.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #1374
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
We're still above average snow pack up here (Northern most section of the WABDR).

Snowed yesterday, we got about 2" at around 4k feet.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #1375
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,688
Info map

Snow meters near the route are on the page 1 interactive map.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #1376
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,642
Had a talk with a WDFW agent last week; he said the north end of Mission Creek Road (FR9712) has been tank-trapped at the Peavine intersection. This is about four miles south of Cashmere. The Forest Circus has a new, lower gate just off the end of the paved road heading south of Cashmere, so I can't drive up there and check.
May not be bike passable anyway, due to trees down from the fire and more spring flooding. I'll get the XR250 out and check, but since I work this Saturday and plan to go turkey hunting Sunday it may be a while.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #1377
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Snow level

Well, my boy and I spent some time exploring the south facing slopes of T
the lower Entiat. The FS has the majority of the roads closed where the road is shaded and has deeper snow. There are exceptions and those were fun! Entiat Ridge is still heavily buried in snow, so it will be a while on the north facing, upper elevations. I want to connect all the dots on the Discovery Route, but the end of June or early July is what I expect for those few high passes to be open. I hope the weather prooves me wrong.
EntiatRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #1378
SvenTomas
n00b

Oddometer: 8
snow

Last year (which I know is not this year) we checked various sources every day it seemed and were poised to leave whenever (from Stevenson near our Klickitat county home). July 4 was finally the day and we still had to re-route a little bit between Stevenson and Packwood.
SvenTomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #1379
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Is anyone planning a group ride on this route this year. Thinking of going solo if not. Just askin.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #1380
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,642
You bastards!!!!

Stupid Forest Circus government anus lickers!!! Mrs1911fan and I rode south out of Cashmere, out to the end of pavement at the start of 7100, and I have bad news. There's a gate about a mile in, with this sign next to it:

So we ride around the gate (which i was told was legal) and ride along to the intersection at Peavine Canyon, inspecting the 'roadwork' along the way. Looks like they let somebody's kid play with a Cat. Big rolling waterbars, but not armored at all, which was why I was told the lower section of the road was "temporarily closed". Bullshit. There's no new gravel, and those waterbars won't last long in a good flood.
When riding by the Devil's Gulch trailhead, I noticed two signs on the bridge across the creek- should have taken a pic. One said the trail was closed due to fire danger, and one said that there were "miles of downed trees" though from ride reports I'm not sure how true that is. They are left over from last fall, I'm sure.

So we get up to the Peavine/7100 intersection, and unfortunately my information is correct. Gate has been pulled, and there's a hella tank trap where it was. For reference, Mrs1911fan is 5'9" without riding boots on. I'm about eight feet below her, and she's standing on the narrow ledge that I might ride the XL250R through. The section that winds around the end of the berm is maybe 10-12" wide, and drops several feet into the creek if you goof.

And from the south side, near where the gate useta was:

which may be a better indication of how big-bike unfriendly this section is. Both sides are pretty steep.

I'm pissed as hell about this. If they'd just left it alone, it would still be big-bike rideable, at least it was last fall before the fires. I've been told they are too short on money to repair the big washout, but I'd like to know how much time and equipment hours were wasted pulling the gate and digging this fucking hole. This, after conversations with Bob Stoehr at the Forest Service, who has not been returning my calls for three weeks now. During those conversations last winter, we discussed the WABDR, and he told me that they might be able to make the washed-out section a little safer for two wheels and horses. His direct line at the office is 509-548-2579 if you'd like to ask him about it.
Based on what I see, they have NO intention of removing the lower gate, or ever fixing the road south of the Peavine intersection.
So, if you're riding the WABDR, I'd recommend taking the workaround from the Beehive Reservoir area, through Wenatchee, and then... maybe... over Number Two Canyon, down Peavine, and out Mission Creek into Cashmere. Maybe, because the same .fed guy who told me about the tank trap also told me that the gate at the top of Number Two Canyon might stay closed forever. The gate at the bottom of Peavine, at Mission Creek Road/FR7100, is closed. So you might have to ride through Wenatchee and slab it to Cashmere, then just pick up the WABDR at Highway Two and Nahahum Canyon.
You know, if you roll about 10 miles more, you could be in Leavenworth annoying Bob. Might be worth it.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 05:49 PM Reason: Mighta been a little harsh.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote