Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
wannabe1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
If Honda would just throw a fuel injected 125cc in the Ruckus and throw a front disk brake on it they would have a Zuma killer. The other kicker, it would have to be priced the same as a Zuma, none of the above look like they will happen soon or if ever.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I've seen lots of 2stroke converted Rucki on totalruckus. Does anyone know what plant they're using for that conversion? A kitted 70cc 2stroke ruckus would be tits.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I've seen lots of 2stroke converted Rucki on totalruckus. Does anyone know what plant they're using for that conversion? A kitted 70cc 2stroke ruckus would be tits.
People have installed just about everything possible into a Ruckus (Grand Axis engine, Reflex 250 engine, GSXR 600 engine, etc...). The most popular 2 stroke swaps seem to be the 50cc from the Zuma and various 50cc Minarelli engines. 70cc kits are readily available for both of those engines and there are even some wiring and mount kits specifically for the swap. There's an entire 2 stroke section of totalruckus just waiting for your reading pleasure.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
Just my two cents here, but I think Honda messed up when they dropped the "Big Ruckus" model and went 50cc.

I am cool with the chassis size of the 50, it would I think be safer if it went a bit faster to defend itself in potential city-traffic.

I wonder if they have a plan for something closer to a 125cc model that us bigger boys could enjoy?

Or if it's something like "liability" that is keeping them from releasing something in this line that younger folks would likely pile up?
The Big Ruckus was a sales flop. Personally, it just didn't have the look down right. They messed up in that Honda has no 250cc model in the US anymore, but I think the Big Ruckus never found a larger following for a reason that has more to do with style than performance.

In the last 2 years Honda USA has released new-to-us 110, 125 and 150cc scooters. None resemble the Ruckus or the Metro. If Honda had a bigger engined Ruckus in the plans it would've happened by now. I sincerely doubt liability has anything to do with it.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,636
What about the 150cc Chinese Ruckus clone? Anybody happy with it?
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
TX Spike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
my ruck

My ruckus is a blast. It will go anywhere i want to go. Always goes in the back of my truck when I go on a minor roadtrip. Had it up to 35 today. It is an old man mini bike. Ride it much more than my WR250R. Buy one, don't worry about going fast, split lanes, go off road, have fun, and try not to smile
TX Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #22
LegoRobot
EV fan

Oddometer: 9
It's the design. I love how industrial and utilitarian it is. Most scoots try to appear streamlined and somewhat like shrunken down sportbikes. The Ruckus strips all of that pretention away and suddenly you're riding a sturdy steel frame with a motor, wheels and a way to steer. It's nice and simple.
LegoRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I haven't been following scooters much lately. I've got a couple of Puch mopeds that have provided me many many happy miles.

I wonder if anyone can comment on the "adventure" capability of the Ruckus? Or of any other 50cc scooter out there?

I have a two speed and a single speed Puch. The single speed is non variated, but the wet clutch has held up astonishingly well in 10,000 mi considering the amount of slip required to get it up to speed. That acts somewhat like a variator. The two speed is much more 'adventure' capable since it can slog through sand and hilly trails in first gear.

Is the variator (cv pulleys) in a Ruckus very competent in sand and mild trail adventuring?

What I would have loved to see out of honda is something more akin to the larger wheeled 50cc Sachs Madass, with a dual range auto transmission (flick a lever on the case), and Honda buiild quality.

Anything like that out there at the present time?
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
sleepychas
Banned

Oddometer: 1,506
I ride the ruckus often in snow and ice and it handles well. I am sure sand would be fine too.

People have take the ruckus around the US so it can be used as an adventure bike- no highways obviously.

I ride mine daily to and from work- very fun and reliable. It is slow though but feels fast if you know what I mean
sleepychas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #25
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
As a side-track, ... can someone measure the diameter of the small ruckus' headlights? Some say that they are the same as the Big ruckus and I would like to confirm that.

Thanks
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Love my Ruck but it is a DOG. It is an 04 but I have a complete 09 engine and ECU with 300 miles on it waiting to be swapped out. Thought about going the GY6 route but we're talking $1k at least.

Decided to get a Reflex for anything requiring over 45mph. The Ruckus is THE suburban assault vehicle.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat
As a side-track, ... can someone measure the diameter of the small ruckus' headlights? Some say that they are the same as the Big ruckus and I would like to confirm that.

Thanks
I don't have a Ruckus but do have a Big Ruckus, almost certain the BR has bigger headlights than a regular Ruckus. I've not seen a brighter set of headlamps than what comes on the Big Ruckus, high beams are awesome.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #28
doctor_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
i have often lusted for the ruckus but i've never told anyone until now.

i actually thought about going to counseling over it.

one would think something like an XR-100 engine or similar would be an absolute hoot in one of these things if there was a way to do it.

the one thing I noticed is that they fetch a pretty penny - at least the ones i have seen.

what is a fair price for one?

How do they handle?
doctor_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 606
I had an 04 and a 06 Ruckus, great scoots, but now I really love my Zuma 125, would never go back to the Ruckus.

There is no comparison in power. I would split traffic on the Ruckus and get to the head of the line, but when the lights changed it was uh-oh, no such problem on the Zuma, you are long gone
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #30
Perp
Museum Piece

Oddometer: 1,301
Something followed me home yesterday...

http://picasaweb.google.com/Xegunda/20101008#
Perp is offline   Reply With Quote