User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #31
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Brand New Project Bike

Hope your surgeon was as good as mine. If so you should get stitches out in 7-10 days of surgery and then a temp/removable split made up. Get a neoprene wrist support similar to http://www.jcwhitney.com/ws91-wrist-...terid=c24050j3 . It will help with all things.

If you can't stay off the Interstate highways you need a bike that can travel at least 80-85 indicated which is really only 75-80 actual. I have a GL1800, R1150GS & KLR650 and use to have a ST1100 & CBR1100XX. They ALL indicated 5 mph faster than I was going. ALL my friends bikes do the same, so if your speed indicates 70, you ain't doing no 70.

Now as far as a new project bike it looks like there are still several new 09 KLR's to be had for about 4.5K. But wait, it's still a project bike just waiting to be messed with. It needs a "doohickey". You should put some engine guards on and maybe a center stand. You might even want to lower it. Even if you don't lower it you might still want to cut .5-.75 inches off the side stand. And no I can't flat foot it on a KLR, mine is not lowered. I can get 1 foot kinda sorta down but I can only fall over on one side at a time so I only need the foot down on that side. I'm 5'5.5'' on a good day but weigh enough that the suspension squats down with me on the bike. The BMW is a good bike but you can get 2 new KLR's for the price of a used one or 3.5 KLR's for the price of a new BMW. I can ride the KLR where the speed limit it 70 and no one passes me but I avoid those roads as much as possible. You sit up way higher and that makes you a little more noticeable than if you butt is 25 inches off the road. Really rough back roads are fun on the KLR because it really doesn't care.

Any how, maybe consider a KLR. They made a change in 2008 and had some oil consumption problems with some or a lot of the 2008's so stay away from that year. Mine is a 2009 with no problems. It's really a fun bike.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.

OBIWAN screwed with this post 10-11-2010 at 07:51 AM
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #32
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Corbin Seat and your panniers

That is some funny sh*t! I'm referring to your ability to paint a word picture, Not the getting whacked by the truck. Man, you are one lucky dude. I know standing there with a geeked up wrist and no bike it might be hard to feel very lucky but you are able to walk and talk after a potentially deadly situation.
The previous posters suggestion about the KLRs is spot on. You can usually find one with a couple of thousand miles or so on them for the 2900-3100 dollar range. Not sure about the new 2009 for 4500.00 though. I heard the same thing and offered a Kawi dealer 4700.00 for one and he wouldn't come off the 5000 (discounted from the 5400 MSRP at the time -May this year). I showed him I went and got me a F800GS. Seriously, I was looking hard at the KLR and the Suzuki DR650- both were sweet but when I saw the F800 I was a goner. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Take care and keep us aprised of your continuing adventure.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #33
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalthazaarCalrissian

Hey! I saw this pic over on the advridersofwalmart.com site!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #34
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 72
Quite the Adventure

"I got off the bike, threw my helmet down and smoked like 5 cigarettes. I had a mixture of emotions: anger, fear but mostly happy to be alive!
I was really bored and looking for adventure on the trip and I got it!"

This is classic. Hours of bordom interupted by moments of shear terror!

Just goes to show you that Adventure is where you find it. You don't have to go half way around the globe, and spend thosands to find it.

Rastus screwed with this post 10-18-2010 at 07:14 PM
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #35
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Good Enough

Oh yeah, don't let the doctors and PT's con you into thinking you will have a "full recovery", there ain't no such thing as full. You will always have some issues with the wrist so don't ever get down if you don't ever seem to have that mythical full recover. As long as things are good enough to last you for the next 50-60 years that's all you need.

I came across this thing on cycle trader today. http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...gs-Pd-96480653 . If I didn't already have a 2002 GS I would find a way to get this. I remember the first time I saw one of these in Colorado Springs back in 1998. I thought that was one of the neatest bikes I had ever seen.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #36
captaincaveman1999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
You should be the mascot for ADV with that seen-it-all look on your face at walmart. Bent, but certainly not broken.

Funny how we (I should say I) spend hours and $$$ hunting for the best jacket, best gloves, best tires for my 100 mile trip around the block on my late model fuel-injected 100+ hp reliable-as-a-stone motorcycle. And then there's you on your 350 with carry-on luggage as panniers.

Well, hope you heal up soon and the insurer cuts you a nice fat check to cover everything and then some.
captaincaveman1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #37
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
man, so amazing what happened with very happy to survive results. closest for me was just being startled by the shadow of a passing semi falling over me. he must of been going 80+ and that alone was enough to make me lose my tan for several hours. I cannot imagine how it felt to actually get hit like you did. maybe you should also play a lottery or two with that good luck. best wishes for a speedy and good recovery. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #38
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalthazaarCalrissian
Its all up to an attorney now guys.

I agree more horsepower and torque might be necessary.

That's why my next bike will be a Hayabusa.....KIDDING.

I'm currently recuperating from the wrist surgery, a little high on meds.
Blending in...

After much thought I've decided my next bike should be a /2 BMW, or another XT/SR500. They offer reliability, simplicity and in my opinion beauty. Of course the BMW's cost quite a bit being collectible. I'm on the lookout for a project or running project to fix up this winter to be ready for spring. Anybody seen one for cheap?

Holy crap, you look like a strung out HOBO, ouch dude!