ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #1456
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Hello, I keep coming up with questions, but our trip keeps getting minor tweeks, so I am trying to figure out the best route for this two-three day adventure.

Realistically, how long does it take to run Section 1, Stevenson to Packwood. We dont want to be humping along, not enjoying the ride.

Same question for section 2. Packwood to Ellensburg.

For me, this trip is to see how the Ural and more importantly I do off road. I would like to run the whole thing next summer, so it is kind of a shakedown trip to work on my GPS, Map and Off Road riding.

Our latest thoughts are running from Portland through Section 1, spending the night in Packwood on day one. On day two running a loop on part of (or whole of if it can be done) of Section 2 getting back to Packwood. On the final day running back down Section 1 to Stevenson then back to Portland.

How realistic is that? ANy suggestions for the day 2 loop?

Thanks!
DAVE
We met up in Boring at 10am, and hit packwood about 7pm. We had a couple of mechanical issues and with 6 guys there was some waiting, but we did run a pretty spirited pace while we were moving. The re-routing around snow caused a little more time wasting.

Packwood to Ellensburg is another 3-4 hours probably, but the Bethel Ridge section may slow down a URAL, there was lots of narrow twisty work arounds. Nice thing is you can always run back HWY 12 to Portland to get back, if you make it to Ellensburg or go any further like Lion Springs.

I do recommend picking up the paper map if you haven't already.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #1457
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
We met up in Boring at 10am, and hit packwood about 7pm. We had a couple of mechanical issues and with 6 guys there was some waiting, but we did run a pretty spirited pace while we were moving. The re-routing around snow caused a little more time wasting.

Packwood to Ellensburg is another 3-4 hours probably, but the Bethel Ridge section may slow down a URAL, there was lots of narrow twisty work arounds. Nice thing is you can always run back HWY 12 to Portland to get back, if you make it to Ellensburg or go any further like Lion Springs.

I do recommend picking up the paper map if you haven't already.
Perfect! Thanks for the advice. I do have a paper map and found already that it is a pretty good thing to have.

DAVE
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1458
deeve
DumbA$$

D
Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #1459
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Just got it in the mail. GREAT map. Thanks!!
Looks like you're gonna get lots o good use outta that WABDR map...ENJOY

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1460
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,230
I noticed on the map on the first post of this thread it shows a section of the ride (south of Cashmere) closed due to a road being washed out.

Does anyone know how recently that was posted, and if the road had been fixed yet?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #1461
ThrottleThrill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I noticed on the map on the first post of this thread it shows a section of the ride (south of Cashmere) closed due to a road being washed out.

Does anyone know how recently that was posted, and if the road had been fixed yet?
Not only was it never fixed but, it now gated, tank trapped etc due to last years fires. Search back a few pages and there is more detail if you need it.

T

'09 KTM 990R, '14 KTM 300 Six Days, GasGas 300 Trials, '11 SkiDoo 800 Rev XP X
ThrottleThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #1462
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,936
Or PM me, I posted some info on the WABDR thread. I live a little ways outside the bottom of Mission Creek.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #1463
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

It's almost 3:00 a.m. and I just finished going through all 1,463 posts. Good times.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, and especially 1911 and other locals who are a wealth of specific information!

Quote:
I have done a search and checked out some of the maps on GPSfiledepot.com. I have not found it yet, but I also haben't downloaded a bunch either. Is there a topo, or otherwise, type of map I can download to my oregon 450 that shows the number of the Fire Roads to work in conjunction with my Butler map?
You may have already run across this one and it wasn't what you were looking for, but this is what I'm using and it seems to have the fire roads (though they don't show up on mapsource until you zoom in).

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/95/
Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #1464
deeve
DumbA$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
It's almost 3:00 a.m. and I just finished going through all 1,463 posts. Good times.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, and especially 1911 and other locals who are a wealth of specific information!

You may have already run across this one and it wasn't what you were looking for, but this is what I'm using and it seems to have the fire roads (though they don't show up on mapsource until you zoom in).

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/95/
I did look at that one. On my Garmin all the roads that appear in Basecamp/Mapsource do not appear on the handheld so check that. With some setting tweaks you can get more to show ,but not all.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1465
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
First two north-bound sections clear!

Rode the first two north-bound sections of the WABDR on the way to the Touratech-Overland Rally last weekend. Carson to Packwood and Packwood to Ellensburg - all clear, no reroutes needed. Tom from Touratech says I was the first person through this season on two wheels on the Carson to Packwood section without rerouting for snow. A few days of warm wet weather - and a 4X4 that punched through the big remaining snow drifts - opened up the last section holding snow.

See that broken limb behind my bike? Jousted my handlebar end, pitching me off the bike high-side going about 30 MPH - be VERY cautious with overhanging branches!

Expect a few patches of snow on the first section and about 10 miles of rutted muddy dirt road on the second section. VIDEO CLIP HERE.

Great variety of terrain, road surfaces and scenery!

OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1466
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Ran into some folks in Winthrop riding the BDR. Said they were headed to Cle Elum... one of 'em was sporting an ADV sticker...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #1467
nw scout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
A friend and I are planing this trip for Aug 18th thru the 25th.
Not sure if its doable up and back in that time so were looking into other possible options.
I've ridden most everything below Packwood but nothing above, so were thinking about trailering out to near wanatchiee and ridding the route up and adventuring around on the way back.
We're trying to stay off the pavement as much as possible and figure if we bust up there quick with the trailer that should open up lots more free time to explore the dirt roads and trails north of Chealan.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1468
haileypooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Looking for travel partner(s) for northern half Leaving July 28?

I may be attending a concert at the Gorge July 26 and 27 and was thinking it would be nice to head home to BC via the northern half of the WABDR. Im riding an f800gs and dont mind long days. Any possible takers?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #1469
Trykart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
3 of us taking 5 days off work and going to try to do the route north to south starting monday the 15th. Taking 1 KLR, 1 G650GS and 1 F800GS. Tried South to North last year but kept getting diverted by all the fires. We'll be sure to post a report and pics/video when we're done.
Trykart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #1470
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

I imagined it would be busy season right now for this thread. T-minus-3-weeks for our group to hit the WABDR!

If anyone does a trip report on the WABDR, please put a link to it here.