Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,914
Rear-ended by a truck on the interstate?!? Glad you're OK!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalthazaarCalrissian
Fishkens can you recommend any 40-50 mph routes for this? Or would I have to use interstates to get around NM?
Interstates in NM? There are only two (25 and 40) and they're best avoided. The two-lanes throughout NM are wonderful to ride. My only caution is to be careful nights and weekends because when I lived there (10 and 20 years ago) they had one of highest frequency of drunk drivers in the country (I believe that Montana was worse).

The Enchanted Circle is popular and beautiful but not exceptional because there are many other two lanes that are fascinating.

Enchanted Circle
From Taos Plaza, Hwy. 64 north to Hwy. 522 north to Questa; Hwy. 38 east to Red River, then 64 south to Eagle Nest; Hwy 64 west to Angel Fire; continuing on Hwy. 64 west to return to Taos

If you travel from Santa Fe to Abq take Hwy 14, not I-25. Or go through Galisteo.

You could spend a few weeks riding the roads around the Valles Caldera (a huge - 12 miles across - volcanic crater) in the Jemez mountains. Fricken A! I want to go back there right noe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valles_Caldera

Yes, you could easily spend all your time in NM off the super slab.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
same clutch screws

Yep, I was tooling around town on my SL350 and lost clutch. It too was missing the screws. Glad you found the hardware store.

The semi up the rear is the #1 fear of most vintage riders. How come they always complain about THEIR problems when they just about killed you and you are sitting there in shock. I don't know what you want to hear in that situation, but it likely ain't their "poor me" attitudes. Frankly, I hope this does get him off the road.

LashLarue screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 08:10 PM
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
Medic09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Well, if you're coming down to Santa Fe, I've got a '78 Honda 750Four that is sitting largely neglected. Runs well enough, just needs a tune-up and oil change. (I do all the grocery hauling and commuting on the Tiger.) Been thinkin' 'bout selling it...

Glad you're okay! Sounds like you have the right sense of what adventure can be. See ya on the road!

'07 aprilia Caponord
'75 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
Medic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Routes

A 70cc bike almost has enough power to get out of it's own way. Stay off interstates for sure on any bike that can't go faster than most of the traffic. There are good secondary roads heading west. You might use google map to check them out too. You can take highway 152 from OKC all the way to Dumas TX. It seems to end there but then other highways similar like 87 appear to start where it left off. My smallest bike is a KLR 650 and I thought that was the smallest you could really travel on until I read nathanthepostman trip on CT110 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIWAN
A 70cc bike almost has enough power to get out of it's own way. Stay off interstates for sure on any bike that can't go faster than most of the traffic. There are good secondary roads heading west. You might use google map to check them out too. You can take highway 152 from OKC all the way to Dumas TX. It seems to end there but then other highways similar like 87 appear to start where it left off. My smallest bike is a KLR 650 and I thought that was the smallest you could really travel on until I read nathanthepostman trip on CT110 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631
He was doing 70 mph when hit. The CB350 twin in 325cc.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
BalthazaarCalrissian OP
n00bl3tte

Oddometer: 45
Honda Passport

The 70cc thing is referring to my ridiculous idea for a Super Cub as my next bike. I think it was the pain medicine talking.

I going to try to fix my 350 if the insurance will settle for a reasonable amount and let me keep it. If not, I'm almost set on another XT500, although the experience of the last one still haunts me. The fact that it ran (for as long as it did) after being cobbled together by the PO still amazes me, as does my trusting in him, being dropped off two hours from home and trying to ride it home. But that's another story.

Now to read about nathanthepostman...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #23
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The 70cc thing is referring to my ridiculous idea for a Super Cub as my next bike. I think it was the pain medicine talking.

I going to try to fix my 350 if the insurance will settle for a reasonable amount and let me keep it. If not, I'm almost set on another XT500, although the experience of the last one still haunts me. The fact that it ran (for as long as it did) after being cobbled together by the PO still amazes me, as does my trusting in him, being dropped off two hours from home and trying to ride it home. But that's another story.

Now to read about nathanthepostman...
With a bent frame I would not spend any money on that cb350. But I would look for a cheap parts bike. You never really got a chance to enjoy the cb350 experience before moving on. That said, there are a ton of other fun vintage bikes out there. To tour at 70 mph on a cb350, you must be a pretty good wrentcher.

Keep in mind when looking for your next vintage touring bike that the hardest thing to find for them is the rack and/or panniers. I have passed on several lately that come naked.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #24
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
man im glad that im not the only one addicted to this website.
1:30am - SLEEP!!!!!
There are just so many good and inspiring reports.

Spending way too much time her......oh well :)
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #25
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
conejo valley. conejo means rabbit
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. What we consider "adventure" friends and family call "stupidity". Sometimes its hard to tell the difference. I can honestly say the most fun and exhilaration I've had with my clothes on was on a motorcycle. Like speeding through a certain college town with no helmet out of my mind on mushrooms laughing maniacally. Riding home from Santa Barbara down highway 1 after a few beers in heavy fog. On my OKC to LA trip on my W650 (great machine, miss it) I raced a freight train on I-40 in the middle of the Arizona desert where their track is parallel. Going 100 mph for hours in the desert. People who don't ride or appreciate the thrill and see only the danger can never really understand. Life has to be lived with certain risks in order to feel alive.

At the end of the trip one of the best moments in my life was heading north on 101 entering Camarillo, CA at dusk and the mountains and valley were painted beautiful colors. Any Cali people know the name of that valley I'm talking about? I lived there for a year and I never thought about it. Unfortunately that trip's photos were lost; I took photos with my Samsung phone that disintegrated. I only have one that my friend took as I was leaving.

Brunstei, they are going to write off the 350, so I'm going to try and keep it with a salvage title and cafe it. When I the overall settlement from my injuries comes through I'm going to get an old BMW or maybe Norton(dreaming). In the meantime I have my next adventure bike already lined up from an older gentleman: a baby blue C70 Passport. It can be used with my wrist in a cast and handle plenty of luggage. Not to mention its a p*ssy magnet!

I'm going to go camping in NM, I want to visit Santa Fe and also visit Chaco Canyon, I went as a kid. I'm also going to finish my tour of NE OK and NW Arkansas. Fishkens can you recommend any 40-50 mph routes for this? Or would I have to use interstates to get around NM?
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
The insurance company will try a little waiting game and will also try to low ball you first. Deep down they are going to be overwhelmed with glee ( and surprise) that you didn't get hurt worse..not because they love you so much but because they were looking at a $1 million dollar lawsuit.

You are lucky you weren't killed. The trucking company was responsible for hiring this dirtball in the first place.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #27
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Your next bike needs to have enough horsepower to allow you to travel slightly faster than the trafic around you. I would rather deal with what's in front of me than to worry about someone hitting me from behind.

As someone said, the first offer from that guy's insurance will be a low ball. But I'm sure your attorney already knows that.

If the bike is totaled by the insurance company, as it most surely will. Be aware that the salvage value is negotiable. I received a high price from my insurance company to buy it back after they totaled it. I went back to them with a series of blue book values and argued my case. They not only lowered the cost, but went lower than what I was fighting for.

Lastly, be very careful if they total the bike and turn it into a salvage title. It makes it very hard to get insurance on the bike after it is classified as salvaged. You don't want to buy the bike back and realize you can't get insurance for it.
MarylandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,640
First of all...Wow! Rear ended by a semi and pretty well walked away from it, you are one lucky man. I usually ride I-35 between Pauls Valley and OKC twice a week on my XR650R to get to work at the other job. The gravel trucks always have me on edge...

It really is a bummer about your CB. With the bent frame, you may be better off salvaging all the goodies off of it and back to another, good, frame. Like was previously suggested, keep tabs on what sells on e-bay and cycle trader (TraderOnline.com) and save the print-outs for similar bikes for a price comparison. Otherwise you'll be lucky to see a few hundred dollars for the bike. I had to go that route a few years ago with an old Mazda pickup truck. The difference was about $2500 in my favor and I got to keep the truck.

Thanks for the story and the pics. I sure am glad you are OK.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
BalthazaarCalrissian OP
n00bl3tte

Oddometer: 45
thanks

Its all up to an attorney now guys.

I agree more horsepower and torque might be necessary.

That's why my next bike will be a Hayabusa.....KIDDING.

I'm currently recuperating from the wrist surgery, a little high on meds.
Blending in...

After much thought I've decided my next bike should be a /2 BMW, or another XT/SR500. They offer reliability, simplicity and in my opinion beauty. Of course the BMW's cost quite a bit being collectible. I'm on the lookout for a project or running project to fix up this winter to be ready for spring. Anybody seen one for cheap?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #30
Farmer_Ted
Crazy Kid!

Oddometer: 303
Check out Kansas City Craigslist. There are a lot of old Honda's/BMW's for sale at good prices.

Even two sweet Ural sidecar rigs! Def. a chick magnet!

Current Ride - 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Farmer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote